Key West in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merfman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are taking our very first trip to they Keys in March of 2011. We have all the FAQ that I'm sure you get here.... I've scanned through the posts here and found a few that were relative. We'll be staying at Hyatt Beach House Resort in Key West.

So, any recommendations for dive shops, must-do dives, cautionary tales, etc would be greatly appreciated. Neither of us have ever been to Florida and while this will be a dive-centric vacation, we'd like to take in the best of your state!

Thanks in advance,

Merf (in Colorado)

Hey Merf!

Saw your comments about KW over in the Coz section, which is where I hang out pretty much. However, the DH & I do go to the Keys frequently, so thought I'd come over and see if I had 2 cents to share. LOL!

Personally we have done all our diving further up the Keys than KW, primarily in Marathon and Key Largo. We usually stay in Marathon (MM50) as our 'home base', and dive there as well as Key Largo. Also did a day trip and dove Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary, which isn't too far from KW and has nice spur & groove formations - just easy diving. Close by Looe Key is the Adolphus Busch wreck, but somehow we always seem to miss diving that on our trips. In comparison to the middle & upper Keys, KW diving isn't supposed to be as good. However, KW now has the Vandenberg, and that has got to be a blast. We hope to do at least a day trip down to dive it on our next trip to the Keys in May '11.

I realize this isn't much help with info about KW, but you may want to look at a few day trips up to Marathon or at least Looe Key. And hopefully someone around her that actually does dive KW may pop up with some info for you. Hope you have a great trip and great diving!!

Thanks Kat! We're staying at KW simply because that's where we were able to swap our timeshare. Should there be better diving elsewhere, I'm sure we'll be willing to take a drive to dive! Thanks for the info, we're still very in the planning stage so any/all info is very welcome!

BTW, Happy Belated Birthday! My granddaughter's BD was yesterday and mine was the 11th....

LOL ... Happy Belated Birthday to you too!! We're a bunch of 'almost' Christmas kids! My sister's is Wednesday!

I understand the timeshare thing ... we actually trade our BlueGreen timeshare from Charleston for one in Marathon (The Hammocks). We were doing it every other year but liked Marathon so much we bought a 2nd hand BlueGreen timeshare so we could trade for Marathon every year. (Although we accidentally skipped this year, so we may be going twice next year!)

Since you're going in March, we would love to hear how things go - especially if you dive the Vandenberg. I think Looe Key NMS is about 25 miles from KW, Marathon is 50, and Key Largo is around 95, which is a pretty long haul. From Key West you can always access the Dry Tortugas, but I think all the diving is on livaboards. They do have day-trips for snorkeling, and it's supposed to be beautiful.

What the heck! It's Florida, the water is blue! As long as we find places to get wet it's always a great day! Have fun researching, and even more fun on the trip!:D

Merfman,

I lived in KW for 13 years, I taught diving at the community collage and was a diver for the sheriff"s Office befor my nursing carreer brought me to the high plains of west Tx. :(.

Don't let lower keys bashers fool you, there is still great diving around Key Weird, you just have to know what to ask for.

Most of the opporators offer similar trips. 2, 2 tank trips a day. Most will do the wrecks in the am, and reefs in the afternoon. Prices will vary. Dive Key West (N. Roosevelt near shopping centers Owners Bob and Cece) tends to be the most expensive, but they do put DMs in the water, which is not the norm in the keys. Captains Corner (Green St and Flemming owned by Leslie) is at the other end of the pricing , runs a good trip , but is a larger boat with more divers and about a 4ft giant stride. In between, and my favorite, is Lost Reef adventures (200 block of Margeret st, across from Half Shell Raw Bar owned by Nick Collasar).

The Vandenberg is the big attraction dive in KW bigshipwrecks.com, 600+ ft missile tracking ship sunk in 140ft of water May27 2009. Don't let the depth freak you out, this is a big mother. Structure rises to 50ft and there is a lot to see on the exterior. Search it on youtube there are a lot of videos (defending the vandenberg is amazing).

One of my favorite dives gets a bumb rap. Joes Tug sits is a 60 ft harbor tug that was illigaly sunk in the 80s in 65 ft. Hurricanes have ripped her apart and she is more of a debris feild, but she was sunk on the outer reef and is absolutly loaded with life. Think of it as an outer reef dive with wreckage. This is a good warm up dive before tackling the Vandy.

The popular inner reefs (Sand Key, Rock Key, Western Sambos, 9 ft stake) are hurting big time as far as the coral goes, but are still loaded with fish. These reefs all range from 30 to 10 ft in depth.

The outer reefs (Lost reef, the humps) are about 40 ft deep and the corrals are much healthier.

Diving in the Keys is generally done from a mooring ball, but if conditions allow the occasional drift dive does happen.

Generally the first people to sign up for a trip can request the type of dive (double wreck, wreck/ reef, double reef) and to some extent location, But ultimatly the captain will decide based on conditions.

March still may be windy wich effects seastate and visibilty, the good news is the wind is often from the north that time of year putting the majority of the sites in the lee.

Water temp should be in the mid 70s, a shorty may be fine for you Rockies, but the locals will be wearing 7mil and hoods.

Have fun and safe dives
trtldvr

Ps if you use any of the shops I suggested tell them Bob Guhl is dry, but alive and well.

Out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom