Key Largo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfabtx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure you get this question over and over...sorry about that!
I'm looking to take my kids to the keys in June. I've heard its great diving and not so great diving and don't know what to think.
We have been to Cozumel, Cayman Brac and Bonaire. I believe I'll be staying on the refuge in Key Largo and I'm looking for a personal feel type dive op - small boats - not mass groups. My kids have only been diving twice and are still kind of anxious. I'm looking for about 3 days good 2 tank morning dives and probably a night dive at least once.
What can you guys tell me about the best few places to check out?
Thanks!
Sherry

The summer is usually good diving in warm water with little wave action with nice visibility. Of course you will get will get a lot of different suggestions but here are mine. I would probably suggest sticking to reef dives for them as well (20-30ft). Based on a smaller operation 2 suggestions are

Quiescence Diving Services, World Class Diving in Key Largo, FL - Quiescence- limit 6 divers
https://www.scuba-do.com/#s=1 - Scuba-Do 1 boat has limit 6 divers the other boat is 10 divers., free dive guide included on each dive

Thanks...my main choices are Cozumel and the Keys right now. I ruled out The bahamas based on time and price. Someone wrote that Cozumel = cadillac and the keys = smart car (snorkeling = skateboard) :cool2: What's your thought on that? I have a GREAT go to dive op in Cozumel....very hard to beat it $80 (3 day pack) for 2 tank morning dives with provided lunch between dives! Choose small or larger boat depending on son or father taking out. Plus is much closer. ....hmmmmm.
S

If it has been a while you could give your kids a warm up dive from shore. Go to Jules and let them get comfortable in a controlled environment. If possible avoid a day with lots of classes since that can shoot the viz. Can do stairs or giant stride.

If you are at pennekamp and you want them to practice in shallow water you could always dive Canon beach. Not a super dive but it is a shore dive so no jump off the boat anxiety. Can slowly wade in. Then like a snorkel until you get to the hole. Dive op at the park will rent you tanks. Lots of rather odd upside down jellies.

Jules and Canon beach are the only two nonboat dives I am aware of at Key Largo.

$80 for a two tank dive with air and weights is standard in the keys give or take a few dollars given the package.

Kids are not iffy. We've been the past two years. They are 15, 18. Just still getting their feet wet, learning breath control and so forth. They prefer boat dives (I actually like shore dives but I'll concede to make my 18 year old daughter feel better).
S

You can get package deals with 8 dives for $60 per dive in the Keys as well. I personally would take the Keys but I also live 45 mins away so I am biased.

The summer is usually good diving in warm water with little wave action with nice visibility. Of course you will get will get a lot of different suggestions but here are mine. I would probably suggest sticking to reef dives for them as well (20-30ft). Based on a smaller operation 2 suggestions are

Quiescence Diving Services, World Class Diving in Key Largo, FL - Quiescence- limit 6 divers
https://www.scuba-do.com/#s=1 - Scuba-Do 1 boat has limit 6 divers the other boat is 10 divers., free dive guide included on each dive

My only experience with diving in the Keys was with Quiescence, both trips on Molasses reef... I've never dove Coz, but I just got back from the Exumas (Blackbeards) an thought that the shallower dives in the Bahamas was similar to the shallow dives I did in the keys. If your kids aren't AOW certified, I think the keys would be a good destination, buy YMMV...

We just returned from Key Largo and I would recommend Scuba Do. They had great multi trip deals. Make sure they know you don't want the deep wrecks- they frequent the Spiegel and Duane and you probably don't want kids on those- but the guides and crew were great.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom