Key West diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey ya'll,

I am going to Key West week after next and was looking for some ideals for a good dive shop to dive out while I am there. Last year, I dove with South Pointe Dive Shop, and they put on a good show. From what I heard I picked the best dive shop on the island. This year, I am wanting to dive from a different shop, so hopefully I won't have to dive the same reef. I am willing to travel off Key West to another key (within reasonable distance, not going all the way back up to Key Largo for a afternoon dive.

Any ideals would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul =-)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but most of the dive trips done by different shops are basically to the same reef locations. By going to another shop all you have really done is change boats so if you were very happy with South Pointe, why not use them again?
I could dive the same reef 50 times and encounter 50 different experiences and see something different on every dive. I highly doubt diving a reef once a year, even if it's the same one will yield a dissapointing experience. just my thoughts :)

.....but I only go down there once a year, so I would like to vary what I see. Diving on the same reef will more then likely give me chance to see it in different ways each time. And if I went down to Key West more then once a year I wouldn't have a problem diving the same reef. Know what I mean there Vern?

Paul=-)

If you want info on the keys you might want to go to
NDI Club Locations
Florida Conch Divers section
on this board. Most of the locals and the people that dive down here are on that section alot

Paul - I walked in the door 10 minutes ago from my flight back from Key West. Here's what I found, who I used, etc. Keep in mind I'm a new diver (my dives were #'s 2 thru 7) so my opinion may not be as relevant as some others might be.

Dove with Sea Breeze on Sunday for a sunset dive (not a night dive) because we had some snorkeling friends and a friend coming in early afternoon, i.e. not early enough for a 1 pm excursion. This was a great boat for a number of reasons. The crew was absolutely fantastic (better than the other two later in the week which were more traditional LDS's). Very friendly and entertaining. We had about 13 people on board a boat that could hold about 35. The other great aspect of this operation is the sunset portion--while the rest of the goons are waiting on the pier for the sun to set, you're out catching one of the better sunsets you'll ever see from a prime location. Plus the beer and wine are complimentary =-) . I believe they are 1 of only a few that do these sunset dives. The dives themselves were also in different locations (again, other 2 were the same spot). Not sure of the name, both reef dives, both great. They are located at the very end of Front Street, which is the last street on the right headed northbound on Duval.

Monday dove with Lost Reef, which as posted has been around awhile. 9 am dive produced just 3 divers and a snorkeler, and 1 diver bailed, which made two. Crew was friendly, we headed out to Rock Key and Sand Key for 2 dives. These are apparently two of the spots that most shops tend to frequent, and it's kind of a shame because you can't even trick yourself into thinking you're in a different place because there's the enormous Sand Key lighthouse right there to let you know you were there two days ago. Crew was friendly with Lost Reef, but again there were only 4 of us so who the hell else were they gonna talk to?

Wednesday was Subtropic, and despite the recommendations I found the crew to be significantly less personable than the other two. Maybe it was a bad day. I think their strong reputation might actually be hurting them a bit because the boat was a shade overcrowded. Same deal, Sand and Rock Key.

Anyway, the water was basically bath temp--after about an hour per dive without a wetsuit I was very comfortable temp-wise everytime. Saw all the usual stuff (but, disappointingly, no shark), including most memorably a 4-foot barracuda which we gave a berth as wide as he wanted. Also some tarpon that were in the same 4-foot range; beautiful, big grouper, enormous lobster, etc. Also be on the lookout for a huge stone wheel (I believe on Sand Key, ask your DM about it) that apparently was used way back as a mooring to quarantine big ships but was knocked out by a hurricane (in the 50's?) and ended up on its side against a reef. Must be in the 15-18 foot diameter range, and pretty neat.

If I was going back next week (damnit, I wish I was!) I'd head back to Sea Breeze for the different dives and the terrific crew.

Anyway, hope this helps, and happy diving!

Brian

Heck, if you want something different, make the run out to the Dry Tortugas. There are bugs out there so big they look at you like you're lunch. (too bad ya can't catch 'em in most places tho)
If you don't want to spend that much, sneak back up the highway to Cudjoe or Big Pine for a run to Looe Key or the Busch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom