Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian1968

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning to go to Key Largo at the end of February.

Any thoughts? Places to stay? Places to dive? Places *not* to stay or dive?

And what of equipment? What sort of exposure protection am I going to need there at that time of year?

I've been to Key Largo twice, and I really love it. I was really impressed with Paradise Charters, they were a great dive operation. They leave from the marina around mile marker 100. I believe they have a website, just do a search for them. There is a Ramada and Holiday on either side of the marina. I stayed at the Ramada and it was very nice. Just get up and walk to the boat each morning. I didn't get the chance, but definitely dive the Spiegel Grove, I hear it's great.

I haven't been there in Feb, but I think you can just use a 3 mm shorty. I dove in may with that and I was fine. As far as other gear, just the basics. They supply tanks and I think weights also.

Brian1968:
I just got back from Key Largo, and we had a great time. I had not been diving there since 1981, so I had the same questions you have. I did a search on the board and found about a million responses to similar queries, and the recomendations were all across the board. Way too tough to get a overwhelming push in anybodys direction.

However, after going through a lot of the old threads, I narrowed it down to a handfull of shops that looked like they were the type of operations I was looking for. I also bounced it off my dive buddies who had been there in the recent past, and also off of my LDS. I then called, a couple of times each, the two that looked like they fitted my type of diving desires. It could not have worked out better.

I ended up diving with Quiescence, and they were GREAT. I guess with all of the competition down there, they all have to be good, but Quiescence really took care of us. They have 3 different 6-pack boats, and we never had more than 5 on a boat the whole week. With the different boats, they can take care of the shallow reef divers and the Spiegel divers all at the same time. The captains were very friendly, and knowledgable, and had obviously been doing their thing for a long time. Very professional operation. They also set us up with our lodging.

And no, I don't live in Key Largo, am not related to anyone there, and have no connection whatsoever - just had a very good time with them.

Good luck on your search..

Also, be sure to eat at The Fish House and Hobo's.

Key Largo may be the most posted destination on the SB. If you try the Search button at the top here, and key in the name, you'll have many, many opinions, and then - be able to ask questions that may have answers.

February can be a little cool, maybe even cold at times, even there. 3 mil may be enough, and may not. Surface Interval chilling can be a threat. If you need some answers in that area, let us know. Do not wear a shorty on wreck dives, though, without a first aid kit, and gloves for the mooring lines are good idea on wreck dives.

Some operators are geared more to the newbie than others. Your profile gives some info, but how much ocean diving have you done in the last few months, how deep, conditions? Tell us more, and we can help better.

It is a fun place, and I'll go for my 4th or 5th time this year. Have fun...

don

I would have to agree with the earlier post about Paradise Charters. I have dove with them several times and have never been disappointed. Unlike many other operators in KL, they always have a DM in the water on every dive. I have heard good things about a number of other operators including Horizon and Ocean Divers. I have dove with Ocean Divers and would do so again.

I like the Ramada in the MM100 marina because it is in the marina as are several dive operators including the ones mentioned above which makes it nice to walk from your hotel to the boat. The Ramada is clean and usually pretty cheap. My favorite part is that all rooms have balconies and frigs and they do a complimentary continental breakfast daily.

Expect water temps in the low 70s so pack accordingly. I could probably get by with just a shorty, but many people would prefer a full wetsuit.

Molasses Reef, French Reef and the wreck of the Benwood are all fun, colorful and fairly shallow (under 40')

Quiessence......I second that!

They've been around over 25 years so they must be doing something right!

I've dived with them several times, most recently July 2002. Great time, great op, very accomodating, and a nice hotel package as well.

Check them out at......

www.keylargodiving.com

Back
Top Bottom