Key Largo: Camping + Boat Slip + Tank Rentals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My brother is after me to take a trip to Key Largo in January. To keep costs down, we're looking to camp. He will be bringing his boat down (~21' ). Key Largo Kampground caught my attention, as we'd be able to roll straight from the campsite to the boat (on site slips). Does anyone have experience with them or any other campgrounds in the area?

Additionally...if I decide to drive down, I would just bring my tanks and we could use those. If I don't decide to drive down, we would need to rent tanks. Do the shops down there tend to rent out gear to people that aren't diving with them? That's not a concern in my area, but I'm just curious, as my experience is limited to Virginia and Maryland. Thank you.:cheers:

There are plenty of shops that will rent gear. Any of the shops that aren't attached to a dive boat operation will likely rent tanks. I've always brought my own so I have never rented tanks myself. Shops like "scuba tech" that aren't onsite with a dive op might be more likely to have rental tanks. I've never used that shop so I'm not personally vouching for them but I've often heard that "there's no bad dive shops in key largo". So far, that's been my experience.

It might be too late to get a campsite in January. Winter is a popular time down there and campsites fill up fast. Did you already check with the campground and find a vacancy?

There are plenty of shops that will rent gear. All the diving in that area is boat diving. Therefore, if you don't bring your own tanks - just use what the boat provides. Every boat op normally provides an al80. Some will do nitrox, and some will provide other size tanks for a small charge.

It might be too late to get a campsite in January. Winter is a popular time down there and campsites fill up fast. Did you already check with the campground and find a vacancy?

That's what I'm wondering about...."the boat" will be brought by my brother, so we won't be diving with a shop. I've read about some places that will only rent gear to divers that are diving with a shop/boat operator. That doesn't apply to my area and it may not apply to shops in your area. It was just something that I thought I'd ask about.

Of course not, lol. We just locked the dates in for our theoretical trip today. If we have to go elsewhere for a campsite (ex. Up on the big peninsula), we can just do that. We're both pretty flexible on how we go about executing the trip, so we'll find a way to make it happen.

Yeah I re-read your post and saw that. I think there's enough shops down there that aren't attached to a boat operation that you won't have a lot of trouble. That said, I can only guess as I always bring my own tanks.

Yeah...I've gotten accustomed to not having to rent gear. It's nice not wondering what you're going to end up with. We'll see...If I can swing a couple extra days off, I might just drive down. Maybe hit the BHB on my way south (if I can time it right...tide wise).

We opted to just rent a room (Breezy Palms Resort). It's going to be ~$50/head per night, so it made sense to just go that route. We reserved a boat slip there too, so that should be convenient.

I decided to drive down, so I'm just going to bring my tanks.

Most operators with boats do not have outside rentals in Key Largo . I agree to try
Scuba Tech for your rental needs .
Sea Dwellers

We opted to just rent a room (Breezy Palms Resort). It's going to be ~$50/head per night, so it made sense to just go that route. We reserved a boat slip there too, so that should be convenient.

I decided to drive down, so I'm just going to bring my tanks.
Breezy Palms is great. nice ramp and protected breakwater marina. We bring our boat and our own gear every year. Sea Monkeys is a great place for air fills and extras. access by water and by land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom