Recommendations for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 18 year old nephew would like to get certified for scuba, and is thinking about taking his first dive trip over Christmas break. He tried it once at a resort and loved his one and only test dive. Can anyone recommend a good choice for a beginner's first dive vacation? I think Hawaii would be pretty chilly and possibly choppy that time of year, but what about Roatan, or the Florida Keys, or? I'm a diver and am excited to take him somewhere, but don't want to make his first trip a bad experience - so I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Learning scuba diving can be a thrilling experience! Here are some steps you can take to get started:

Find a reputable scuba diving course provider: Look for a certified scuba diving course provider in your area. You can use online resources or ask for recommendations from friends or family who have experience with scuba diving.

Sign up for a scuba diving course: Enroll in a scuba diving course that suits your level of experience and interests. Most courses will include theory lessons, pool training, and open water dives.

Obtain a medical clearance: Before you begin your scuba diving course, you will need to obtain a medical clearance from a doctor. This is to ensure that you are physically fit to scuba dive.

Get the right gear: Your scuba diving course provider will provide you with the necessary scuba gear for the course. However, you may want to consider purchasing your own gear once you complete the course.

Practice, practice, practice: Practice your scuba diving skills regularly to build your confidence and become a more skilled diver.

Remember that scuba diving can be a fun and rewarding activity, but safety should always be your top priority. Listen carefully to your instructor's guidance and never dive beyond your limits. Enjoy your scuba diving experience!

My 18 year old nephew would like to get certified for scuba, and is thinking about taking his first dive trip over Christmas break. He tried it once at a resort and loved his one and only test dive. Can anyone recommend a good choice for a beginner's first dive vacation? I think Hawaii would be pretty chilly and possibly choppy that time of year, but what about Roatan, or the Florida Keys, or? I'm a diver and am excited to take him somewhere, but don't want to make his first trip a bad experience - so I'd appreciate any suggestions!
How about Chrystal River to see the manatees?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom