Key West area diving- whadaya think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and I are considering a trip to the Key West area next year and thought some diving would be fun while we're there, but I'm not seeing much about those parts here on SB...why do you suppose that is? Am I not looking in the right place?

What sort of diving does the Keys offer?

Thanks so much!
Pamela

The Conchs are not answering today because they are all hung over. Last night was the Fantasy Fest Parade; the biggest party of the year in a big party town

Contrary to what the upper keys folks will tell you there is good diving in the Lower Keys. Granted, upper keys reefs are healthier but the reefs down south still have A LOT of fish. Average reef depth is in the 20 to 30 foot range allowing for safe bottom tmes. The reefs are about 6 to 7 miles off shore so it is about 30 to 40 minit boat ride each way. I like Rock Key and the western end of Western Sambo.

Key West also has the Vandenberg. This is the 2nd largest ship intentionally sunk as an artificial reef. It was put on the bottom May 27 2009. It is 140 ft to the sand, 90 ft to the main deckwith structure raising to abot the 40 ft mark. This wreck has a lot of structure on the outside so has a lot to offer to divers of different skill levels. There is a lot of video and photos available on youtube and google.

Most of the shops run 2, 2 tank dives a day + the occasional night dive if there is interest.

I like Lost Reef Adventures (305-296-9737 ask for Nick) or Captains Corner (305-296-8918 ask for Leslie) ( tell them Bob Guhl says hi and I wish I was there) , but most of the shops run good opporations and it is not uncommon for the different shops to share crew as needed.

I hope this helps.

Safe Dives
trtldvr

PS: I lived, dove and played in KW for 13 years until my nursing carreer brought me to the high plaines of west Texas, so if you would need a personal guide to the Conch Republic, both above and below the water surface I am sure we could come to an agreement.

Have fun
Safe dives
trtldvr

Thanks Turtlediver!

Great info! Yup, a Fantasy Fest Halloween was exactly what I had in mind for next year, and thought perhaps I'd get some diving in as well.

A shed a tear for you there in Lubbock- I grew up there in the 60s and 70s then fled, never to return. Did you possibly know my Lubbock raised school chum Johnny Ray who now lives in Key West?

Are Key West corals pretty much skeletons by now? Where are these healthier northern Key reefs of which you speak?

Best wishes!
Shivaya

Thanks Turtlediver!

Great info! Yup, a Fantasy Fest Halloween was exactly what I had in mind for next year, and thought perhaps I'd get some diving in as well.

A shed a tear for you there in Lubbock- I grew up there in the 60s and 70s then fled, never to return. Did you possibly know my Lubbock raised school chum Johnny Ray who now lives in Key West?

Are Key West corals pretty much skeletons by now? Where are these healthier northern Key reefs of which you speak?

Best wishes!
Shivaya

I wouldn't call them skeletons, I was on the outer reef last week and had a frogfish, a seahorse, and the corals that were there are very healthy. The coral cover just isn't as high as it is in the North. That's not to say it isn't pretty, but it's a difference between 20% live cover and 30% live cover. Dry Tortugas is on the order of 50% live cover, and Flower Gardens is more like 80%. The fish life in Key West is far better than in the upper keys, just because the fishing pressure isn't as high. If you can find someone to take you out to Tortugas or to some of the Marquesas reefs, you'll think you went back in time.

I am sorry to say, I don't know Johny Ray (Dexy's Midnight Runners sang about him right???LOL) He got the better end of the deal as did Texas Tech football coach Mike Leach, they ened up there while I ended up here.

Let me know if you need more info
Safe Dives
Trtldvr

My husband and I are considering a trip to the Key West area next year and thought some diving would be fun while we're there, but I'm not seeing much about those parts here on SB...why do you suppose that is? Am I not looking in the right place?

What sort of diving does the Keys offer?

Thanks so much!
Pamela

Very Possibly, Pamela.....

Then you are not looking in the right place - if you go to the "Search" function, you will see many, many posts about the Keys, as well as Key West - one of the most popular topics - along with weather and sea condition questions for times way in the future. :shakehead:

I'll give you some feedback - based on 30+ years as a Miami resident and Keys diver:

I LOVE Key West - its a neat, unique place and highly recommend it it for a few days to anyone interested in a place not often seen in the United States.

Lots to recommend - except for the diving - which I give a huge thumbs down - even the Vandenberg, which we did a year ago - well, I know this goes contrary to many - I was not wowed - if you get great - or even good conditions, your experience could be better.

If you want to dive the Keys, best areas are Key Largo and Islamorada - sure, Looe Key is nice (its close to Key West) - but for more diversity, you need to go to KL and/or Islamorada.

Depending upon time and budget, you can combine the 2 - I'd dive the northern Keys and spend 2 nights in KW - KW is about 90 miles from Key Largo, so its not feasable to stay in KW and dive KL.

I prefer the upper Keys, I love the Key Largo area. I go to the Keys to dive not to party so the small town charm of Key Largo fits beautifully. Key West offers more things to do besides dive so if you have non divers or people who like to drink and have fun this may be more your type of trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom