Key West Express from Ft. Myers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it takes 3-4hours each way. You can go down one day and stay a few nights and come back on another day (but I guess in season you'd want to confirm that is possible).

I was going to do it once (but then they had a problem on the boat that day, so I ended up driving). Driving is not so bad if you break up the journey by diving in Key Largo or Marathon on the way down. Ft Myers-> Key West is 300 miles driving, but takes 5-6 hours as the last 100 miles is pretty slow.

If you take the Key West express please let me know how it is. I fly into Ft. Lauderdale several times a year and then drive down to the Key West. I hate renting a car just to use for the drive down and back. I never use the car once in Key West must be something about that Duval crawl:cheers:

pssst: Moonlight...you would have to drive from FLL to Fort Myers to pick up the express...about 2-1/2 hours each way, still having to rent a car...still worth it to ya? :crafty:

it takes 3-4hours each way. You can go down one day and stay a few nights and come back on another day (but I guess in season you'd want to confirm that is possible).

I was going to do it once (but then they had a problem on the boat that day, so I ended up driving). Driving is not so bad if you break up the journey by diving in Key Largo or Marathon on the way down. Ft Myers-> Key West is 300 miles driving, but takes 5-6 hours as the last 100 miles is pretty slow.

I live in Tampa and a trip to Key West is around 8 hours for me. I really don't like to drive. This would be a non-diving trip. :)shocked2: I know, why would I) So I was thinking it is about 2 hours or so drive to Ft. Myers from Tampa and then another 3 and a half to Key West on a boat watching TV or reading or relaxing or sleeping instead of another 6 hours of driving. Sounds like a no-brainer for me! :cool2:

pssst: Moonlight...you would have to drive from FLL to Fort Myers to pick up the express...about 2-1/2 hours each way, still having to rent a car...still worth it to ya? :crafty:

Or you could just fly into Ft. Myers Airport and skip the drive from FLL

I live in Tampa and a trip to Key West is around 8 hours for me. I really don't like to drive. This would be a non-diving trip. :)shocked2: I know, why would I) So I was thinking it is about 2 hours or so drive to Ft. Myers from Tampa and then another 3 and a half to Key West on a boat watching TV or reading or relaxing or sleeping instead of another 6 hours of driving. Sounds like a no-brainer for me! :cool2:
Very fun trip! It is like 3 1/2 hours on the boat. Full bar. Drops you off in key west. You can get a hotel room and stay a few days, or you can get back on the boat about 5:00 pm. I met a lot of fun people. But I am a social butterfly.

It sure does sound like fun...if I lived near Fort Myers! :)
Or you could just fly into Ft. Myers Airport and skip the drive from FLL
Yes, that would be smarter, wouldn't it? :blinking:

It used to be $89.00 if you came back on the same day, but $139.00 if you stayed more than a day. Don't know if that is still true. If you are alone it is worth it, in a group it is a waste of money to save an hour or two. From my front door to KW is 5 to 5 1/2 hours. I live five minutes from the ferry- which takes anywhere from 3 1/2 to 4 hours depending on seas. If there are four of you you are looking at almost $500 in ferry tickets vs. $125 in gas to drive.

Also note if seas are bad the ferry won't go. You may find yourself stuck a day or two...or even buying a one way flight back to Fort Myers.

The trip is fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom