Key fob solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a Chevy man and not a Ford man.....but have to say that Ford having a numeric key code right there on the door to unlock the rig is something all vehicles should have...
Yes, that is indeed a great feature on the Fords. I also saw some cars have started providing credit card like keys or even optional wrist bands. These may not be dive-able (today) like the old steel keys without the FOB but who knows where this will all eventually lead (finger prints, eyeball, implant?) Many cars also have a phone app, I wonder if these also extend to a watch app, in which case they may eventually become a dive computer app.

Meanwhile, I hope to hang on to my car for a few more good years to come so will keep using the DRYFOB for now :)

every car is different, refer to the vehicle manual
On my car for example, it has an interior motion detector alarm that can be disabled by pressing the lock button a second time within 10 seconds (after locking the car).
Huh... Wish mine was like that.

I have a (post-USB cable hack) Hyundai, which replaced our '96 manual key Subaru that got destroyed in an accident while parked. Yes, there's a "valet key" on the fob - but you have to pop off a plastic cover over the key slot to use it and I never liked the idea of leaving the fob inside the car - break in and you get the car. I then discovered Hyundai sold an NFC chip card - perfect! I put it in my "dive wallet" ziploc in my drysuit. If it got wet, so what - it's a plastic card with an unpowered chip embedded. But one day, after I got home, I remembered I had left something in the car and... the key card would not unlock the car. Nor start it once inside. Nor be recognized for reprogramming. It had not gotten wet or been flexed between last successful use and failed use. An NFC chip should not fail like that, but it did, so I don't trust it to buy another, even though it had seemed to be the perfect dive car solution. I'm now putting the fob in a snorkel cellphone bag in my drysuit (and the back gate opening for me is nice...). Hopefully that was just a bizarre fluke, but I figured putting it out here so others are aware it CAN happen might be helpful.

Also, I had one of those cheap snorkel dryboxes and, before our last trip, thought "I don't really like how easy it would be for something to catch the latch and flip it. Snorkeling one day, I noticed it open in the water. It was packed enough nothing fell out and, amazingly, the Kia fob worked when I swam to shore (and kept working after fresh water rinse). But don't use those boxes for snorkeling!

I think fob in plastic in drysuit is probably fine here in the PNW (and even if the fob gets killed, the key in the fob and the app in my cellphone will let me drive), but I may get a DryFob for future wetsuit shore diving vacations, now that I know it exists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom