Key West December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

llBuckshotll

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just booked Key West for December. Had enough of work and need to get to the beach and do some diving! We'll be staying at the Pier House. Just starting researching and have come across South Point Divers. Any info on the area and dive ops would be appreciated.

My wife and I are have been certified for a year. 5 dives in Jamaica, 2 in Lake Mead, 10 in Cozumel and I was lucky enough to nap 2 more in Cancun. Only OW certified, but we've hit 90' in Cozumel. Looks like you can do the Vandenberg Wreck with only OW cert if you have a dive guide. We're hoping to get 4-5 days of diving in.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Get the guide. Southpoint isn't my first choice, but for the way you've described yourselves, you will be fine with them. They are close to your hotel.

Yea we always take a guide, especially in new areas.

Any place else you'd recommend? What would be your first choice? We'll have a car so some travel isn't a problem.

Thanks

Looe Key is an excellent choice for some fine reefs close to Key West. The very best in the Keys is in the Dry Tortugas. Finz Dive Center at Hurricane Hole will take you there, it's an all day trip if the weather cooperates. The Vandenberg is a fine wreck if you like that sort of thing. Most folks do. Beware, the current can be ripping, enough so to make it dangerous.

Just booked Key West for December. Had enough of work and need to get to the beach and do some diving! We'll be staying at the Pier House. Just starting researching and have come across South Point Divers. Any info on the area and dive ops would be appreciated.

My wife and I are have been certified for a year. 5 dives in Jamaica, 2 in Lake Mead, 10 in Cozumel and I was lucky enough to nap 2 more in Cancun. Only OW certified, but we've hit 90' in Cozumel. Looks like you can do the Vandenberg Wreck with only OW cert if you have a dive guide. We're hoping to get 4-5 days of diving in.

Thanks in advance for the info!

You didn't say whether you are nitrox certified or not. I would certainly want to be nitrox certified to dive the Vandenberg. My son and I did 3 dives on the Vandenberg with @Wookie in 2015 off the M/V Spree (may she rest in peace). Our max depths were 96-112 feet, avg depths 68-73 feet, run times 45-53 minutes, on EAN32.

If you are not nitrox certified, you can do it online and then visit your LDS to analyze a couple of tanks.

You didn't say whether you are nitrox certified or not. I would certainly want to be nitrox certified to dive the Vandenberg. My son and I did 3 dives on the Vandenberg with @Wookie in 2015 off the M/V Spree (may she rest in peace). Our max depths were 96-112 feet, avg depths 68-73 feet, run times 45-53 minutes, on EAN32.

If you are not nitrox certified, you can do it online and then visit your LDS to analyze a couple of tanks.
You wait until the next one. I hope my plans aren't bigger than my wallet.... Fat chance of that.

I hope M/V Spree II comes soon.... I had a wonderful time a few years ago on a Dry Tortugas trip.

To the o/p: I've had a good experience with Captain's Corner but they are not a 'hand holding' operation unless you hire a guide. I've also seen good comments on Finz but have never used them. Nitrox is beneficial: getting certified before your trip would be a good idea.

Definitely want to visit Dry Tortugas, but woooo @ $1,000. Thats steep and there isnt much info about the trip other then its all day and doesn't include fuel.

Not currently Nitrox Cert'd but been looking to do it. Could probably get it in between now and then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom