Key Largo in Mid-October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any reason (assuming no hurricanes appear) that Key Largo will not be its usual good diving in Mid-October? Viz okay? Etc.

And, has anyone stayed at the Suites at Key Largo (former Embassy Suites, I think), and would like to venture an opinion?

Thanks.

Bill

Any reason (assuming no hurricanes appear) that Key Largo will not be its usual good diving in Mid-October? Viz okay? Etc.

And, has anyone stayed at the Suites at Key Largo (former Embassy Suites, I think), and would like to venture an opinion?

Thanks.

Bill
K.L. will be fine, assuming no hurricanes appear.
The Suites were formerly Best Western. I've stayed there a few times, most recently last December. Small pool. They've been renovating for some time. Despite that I've decided not to go back. Ever. Unless they come up with a rate of ~$75, bottom line. Try the Ramada a hundred yards up the street. MUCH nicer. And a nice Continental breakfast bar included. Or Ocean Pointe Suites @ MM92.5. (That was a real nice property a couple of years back. Beautiful pool. Tennis courts. Rates should be ~$120.) Or look up Speargirl here on ScubaBoard for a variety of nice condos.

I'm sorry to say that mid-October frequently has really snotty weather. That breaks my heart, because my birthday is October 14! There is almost always horrid weather around my birthday. That doesn't mean you won't have beautiful weather though! But I no longer schedule vacation at birthday time. :( I hope you get in some great diving but if you don't, enjoy the tropics anyway. :)

I'm sorry to say that mid-October frequently has really snotty weather.

I REALLY hope you're wrong this year! I'll be there with my wife and son Oct 19th thru the 24th. :wink:

Good luck; those were the dates for Hurricane Wilma two years ago! :11:

It's a crap shoot, be prepared to move north or south of Key Largo encase of bad weather. There is excellent diving in both directions,no more than a hour away ,keep you'r eye on doppler radar and make you'r move!

Now that's funny advice. If the weather is too bad for diving in Key Largo, it will be too bad for diving six hours in all directions.

Again, it's a crapshoot...I have my fingers crossed for you that you have delightful weather! I especially hope so because it's my birthday week and I plan to go kayak diving!!

Hey, D.D. dont shoot the messenger, the whole lower half of fl is only a 2 1/2hr drive across. I have dove both coasts on the same day in different weather conditions.

There is excellent diving in both directions,no more than a hour away
I was not shooting the messenger, but if you can drive from Key Largo to the gulf coast in an hour...all I can say is OH MY...

Our huge weather systems pretty much engulf the entire peninsula. Let's just say that 26 years of mid-October birthdays in Florida have been more disappointing than not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom