Key largo dive operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lauratm

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm heading down to Key Largo in October and would like some dive operator input. I am looking for a smaller boat capacity (6-10 people). For those of you who have used Divers City , Blue Water Divers, or Quiescence- which do you recommend?

Thanks!

Blue Water Divers and Divers City are both great. I never tried Quiescence so can't comment on them.

http://www.hmsminnow.com/hmsminnow/ , just a couple slips down from Blue Water Divers is another good choice. I dove both with Blue Water and HMS Minnow a couple weeks ago and would gladly use either of them in the future.

The layout of the HMS Minnow is such that it is much roomier and convenient than one would expect from a 25' boat. Jeff has been doing trips for years, and he works hard to make everything run smoothly.

In particular, he has a nifty way of cleating off the mooring line to the stern when diving the Spiegel Grove. The mooring ball was just a couple feet away from the stern and it was easy to maintain line contact all the way, so getting down the line in a 2 kt current was a piece of cake.

I would definitely second Minnow. I dive with Jeff, every year. He's awesome.

lauratm:
Hi,

I'm heading down to Key Largo in October and would like some dive operator input. I am looking for a smaller boat capacity (6-10 people). For those of you who have used Divers City , Blue Water Divers, or Quiescence- which do you recommend?

Thanks!

I went several days with Quiessence last year. While I didn't find anything major wrong with them overall, the owner was a serious jerk the last day we were there. Therefore I wouldn't use them again most likely (if he was on our boat). Maybe I would, but only if he wasn't our captain. The rest of the captains our group had were great though.

It's kinda hit and miss depending on who you get as Captain. But most of the time the 'jerk' in question stays on shore micro-managing the office, so you'll prob be ok.

I thought they were a little more expensive also than the other operators. A two tank dive on the Duane and Molasses or French reef with 1 tank air and 1 tank 32% was $96 (total).

Here's some info on their boats that might be helpful to you.

They operate 3 different 28 or something similar single screw inboard boats. There are are no tank ranks, but they secure the tanks to ths inside of the gunnels of the boats with bungy's. It works ok, but makes it real easy for other divers to step on your second stage as all the gear is kept on the floor and the walkway is narrow. The engine is mid boat and is covered with a large nice padded top. You can sit on that but it mostly became the 'dump space' for dive bags. (there are no seats to shove these under on the boat). The gunnels are nice and wide and we usually sat on those.

They have real nice dive ladders on these boats and they are easy to re board. ALso the front half of the boat is covered so you can get out of the sun.

The nice thing is that there are only 6 divers per boat, so you can easily pick your dive sites, especially if you have the entire boat, which we did. This isn't true if the owner is the captain. Any site that was not the "nearest stie" to shore he "whinned" that it was too far out or that we didn't have time. This was even true with the Spiegel Grove and Duane. The other captains other days let us dive any wreck we wanted and were great. They really knew the sites also and gave great breifings about the sites.

The only negatives (besides worrying about people stepping on your gear)n was the fact the boat had no head and the long ride out. They arre located on the north or bay side of Key Largo on Blackwater Sound next to the Marriott. This means a long boat ride to get out to the dive sites compared to the boats located in Marina del Mar.

One other thing that irked me about them was that even though their price included tanks and air fills, if you wanted to upgrade to nitrox, you had to pay for nitrox tank rentals on top of that. Just seemed like we were paying for tanks twice.

Would I use them again? only if I could be guarentee'd I wouldn't have to dive with the owner as the captain.

Also, there are other places that have better deals with less hassle and that you can depart from the other side of the island for a shorter boat ride.

This past year a lot of the same group went (but we didn't go) and used them again. I was told that they called and raised the price after it was booked. That would have really ticked me off so I'm glad I didn't go....

maybe others have had better luck, but their owners "whinning" and not wanting to take us to the sites we wanted just really left a bad taste in my mouth about them. But like I said, I don't think he typically captains the boat. So others might be ok.

Thanks for the input so far....very helpful.

Mike S- do you know the name of the 'jerk' captain? That way if we Quiesence we can avoid him.

:)

I've dived with Quiescence several times and have had a first rate experience every time. The shop was owned by 3. Paul Caputo, Rob Bleser and the shop fellow, whose name escapes me at the moment. Paul just passed away within the last year or so from a long suffering battle with cancer. He was a GREAT diver. The fellow above who had a bad experience may have been there at that time, not an excuse, but maybe a cause.

We've always taken advantage of their package deal including dives/hotel. Me or members of my family have been diving with them for over 20 years.

I like their small boats and had no problems with gear being stepped on, but then again I always use my secondary bungee to hook both primary and secondary stages up around the first stage.

www.keylargodiving.com

lauratm:
Thanks for the input so far....very helpful.

Mike S- do you know the name of the 'jerk' captain? That way if we Quiesence we can avoid him.

:)

Rob Blesser. In addition he spent much of the ride back in telling us what an "expert" he was in the sinking of the Spiegal Grove. He was just full of himself. I asked him if he was such an expert then why did he sink it? I got babbling and excuses. I just have no need to be back on a boat with him and have to little to his whine.

Note... I wasn't the only one on the boat who had a bad experience with him. About everyone on our boat did. One of the divers even got so mad at him that he took off all his gear and started packing it up and told him to take us back to the dock.

This doesn't mean you have to discount them out and not use them. Like I said, the rest of the captains they had the rest of the week were top notch. I wouldn't have a problem diving with the other captains. (just want to be fair in my response).

I have used Quiescence on two trips, and Blue Water on one. With Q, I was lucky enough to get Capt. Steve on all my dives. I really did like him, and he took good care of my son and I. However, their boat setup is not ideal, and with up to six divers all having to share the engine cover, it does get cramped. Q is on the "bay" side, so it seems like it takes forever to get out to the Water. Blue Water is a bigger boat, with a better setup. When I used BW in July, Brent and Captain Glenn made a real effort to take us to some great spots, even having to hop to several alternates where they could find better visibility. BW is on the ocean side, and Brent is a very active contributor on this Board. If you have your own gear (except for tanks/weights), I would probably go with BW. I can not comment on the other dive op mentioned because I have not used them.
Tom

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom