Key fob solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone tried using a vacuum food sealer to vacuum seal the key fob? The buttons should still be useable. With the air removed it shouldn’t be a buoyancy issue and they can simply be put in a pocket.
Seal it at home before leaving?

Has anyone tried using a vacuum food sealer to vacuum seal the key fob? The buttons should still be useable. With the air removed it shouldn’t be a buoyancy issue and they can simply be put in a pocket.
Seal it at home before leaving?
Not worth the risk to me. Much prefer the DryFob, and usable worldwide...not just where I have my own car and fob and vacuum sealer.

I'm pretty sure you will have a failure and spend $$$ replacing your FOB, you are going to go out and by a proper storage. I would suggest to skip the cost of replacing one and just buying a proper container. I have one from DRYFOB. Talk to @Jaan about ordering yours (my recommendation). I have one where I attached a boltsnap and clip it onto the D-ring in my dry suit pocket.

What kind of car? Can you have a mechanical key made?
I was thinking (inferring, actually) this was a place not unlike Bonaire, where one rents a truck under the stern admonition that you are NOT to lock it, EVER, and go so far as even leaving the windows down, so criminals can freely go through it looking for stuff to steal. That way they don't tear up the rental vehicle to get to whatever is valuable inside it. (The cop in me also seems to think this is a situation that could be solved....)

But, that is the situation there.

So, all the new ghee-whiz vehicles made now have an electronic "open-sesame" fob that makes things go.... Not real keys.

Glad we are discussing this again (maybe the search feature?)

plenty of options:

Some that have been discussed:

Or
DryFob
Or
Non-chip key (can get wet)
Or
Hide key in various other ways
Or
Old flashlight body
Or
Camera housing