Key Largo- 3mm or 5mm wetsuit? Which dive shop to go through? Best beginner dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're looking at about $35 for a hooded vest,
I'm coming to Key Largo and will be diving Mar. 12-13. I have a full 3mm, but sounds like I should probably get a hooded vest. Just saw that it costs $30 (+tax) at Divers Direct there.

Hmm, I might not get to KL before they close at 9pm on Mar. 11, for my Mar. 12 Creatures dive with Capt. Slates.

But thanks for the advise.

Not that you have to buy a vest at Diver's Direct, but if you want to, and depending on where you're flying in, there is a huge Diver's Direct store in Ft. Lauderdale (just off I-95 between Griffin and Sterling Roads - you can plainly see it from the interstate).

Not that you have to buy a vest at Diver's Direct, but if you want to, and depending on where you're flying in, there is a huge Diver's Direct store in Ft. Lauderdale (just off I-95 between Griffin and Sterling Roads - you can plainly see it from the interstate).

There's also a Divers Direct store at mile marker 100 on Key Largo, right next to the Holiday Inn. Great store!

+1 for Silent World.....Just finished up a week of diving with them as of today and every one of the staff were great......The water temps were around 70-72* and even felt a termocline below 90' to 68-69*.....My buddy and I were diving drysuits with 100 gram undergarments.....

Silent World in Key Largo or Conch Republic in Tavernier are the two that our family uses.

A 3 mil should be good in April but you may want to carry a hood for multiple dives.

Last edited:
There's also a Divers Direct store at mile marker 100 on Key Largo, right next to the Holiday Inn. Great store!
We fly into Miami at 7:06pm. After getting the rental car, we're thinking to stop by a Costco or Publix to pick up supplies (some food, wine, etc.), then head to Key Largo. Staying at Ramada. That's the Divers Direct I'm thinking.

I've booked to go to the Creature Feature dive with Capt. Slates, while my family go snorkeling. The next day I plan to dive with Rainbow, as they provide a dive guide free. (Other dive shops charge for a dive guide.) Heard good things about both Capt. Slates and Rainbow (and others).

I only mentioned the Fort Lauderdale Divers' Direct because it sounded like you might not make the Key Largo one before they closed for the night and the FLL one is open until 10 p.m (except Sunday). That said, it is 25 minutes north of the Miami airport, so that probably rules it out. I thought you might perhaps have been flying into Fort Lauderdale, and it's only 11 minutes from there and on the way.

There is a Publix in Key Largo (on the left, hidden in the trees, but at a stoplight) that's open until 10:00 p.m. every day. That might be more pleasant than trying to get off somewhere in Miami. I made the mistake of driving south from Miami after 10:00 p.m. and so my dinner came from the Circle K convenience store. Not one of my better meals!

I wish I were heading south now :)

B.

In Key Largo now today is last day. Water 70 to 72 I have a 3 ml shotie but it is only for those who don't chill easy more would be better. We are useing Bluewater Divers 32 ft boat 10 max will go out with 2 They have been great people I would say they are great to deal with

In Key Largo now today is last day. Water 70 to 72 I have a 3 ml shotie but it is only for those who don't chill easy more would be better.
Wow, you must have thick skin. :D

My middle son is like that. The rest of the family is wearing long sweatshirt and long pants, but he's in T-shirt and shorts and sweating. He's hyperactive and always "on fire".

There is a Publix in Key Largo (on the left, hidden in the trees, but at a stoplight) that's open until 10:00 p.m. every day. That might be more pleasant than trying to get off somewhere in Miami. I made the mistake of driving south from Miami after 10:00 p.m. and so my dinner came from the Circle K convenience store. Not one of my better meals!
I might adjust my driving plan, to come to Divers Direct directly from Miami airport, then to Publix for supplies after. Publix also sell wine, so that's good.

On a side note, last time in Florida, I saw and bought a bottle of "Mad Housewife" wine from Walgreen. Wine was so-so, but the bottle is a keeper. Will look for that again, the name "resonates".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom