Key Largo - Any recent experience with...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can personally attest to the effectiveness of Aqua Nuts safety procedures. They call roll after every dive. They have changed their procedures. They have new staff working for them. They may not have been a safe operation at the time of the incident, but they are safe now, probably much safer than an operation that has never had an incident and keeps coasting by on luck..

Scuba Duffer once bubbled...
Leaving divers behind is more than an "incident". Having you boat break down or forgetting to bring some equipment out is an "incident". Leaving people behind is gross negligence and a company should be shut down - and shut down for good for doing something that stupid! There is no excuse for that other than negligence.

Just got back from 8 days with them for the 3d year in a row. Yeah, we had heard about the "incident", but I can assure you that now they are WAY safe. In fact they almost beat it into the ground LOL (which is good). I understand that recently, there have been a number of diver deaths in the Keys, at various resorts/operators. Its not always the ops fault......as a cop, I can tell you that there are some people who are just stupid. #$%& is gonna happen...there is no way around it. But I can tell you that Kelly's is doing everything they can to make sure it doesnt happen again.....I dont trust anyone easily at all....I trust them.
Marty

Are my comments actionable - oh thats funny. I doubt it since it was the U.S. District Attorney that charged them with Neglagence - not me!!

have to second the recomendation of divers city in tavernier. living here in the upper keys, iv'e found this dive operation to be the best around. max 10 divers and lots of input on dive sites and flexibility with dive profiles. good luck,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Don't know if you have booked your trip yet, but I do have a suggestion for a place to stay in Key Largo. We are headed there on July 19th and we found a nice canal front home with a jacuzzi for $1,000 per week. Parking, privacy, cook at home to save $$, place to store gear, etc....

Check out www.vbro.com (Vacation Rentals by Owner). This is a great site and I've used it a couple of times. You send money directly to the owner and they meet you there with the keys or mail the keys to you.

:tree:

Tavi once bubbled...
"Any recent experience with...
Diving with Tavernier Dive Center?"

In 12 days I'll be leaving for the Keys. There is a group of us going. We will be diving with Tavernier Dive Center, and staying at the Keys Motel. The Motel is 150 yards from the dive shop. Our Favoite Dive Shop (in Buffalo NY) uses Tavernier Dive Center a Lot. I've heard nothing but good things about them. The Motel has rooms and apartments.

Some of us will be completing our open water requirements for new certifications, There will also be a lot of dives for fun!! Like all the wrecks I've heard so much about. The Duane, The Bibb, The Eagle, and the Spiegel Grove!! :):)

I can give you more info when I get back.

Hey Guys-
Let me know how this goes, I'm finishing my open waters with Tavernier Dive Center the 2nd week in June. I can't wait. I'd love to hear a report on how they did with you folks. Jeff

G-lock once bubbled...

Hey Guys-
Let me know how this goes, I'm finishing my open waters with Tavernier Dive Center the 2nd week in June. I can't wait. I'd love to hear a report on how they did with you folks. Jeff

Jeff,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We Buried my Dad last week, and I haven't felt much like posting.

Tavernier is a well run dive center. I think you'll have a great time with them!!
the Captains and Crew are all a great bunch of freindly, knowledgable, and helpful guys.
Their boat "Shadow"was down while we were there, but they made arrangements to use another boat each day to take us out. and they would work on repairing the boat each night. We were diving from Shadow before our trip was over, She is a nice dive boat.
We dove the Duane (3 times), Bibb, and Eagle, several reefs and a ledge or two. The day we were to dive the Speigel Grove the seas were to rough to go that far. We also had one tec trip planned that got blown out.
Guess I'll have to go back for those! :wink:
We had a few students on board during the week, and a couple of divers doing referals. All did well!!
I got to meet Raviepoo and a friend of hers too!
My wife hurt her back and was unable to dive, and my son had an ear infection and couldn't dive. I guess they will have to go back too! :wink:
Have a great trip and let us know how it goes!
Tell the guys I said Hi

they have a web site that might help answer any questions you might have
click here
or feel free to ask

I know that when I return to the Keys I'll be diving with them again!!:D

Tavi once bubbled...

Jeff,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We Buried my Dad last week, and I haven't felt much like posting.

Tavernier is a well run dive center. I think you'll have a great time with them!!
the Captains and Crew are all a great bunch of freindly, knowledgable, and helpful guys.
Their boat "Shadow"was down while we were there, but they made arrangements to use another boat each day to take us out. and they would work on repairing the boat each night. We were diving from Shadow before our trip was over, She is a nice dive boat.
We dove the Duane (3 times), Bibb, and Eagle, several reefs and a ledge or two. The day we were to dive the Speigel Grove the seas were to rough to go that far. We also had one tec trip planned that got blown out.
Guess I'll have to go back for those! :wink:
We had a few students on board during the week, and a couple of divers doing referals. All did well!!
I got to meet Raviepoo and a friend of hers too!
My wife hurt her back and was unable to dive, and my son had an ear infection and couldn't dive. I guess they will have to go back too! :wink:
Have a great trip and let us know how it goes!
Tell the guys I said Hi

they have a web site that might help answer any questions you might have
click here
or feel free to ask

I know that when I return to the Keys I'll be diving with them again!!:D

Tavi-
Sorry for your loss. Thanx for the great info! I hope things take a turn for the better for you. Jeff

iv'e lived in the upper keys for 14 years and although i primarily dive from my own boat, i do on occassion enjoy diving with the local operators. divers city in tavernier, stands out in my book. 10 divers max, imput on dive site selection and flexible dive profiles. in my opinion, the best dive outfit in the upper keys
www.diverscityusa.com

reefman
key largo

Your probably too late.

Even during off season ;you may have a hard time just showing up.

Normally all lodging and boats are booked a year in advance for holiday weekends, during these times the hotel rates are higher.

You may try the Pan Handle. I live 7 miles from Vortex. Panama City - Destin is second only to the keys for diving. Great that thime of years.

What type of experience do you have and what type of diving do you wish to do.
Anyone interested in diving this area, drop me a line

Kris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom