Key Largo: Camping + Boat Slip + Tank Rentals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call ahead and make sure they'll fill them.

When I moved to soflo with my tanks vip'd in Maryland they did their own vip and if I had stickers they had to be removed etc..

Not sure how the keys are but might be a question to ask... Or maybe @kelemvor or @Wookie know better...

dive shop in Bud and Marys marina is right next to you. they were a little exp on fills pushed a multifill pre purchase card. Sea Monkeys is on the bay side about 10 min by boat If you fit under the Bridge at Bud and Marys. if not next Bridge is just up coast about a 15 min run. Alligator reef is straight out 3.5 miles. set of bouys to secure to. when leaving Breezy idle down coast 25 yrds line up with AmeraCay and you will see 2 marker poles. put a gps mark and use this as your entance and exit ref mark. shallow on both sides Shallow 1-2 ft. big Key largo reefs are abot a 20 mile run up coast but all within 5 miles or less of coast. Fuel docks are every where so don't be afraid to run down the keys. just watch the debths on the bay side can get tricky fast.

Call ahead and make sure they'll fill them.

When I moved to soflo with my tanks vip'd in Maryland they did their own vip and if I had stickers they had to be removed etc..

Not sure how the keys are but might be a question to ask... Or maybe @kelemvor or @Wookie know better...
I usually just drive down for a weekend and bring enough full tanks. I have been for a week at a time twice. In that case, I didn't have much problem getting my tanks filled. Both times, the dive op I was with wouldn't or couldn't do it, but the first place I went for fills did the job.

First time, I was diving with Rainbow Reef (Key Largo) in 2014. They told me they would not fill tanks they did not own (I think I heard that they will now fill tanks, but I'm not sure). I went across the street to Silent World (Key Largo) and got the tanks filled. They didn't require anything special regarding inspection. My tanks were current with a sticker from my LDS.

The second time, I was diving with Captain Hook's (Marathon) in 2016. They didn't fill nitrox or something like that. I went down the road to Tilden's (Marathon). They didn't require anything special regarding inspection, just filled the tanks.

If I remember right, I don't think Tildens would blend to my specified mix. Silent world did blend to my specified mix. I thought I'd heard someone bought silent world so the rules might have changed since I was there.

That said, I think the OP is looking to rent tanks rather than fill his own. Maybe I misread.

I usually just drive down for a weekend and bring enough full tanks. I have been for a week at a time twice. In that case, I didn't have much problem getting my tanks filled. Both times, the dive op I was with wouldn't or couldn't do it, but the first place I went for fills did the job.

First time, I was diving with Rainbow Reef (Key Largo) in 2014. They told me they would not fill tanks they did not own (I think I heard that they will now fill tanks, but I'm not sure). I went across the street to Silent World (Key Largo) and got the tanks filled. They didn't require anything special regarding inspection. My tanks were current with a sticker from my LDS.

The second time, I was diving with Captain Hook's (Marathon) in 2016. They didn't fill nitrox or something like that. I went down the road to Tilden's (Marathon). They didn't require anything special regarding inspection, just filled the tanks.

If I remember right, I don't think Tildens would blend to my specified mix. Silent world did blend to my specified mix. I thought I'd heard someone bought silent world so the rules might have changed since I was there.

That said, I think the OP is looking to rent tanks rather than fill his own. Maybe I misread.
he mentioned if he drove down he would bring them . . . ;-)

I left Key Largo late Saturday afternoon. It was 82*. I made it back to Virginia late yesterdday evening...it was 22*.:( I’m in a bit of shock at the moment over the temperature change.

I enjoyed my stay in and around Key Largo. The Breezy Palms (Islamorada) was good for what it was...a relatively inexpensive (for the area) and clean roof over my head. The dock worked out well for my brothers boat.

On diving from his boat...it was an absolute pain in the a**. Tank storage was half-assed in the console, so there was no way to assemble everything prior to leaving the dock.

We tried one dive from his boat and that was all she wrote for me. It was literally a bigger pita than it was worth.

We spent the rest of the time that he was there fishing. The fishing was fun. We caught a couple small tuna WAY offshore. We caught a bunch of fish off a wreck not far offshore too, so that was a good time.

After he left, I went up to LBTS and Pompano Beach to finish my AOW. I eventually came back down to Key Largo and did a couple days of diving with Rainbow Reef. I got to hit the Spiegel Grove, which was impressive as hell. I had a blast and would dive with them again.

I appreciate the feedback. Just looking forward to my next trip. It was a good learning experience and will help me for planning purposes next time around.

Sounds like you had fun. some prep to make the boat dive ready goes along ways. now you know what you need to plan for. diving from your own boat is great. the freedom of diving the little stuff like rock piles, ballast stone piles of wrecks which there are quite a few where you were and intervals at your own pace. I dive out of an 18 ft kenner center console with tank racks and 3-4 divers . we have a nice syst of setting up gear for pre dive and coming in. it just takes some time and planning to get your system down.

Sounds like you had fun. some prep to make the boat dive ready goes along ways. now you know what you need to plan for. diving from your own boat is great. the freedom of diving the little stuff like rock piles, ballast stone piles of wrecks which there are quite a few where you were and intervals at your own pace. I dive out of an 18 ft kenner center console with tank racks and 3-4 divers . we have a nice syst of setting up gear for pre dive and coming in. it just takes some time and planning to get your system down.

Yup. If it were my boat, I’d install permanent or semi-permanent tank racks and be done with it.

For my brother...diving isn’t a big priority. I don’t see him going to the expense of putting tank racks in. I was going to offer to split the cost with him, but he didn’t really seem open to the idea of putting some in. That was the point where I just abandoned the idea of diving from his boat. I get it...it’s a fishing boat to him.

Setting up gear on a pitching 21’ boat is just stupid when you can do it at the dock and be done with it (other than a tank swap-over later for a second dive).

I use the alumn track with the slide in inserts for racks. When not in dive mode you slide out the tank holders and slide in rod racks and various gear holders into the alumn channel. I have dove off friends boats and bean bags are nice 1 bean bag will hold 2 loose tanks and then 2 rigged up laying on top of them with towels for anti clatter. Just don't let one hard trip make the decision for you. And yes there are major pros for using a Dive Operator, safety gear being the biggest (O2 and Defib) along with personal service and guides. I just like diving at my own pace when and where I want. Have fun and dive Safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom