Key West Express from Ft. Myers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've not taken the boat though it docks near my sailboat (I walk past the ticket office to get to my sailboat behind it. I'm with Matt on the cost, but if it were just my wife and I heck yeah we'd do it. That drive is tiresome and I can think of better ways to spend the time other than stresses of driving.

The best was flying down with our friend. One hour and fifteen minutes of flight. 20 minutes later we were on the trolly to Duval street. Saw a great sunrise on the way there, had a great day, got Cheeseburgers in paradise at Margaritaville and flew home OVER a thunderstorm off to the east and sunset to the west. It was a six seater plane (Cessina 210), we had 6 on board, we split the gas bill and other fee's 6 ways and it worked out to about $100 each :)

Hey, if anyone is going to hit the Key West Express, drop me a line, I'll meet you at the dock and we can get a pitcher of Key West Ale at Bonita Bills :D

Hey, if anyone is going to hit the Key West Express, drop me a line, I'll meet you at the dock and we can get a pitcher of Key West Ale at Bonita Bills :D

a pitcher at at 8am ? ...well I guess that would be getting into the Spirit of things :D

I'll meet you the night before when I go! I'll buy the first pitcher! :D

There is nothing wrong with driving. You just have to have the proper mindset. I enjoy the drive. Once you get on the Keys you just chill out and enjoy the water as you ease on down there. Hell its paradise. You just get a little more time to enjoy it if you drive.

If you're going in a group of 3 or more, it's more cost effective to drive it, and usually faster, and you're not on the boat's timetable.

I've taken the Ferry a couple times from FMB to Key West, but have told myself I'll drive it next time. The trip takes closer to 4 hours, and you also have to arrive at the pier 30-60 mins prior to departure. It can be a fun trip though, as long as the seas aren't too rough (have heard horror stories of dozens of sea-sick people on the boat). And, you can drink and gamble on the boat!

By the way, I just moved to Fort Myers from the D.C. area... would love to meet some local divers!! I heard yesterday of some pretty cool towers that were sunk about 20 miles offshore in the Gulf. Has anyone heard of this wreck?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom