Key Largo accomodations and dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingguy:
In February of 2006 my son and I used Quiescence for our very first "ocean" dives. Captain Steve took very good care of us. However, having now done over 25 more dives in that area with multiple dive ops, I would highly recommend either Brent with Blue Water right there in Key Largo, or Gary with Conch Republic just down the road in Tavernier. Both are good ops, but you need to be right up front with them about what you need when you talk to them so that they can be tuned in for you. Have a great time.

I agree! We went with Conch Republic Divers for our second and third post-certification dives, so we were pretty new. They're a pretty laid back bunch, and they made us very comfortable. The Capt. explained everything and was available if we'd had questions.

They have a smaller boat (six-pack?) that isn't crowded and took us to some beautiful reef areas. We saw a giant 'cattle boat' while we were out. As a newish diver, I would definitely avoid those.

The places Conch Republic too us to were easy dives, and I think they try and tailor the trip to the divers that day - so be honest about your experience/comfort level. You can always hire a guide, if you want. Most dive shops can arrange that for you, if you don't already have one.

The most amazing dive spot that day was Snapper Ledge. They call it that because of the thousands (yes, thousands) of Yellow-Tail Snappers and other fish that are there. I could not believe my eyes when I saw it. They were so thick....it was like a movie or something. I'd NEVER seen anything like it, but I'm so going back - in January!!

Thank you for all the responses! I see we have many good choices. One more question, when people go to the Keys, do they typically fly to Miami and drive down from there? Or is there a commercial airport in the Keys area?

Thank you for being so helpful!

elenion:
Thank you for all the responses! I see we have many good choices. One more question, when people go to the Keys, do they typically fly to Miami and drive down from there? Or is there a commercial airport in the Keys area?

Thank you for being so helpful!

Actually. the best bet is probably to fly into Ft. Lauderdale and drive down. The drive from FLL really isn't much longer than from MIA, and you'll be in your rental car on your way to the keys before you'd even reach baggage claim at the Miami airport.

-Paul

There is an airport in Marathon, I think it takes private planes mostly, maybe some charters. But if you're going to Key Largo or Islamorada, is more practical to drive. Marathon is the middle of the keys. For Key West, either fly or get yourself some patience and drive.

Oh, and don't stay at the place that used to be the Sheraton. While it's beautiful and it has a wonderful beach, they don't have a dive operation, not even one you can walk to.

Howdy!

Key Largo is perhaps one of my favorite among the more reasonable getaways I tend to do.

How to Get There:

Fort Lauderdale (FLL) tends to be your best bet for flights for a reasonable price. Miami Int'l is under going some reconstruction and I've always found it a pain to fly in / out of Miami anyways. Fort Lauderdale doesn't add more than an hour to the drive time and it's all express way. Generally speaking you can get from FLL to Key Largo in 2 to 3 hours tops.

Where to Stay:

If you check the back of Sport Diver, there are a couple condos advertised for $795 per week but I can't vouch for them. That's one option.

Our group tends to stay at the Hungry Pelican. Not fancy but decent enough and diver friendly. http://www.hungrypelican.com The Holiday Inn is just across the street and is very good as well though slightly more money.

Who to Dive With

So far out of the 5 trips to Key Largo, we gone out with Silent World the most and they have the best deals around with their 5 trip package. They work hard and the crews for the boats are super! :D Capt. Bob is tops in my book!

We've also gone out with DiversCity USA for some deeper, more technical dives. DiversCity is one of the few shops that will do 2, 3 or 4 tank trips. Bob and Barbara run a good boat. They cost a bit more but offer top notch service. We tend to use them for 3 tank trips and the deeper wrecks like the Duane, Bibb, Eagle, Speigel, etc.

Lastly we've also gone out with Island Ventures which leaves from the Bayside of Key Largo, so you get a different view coming through the mangroves and the houses in the morning. Middle price range between Silent World and DiversCity. Anne and Daryl are good people and treat you right. Plus Island Ventures is one of the few operators I know of that will run a Speigel Grove trip with only 2 or 3 divers I think. :D

Frankly you can't miss with any of these 3 operators.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom