Key Largo - Any recent experience with...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from the Keys. Dove with Paradise charters. Great op. They have a dive master in the water with you at no extra charge. Boats are supose to be limited to 6 divers. One day we had 9 divers but they had 2 dive masters. Having a dive master is uncommon in the Keys. We had a group of people try to get on our boat that hadn't started out with us. The captain took them over to their boat.
I noticed that there was a Ramada Inn and a Holiday Inn right at their shop. We stayed at Ocean Point which was very nice but a 7-10 min drive. You can check out the dive shop at http://www.paradisecharters.net They also arranged our hotel. I think they have info on the Ramada and Holiday Inn. Have a great trip.

waterpik once bubbled...
Just got back from the Keys. Dove with Paradise charters. Great op. They have a dive master in the water with you at no extra charge. Boats are supose to be limited to 6 divers. One day we had 9 divers but they had 2 dive masters. Having a dive master is uncommon in the Keys. We had a group of people try to get on our boat that hadn't started out with us. The captain took them over to their boat.
I noticed that there was a Ramada Inn and a Holiday Inn right at their shop. We stayed at Ocean Point which was very nice but a 7-10 min drive. You can check out the dive shop at http://www.paradisecharters.net They also arranged our hotel. I think they have info on the Ramada and Holiday Inn. Have a great trip.

How did you like Ocean Pointe, I'm booked into there in a couple weeks and I would like to know what you thought. Jeff

G-Lock asked ---How did you like Ocean Pointe?

I would stay there again. We didn't pay extra for the ocean view and we had it. I couldn't see where any of the units wouldn't have ocean view. Possibly on a lower floor but even then I still think you would have it. Maids only come if you book for 1 week or longer. Not sure how often. Small decks just room for 2 chairs. Our unit was very nice. They are all individually owned. Very quiet.

Breakfast was a mad house. Go early or buy breakfast stuff at the store . All they had was cereal, bagles and muffins. Have a great trip. The Spiegle was wonderful. Our day NO currents- which I hear is very unusual.

Waterpik-
I can live with no maids to change the sheet and make the beds, but please tell me they bring fresh towels daily?? Thanx, Jeff

G-lock
Sorry no fresh towels. We had 4 in our 1 bedroom room. We caught the maid in hall and exchanged some. No problem. I guess you could call the front desk and ask for them to bring some. Have a great time.

Was in Key Largo last month and used Island Ventures. I guess they are okay if you like taking off your own fins, not having a divemaster along and going to different dive sites than what you paid for...

Amy

What kind of dives did you pay for that you didn't get? The Duane? Bibb? Spiegel Grove? Those are all advanced dives and from your complaints it sounds like you need baby dives with a sitter. Taking off your own fins!!! Oh my god!!! Next time you book a trip ask for the hourly rate for babysitting and you'll probably be much more satisfied. Island Ventures is a pretty good operator and if he didn't take you somewhere it would more than likely be because he didn't think you or someone else on the boat could handle it. I think it's called keeping the risk factor low.

Wizard once bubbled...
What kind of dives did you pay for that you didn't get? The Duane? Bibb? Spiegel Grove? Those are all advanced dives and from your complaints it sounds like you need baby dives with a sitter. Taking off your own fins!!! Oh my god!!! Next time you book a trip ask for the hourly rate for babysitting and you'll probably be much more satisfied. Island Ventures is a pretty good operator and if he didn't take you somewhere it would more than likely be because he didn't think you or someone else on the boat could handle it. I think it's called keeping the risk factor low.

Interesting her profile says she's a PADI instructor and a wreck freak........Hmmmmmm.......maybe someone from under a bridge.
TROLL???

I just got back from Key Largo yesterday, and had a great time with my dive op and was very pleased with the hotel.

I stayed at the Ramada at about mm102. I asked for a room with a king bed, and got a HUGE room with a two person whirlpool tub and a stall shower, balcony, etc... If you are going to stay there, ask for room 367!!

I dove with Horizon, based mainly on the reviews in Rodale’s. I was actually getting my AOW, so it wasn't a simple dive charter. My instructor, Kip, was excellent. The dive shop accommodated the elective dives that I along with the other two people in the class had chosen. Horizon provided free lights for the night dive. They also let us dive the Spiegel Grove for our deep dive!! What a ride. Nothing like hanging off the descent line like a flag in a storm!! It was great. Horizon only had about 10 people on the boat at the MAX, and around 7 on one dive. I would highly recommend Horizon Divers as a dive choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom