Key Largo-Rainbow Reef dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what drew you to Rainbow in the first place?

The people. I just really enjoyed everyone I met there, from the folks working in the shop, to the instructors, boat captain, and guides/DM's. Just one of those things, I clicked with them and they made the whole experience really positive. Not saying other boats and operations aren't just as good.

Best,
-Tim

These are not unique to the Keys. Every dive op sends out their boats at roughly the same time.

I don't understand about the buddy; are you saying you count the DM as your buddy? I also go solo to the Keys, and have never been without a buddy, and that is with the 6 pac QDS boats.

Whereas QDS offers small boats, no cramming, personalized service, a wider selection of dive sites (they have their own sites that other dive ops don't visit), on-site gear storage, and the same competitive pricing, I simply don't see an advantage that Rainbow has.

What I'd like to know is what you think their advantage is, what they have that others don't; why you chose them?

I don't understand; all the other shops will offer the same thing, weather permitting.

Just because the boat is big, doesn't mean it doesn't get cramped.

Yes, until you put 20+ divers and all their gear on it. These boats fill up quickly; everytime I see them; they are stuffed full of divers. I don't know about you, but that just doesn't appeal to me, and to many other people. Remember, all those people, you have to wait for them to splash, to get back on, to take up room with their gear, and of course, see them everywhere underwater.

I just don't see an advantage to them. Do you?

You keep talking about an advantage, it's a preference, just like you going with QDS is a preference. Like you said you and other divers prefer the 6 pack, others don't have a problem with what you call crowed boats.

And I wasn't going during high summer holiday season, but late fall, winter, the only holiday I've been is Memorial weekend and even then it wasn't crowded. Some of the "6 packs said they may or may not have divers". I've never had a problem with RR having divers

I do not count the DM as my buddy, but there as I stated there are always other single divers on the boat.

I have to ask, what is your special interest in QDS that you think they have an advantage over the other ops?
to
With a 6 pack if you have 5 divers that want to dive the Speigal Grove, and I prefer Molasses reef. which site are they going to choose? and is it fair to the one that doesn't get what they want since they also paid their money?

And as far as sites, hell they all look the same to me, same fish, same reef, same coral, and this is on 5 islands in the Caribbean.

I just really enjoyed everyone I met there, from the folks working in the shop, to the instructors, boat captain, and guides/DM's.
And since you actually DOVE with them, your opinion means a lot to me. Like I said, they've always impressed me. I've dove with most of the shops here in Key Largo, and most of them do fairly well, even when the boats get full.

If you don't like crowds, try to dive off weekend and avoid the long weekends.

You keep talking about an advantage, it's a preference, just like you going with QDS is a preference. Like you said you and other divers prefer the 6 pack, others don't have a problem with what you call crowed boats...I have to ask, what is your special interest in QDS that you think they have an advantage over the other ops?
What I was asking for was the reason you decided to pick them. Given the number of dive ops available, there must have been one reason; do they offer something that others don't?

I stated the advantages that I find with QDS: small boats, personalized service, on-site gear storage, a wider selection of dive sites, and the competitive pricing. I don't see a reason why I'd want to go with another op. Of the operations I've dove with, they have the most complete operation.

I do not count the DM as my buddy, but there as I stated there are always other single divers on the boat.

Do you find that this is a problem? I've never been concerned about finding another diver on a 6-pac.

With a 6 pack if you have 5 divers that want to dive the Speigal Grove, and I prefer Molasses reef. which site are they going to choose? and is it fair to the one that doesn't get what they want since they also paid their money?

This is another advantage to them; they operate 3 boats. If you want to go to the reef, then hop on that boat. You're not confined the way you are with some other ops in the keys that only run one boat.

And as far as sites, hell they all look the same to me, same fish, same reef, same coral, and this is on 5 islands in the Caribbean.
I notice subtle differences, there is more life, a wider variety of life. Of the "cool stuff" list for the Keys, over half has been on these sites. There is a distinct difference in these sites.

What I was asking for was the reason you decided to pick them. Given the number of dive ops available, there must have been one reason; do they offer something that others don't?

I stated the advantages that I find with QDS: small boats, personalized service, on-site gear storage, a wider selection of dive sites, and the competitive pricing. I don't see a reason why I'd want to go with another op. Of the operations I've dove with, they have the most complete operation.

Do you find that this is a problem? I've never been concerned about finding another diver on a 6-pac.

This is another advantage to them; they operate 3 boats. If you want to go to the reef, then hop on that boat. You're not confined the way you are with some other ops in the keys that only run one boat.

I notice subtle differences, there is more life, a wider variety of life. Of the "cool stuff" list for the Keys, over half has been on these sites. There is a distinct difference in these sites.

Okay, did you not read what I wrote? I don't usually go during crowded, holiday, summer weekends, it's usually during slow times. I can't say I called QDS, so I can't tell you what they said, but I did call a few ops that said if they didn't have 3 or more divers that they didn't go out. and I've read from a few people on this board that ops cancelled because they didn't have enough divers. The was also once are twice that RR was trying to get enough divers to do the afternoon dives on their overcrowded boat.

Now as far as your reply RR is not a problem for me, just like QDS is not a problem for you, so there is no problem, I'm not trying to switch you over, just tell you why I like them. I'm sure there is enough dive ops and divers to go around so lets just drop it.

Now as far as your reply RR is not a problem for me, just like QDS is not a problem for you, so there is no problem, I'm not trying to switch you over, just tell you why I like them. I'm sure there is enough dive ops and divers to go around so lets just drop it.
Neither am I. If that's your reason, then so be it.

I don't have anything else to add either, so dropping it is fine with me.

I always dive out of the Holiday Inn Marina. My experience has been that if a boat does not go for some reason, they just move you to another boat/operator. I do not dive Key Largo in the summer, that is what North Carolina is for. I have done many dives with only 2-4 divers on the big boats. Lots of shady areas to protect my abused skin.

The best part about the Keys in the summer is that we are cooler than most of the nation, the seas are predictably flat and most boats are out. The best part about the Keys in the winter is that we are warmer than most of the nation, and there are fewer divers on the reefs.

The best part about the Keys in the summer is that we are cooler than most of the nation, the seas are predictably flat and most boats are out.

Pete, would you care to elaborate on this? I was originally planning on coming down the first week in August, but after talking with folks at the shop (RR), they said it was really hot in August, and crowded. What is your take on this? What kind of temps and humidity are you seeing in Key Largo the first week in August usually? I've got a week off then, but was thinking maybe it wouldn't be the best time.

The RR guys said middle of September is best, kids back in school so less crowded, reefs still full of fish, seas still not too choppy, (but you do have the hurricanes).

What's your first hand experience with this?

Best,
-Tim

would you care to elaborate on this?

The trade winds and seas keep the temperature pleasant in the summer. While it is hot; it isn't scorching like other places will be.\

The RR guys said middle of September is best, kids back in school so less crowded, reefs still full of fish, seas still not too choppy, (but you do have the hurricanes)
I would concur with this; it really uncrowds that first week. I don't worry much about hurricanes. Every so often they come close, but if I remember right, it has been serveral years since there was a direct hit to the Keys. Trip Insurance can cover this if you're worried about it ruining the vacation.

My inclement weather plan is to instead strike north, for the West Palm Beach area. If there's a hurricane messing with the Keys, the effect further north should be much less. And if both are affected, you may not want to be in that area :D.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom