Kelly's on the Bay - Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo once bubbled...
Because you're not the only diver in the boat. It's not all about you.

unsafe practices are not "about me"? Well, I guess as long as people think that, then the ops will be happy to cater to you and collect your money.

But since my diving is all about me, then I will find those dive ops that go the extra distance.

If you are happy with them, then great. I wouldn't settle for that type of operation, and just wanted everyone to understand that they do not have to settle unless that's what they want to do.

www.diverscityusa.com is a great op.

I believe bluewaterdivers will cater to the diver (keylargobrent can jump in here).

I'm sure there are other good ops. Just understand what you are getting and question the op beforehand.

Raviepoo,

I think you are misunderstanding Rax's point.

A dive op that lets divers dive their own profile ensures everybody is satisfied. I have to agree with Rax totally, when you see a great dive op, the others pale even though they may be average. The average ops should not be the ones you chose for a technical dive. The basic 20ft reef dives makes minimal difference but I'd still choose the safety, customer, and satisfaction oriented ops.

It's a free market and you learn from experience. We're just trying to share the benefit of our experience.

What's better for an experienced technical diver may not be better for a new diver who lacks confidence or a person who dives once a year while on vacation. Believe it or not, some people actually benefit by having structure imposed on them by an expert.

I don't advocate following unsafe practices. The most important thing I was taught in my OW class is that I'm responsible for my own safety. If the surface interval is too short, don't get back in the water. But as I mentioned before, I have never seen a Kelly's divemaster usher divers back into the water without a safe surface interval. I've done quite a few dives with them. Your mileage may vary.

The reason for my rant has nothing to do with safety. All I am saying is that a dive op is a business. A business must service all of it's customers, not just the few who want to do longer dives. If the boat has a schedule to adhere to, that's just part of doing business. Not everyone wants to do longer dives anyway.

If a divemaster says, "Everyone be back on the boat by 10:00" he has a good reason for it. It doesn't matter whether the reason is safety or the fact that a bunch of divers are waiting back at the dock to go out on the afternoon trip. The divemaster makes the rules. You follow them. Anything else is just rude.

Kelly's is a fine dive op for people who want to relax, have a good time, and explore the Keys reefs. If you want to dive deeper, longer, find another boat. But follow the rules set by the staff of whatever boat you're on or you're just a selfish boor.

And no, I dont think a technical op is always the best one to go with. If I want to do a couple of shallow reef dives I don't want to be on the same boat with tech divers who might end up hanging for an hour and taking an extended surface interval. I want to do my two dives and get on with my day.

Raviepoo,
I think your ranting is misplaced and drawing points from our suggestions that are not what we are trying to say. Perhaps you've have bad experiences with other divers who are rude selfish boors but Rax and I are anything but that. The suggestions we are making are very different than what you are responding to.

But such as it is, it's not worth going on about. I give up trying to clarify our point.

I'll try one more time :wink:

I never mentioned tech diving. Althought the op I listed above does offer tech trips, they would not be combined with "non-tech" dives.

I'm talking about 60+ft. dives. Let's use the Speigel Grove as an example. I want to do a 2 tank trip. The SG first, and a drift dive along molasses for a 2nd dive. I'm diving EAN32 and end up with 25 minutes at 110ft. I'm the last one up since the other divers where on air... Big deal on the time... I've held things up 10 minutes. So what.

Now the boat moo's on over to the reef and they want us in the water. Wait.... It's only been 20 minutes. I would much rather be on a boat that will let me have an hour or so SI.

Heck... I had one op question "how were you able to do a 2-tank dive on the Grove?" They just couldn't fathom such a thing. This was while doing a 3 tank dive.... Duane at 110, reef at 60, reef at 30. They wanted us in the water with a 20 min. SI between each dive. That's just not right. I ended up calling the 3rd dive, and told the op "that will be the last time we use you as a charter".

If you are only doing the 20ft. reefs, then ok... play that game. And if that's the game the op wants to play, they should limit their dive locations to match that mentality. Don't sign me up for a 3 tank trip as above (especially considering multiple dives per day for multiple days.)

Again. I chose the op that will be 5 minutes late back to the dock. I do not choose the op that doesn't even think about the situation above, and only thinks about herding everyone on and off the boat at set times.

I just want people to be aware of their choices. Raviepoo: you seem happy with that type of operation. If you are happy, then that's great. If there are people out there that think/feel the way I do, I just want to let them know that there are differences in charters, and make sure they question the op they are considering using.

All this other stuff aside....I think they are a great op. We've used them several times and will continue to do so. In fact, we are in the process of booking our spring trip down there now.
Nice folks all around, clean rooms (albeit small).

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. But Rax seemed to be slamming Kelly's and Raxio seemed to be defending them.

I started this thread by asking for information on Kelly's and many people have been very kind in providing information. This has included a person who works for a different dive op in Key Largo. They seemed to indicate that no problem exists with Kely's and that is enough for me.

I think we can say that based on this I'll consider it end of story.

taz22 once bubbled...
Maybe I'm reading it wrong. But Rax seemed to be slamming Kelly's and Raxio seemed to be defending them.

I started this thread by asking for information on Kelly's and many people have been very kind in providing information. This has included a person who works for a different dive op in Key Largo. They seemed to indicate that no problem exists with Kely's and that is enough for me.

I think we can say that based on this I'll consider it end of story.

I did not single out any op. I'm slamming all ops that will not allow a diver to have an adequate surface interval between deeper dives.

Hell... maybe I'm the only one concerned with such things. Have a good time with whatever charter you decide to go with.

By the way... several divers did mention problems with that op in response to your question.... but again, these problems only seem to be a concern to some of us. I'm sure you will have a good time. Just be aware of short SI's if you are doing deeper dives.

raxafarian once bubbled...

I did not single out any op. I'm slamming all ops that will not allow a diver to have an adequate surface interval between deeper dives.

Hell... maybe I'm the only one concerned with such things. Have a good time with whatever charter you decide to go with.

By the way... several divers did mention problems with that op in response to your question.... but again, these problems only seem to be a concern to some of us. I'm sure you will have a good time. Just be aware of short SI's if you are doing deeper dives.

Rax! I do appreciate your concern.

I have talked to my dive instructor and he has indicated to me that he will not allow the really short SI's that you have indicated could exist. I am actually doing part of my DM course down there as part of the trip since we will have 4 divers who will be doing their open waters. His word at this point is time is the best I can go with, I realize that in the end, everthing will rest on my shoulders whether I am comfortable with what is happen or I am not. Also, as a DM in training, I'm not affraid to speak my mind if I see a situation that could be dangerous to fellow divers who do not have the experience that I have, aT that point in time, if something does happen that I do not like, I will voice my opinion and it that means spending time on the boat while others dive, so be it. I will never sacrific my on safety just to do soemthing someone else wants me to.

I appreciate the info that you and others have posted here, it has all been taking into consideration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom