Key West v. Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a good point about driving CTSean. The Courtyard by Marriott in Key Largo is very convenient like that. You can get to just about anything you need on foot. It's located right on the marina, and the marina is surrounded by restaurants, hotels, convenience stores...even Divers Direct :D Very high on the "convenience" scale!

Rainbow Reef Dive Center is located right at the base of the Marriott hotel. They run an excellent, safe dive operation and PADI Instructor Development Center. There are always plenty of knowledgeable instructors around. Both divers and snorkelers are allowed on the boats, so your family could still be together. They have two boats going out - one to deeper sites and one to shallower sites. The shallow sites are great for snorkelers too.

My idea of the best compromise would be to stay in Key Largo and take one day to drive down to Key West to experience some of the main tourist attractions...especially sunset at Mallory Square :D

I wouldn't stay in Key Wierd with a young family. If I visited "the southernmost beach" with them I would make sure I was driving back to Key Largo by sunset.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

If you can fit it in, I would try to stay at Marriotts on both islands. They have a lot to offer between the two settings both on land and underwater. I prefer the Key Largo reefs to some off KW but the Vandenberg is a singular dive as are the wrecks off Key Largo.

I wouldn't stay in Key Wierd with a young family. If I visited "the southernmost beach" with them I would make sure I was driving back to Key Largo by sunset.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Care to ellaborate on why? As previously mentioned there's tons of family friendly activities, including some at night (ghost tours for example- either by foot or by trolley) I'm sure there's some places one shouldn't bring kids after dark (Living Dolls for example) but I not sure that requires an evacuation of the island.

Thanks, many good points to consider. Please keep them coming!

"Weird" doesn't bother us (we're from San Francisco Bay Area, after all--we know how to handle it with respect to the kids).

Thanks, many good points to consider. Please keep them coming!

"Weird" doesn't bother us (we're from San Francisco Bay Area, after all--we know how to handle it with respect to the kids).

I just came back from the keys, stayed at both key west and largo. Tbh I wouldn't recommend the diving in either, too crowded even if you find a small op due to all the boats going out to the same reef.
Key west in the summer is very crowded, take that as you may, I like being able to walk down a road without having to dodge people, bums, workers in a rush, aggressive Sellers, etc. Spent 3 days at key west, couldn't get out fast enough.
If you do stay there, check it danger charters, they were really good with us. Also there is a little store that can help you book activities with longer prices, its lie a travel agency I believe. There is one in key west, they give you free service and better prices plus the advice, I recommend them as well.

I liked the diving in isla morada much more than any of the other keys, less crowds, more pristine looking reefs, their bio diversity is off the charts. Half an hour south of largo but its a worthy place to check out, sea monkeys is a great dive OP there, they run a 6 pack boat, 2 owners, one is your dive guide and the other is the store attendant, really accommodating, ask about being able to bring snorkelers though.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I've done the Marriott points thing in the Keys several times. For proximity to diving, nothing beats the Courtyard in Key Largo. There are two dive ops that literally dock their boats right up against the hotel. From ther, you can throw a stone and hit three or four more dive ops.

As for Key West, the Courtyard Marriott is very nice, but I've usually stayed at the Fairfield Inn. It is the cheapest and has a free breakfast. :dork2:

One bit of advice I would highlt recommend...rent a car and drive through the Keys. It is such a beautiful drive jumping from island to island and there are so many little out-of-the-ordinary places to stop and check out. Just, don't be in a hurry-accidents can cause some nasty traffic jams.

Care to ellaborate on why? As previously mentioned there's tons of family friendly activities, including some at night (ghost tours for example- either by foot or by trolley) I'm sure there's some places one shouldn't bring kids after dark (Living Dolls for example) but I not sure that requires an evacuation of the island.

I believe that navigating a straight line is the best way to find the boat. If you're not on course, I prefer that I don't know about it.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Key largo... A day trip or over night to key west.... It's a party town.... Largo has more diving and getting with a 6 pack boat you can customize your trip out.. Many places on the reefs to snorkel and dive at the same spot... Also they have boat rentals at pennycamp park...

jim...

I love Key West, but I think calling it a family place is about as accurate as calling Vegas the same. I know there are things for kids to do, but really they are about adults behaving...yeah...you know what I mean.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom