Keeping warm on the boat between dives--wetsuit on or off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can grab a cheap oversize fleece jacket at Goodwill for about $7, oversize windbreaker $7, knit winter hat $2. That's what I wear on a boat, if it wanders off I'm out $15. Nice stuff disappears on me. I hate getting cold. With my senior discount on Wednesdays, I think my whole kit was about $8.

Oh, and I was in a 7mm wetsuit, so thanks for that breakdown, johndiver999. I'll grab my beanie next time for sure.

The problem is the rash guard. A wet rash guard on the surface will be cold. I used one for the first time in many years last week in Bonaire because the water was too warm for a full wetsuit. However, I immediately felt chilled during surface intervals even with temps in the 80’s. My advice would be to ditch the rash guard altogether if you’re wearing a wetsuit and grab a fleece coat and beanie as recommended earlier. You’ll be glad you did!

The problem is the rash guard. A wet rash guard on the surface will be cold. I used one for the first time in many years last week in Bonaire because the water was too warm for a full wetsuit. However, I immediately felt chilled during surface intervals even with temps in the 80’s. My advice would be to ditch the rash guard altogether if your wearing a wetsuit and grab a fleece coat and beanie as recommended earlier. You’ll be glad you did!
Many of the good boat coats have a warm fleece hood

My windsurf experience should be helpful for this discussion. There are two kinds of wetsuits, nylon 2 and nylon 1. A nylon 2 suit has layers of nylon on the inside and outside of the wetsuit. A nylon 1 suit has nylon primarily on the inside. Nylon on the exterior of a wetsuit significantly increases the abrasion and wear resistance of the neoprene, so nylon 1 suits have pads or nylon in high wear areas. Out of the water, a nylon 1 suit is significantly warmer, since the water is not with held on the neoprene exterior surface of the suit. It’s pretty easy to stay warm in nylon 1 suit in the wind and nearly impossible with a nylon 2 suit unless the outside temperature is really warm. As a result, suits worn by experienced windsurfers and surfers are typically nylon 1. Taking off a nylon 2 suit and leaving on a (wet) lycra top would be of no benefit. Evaporative cooling of a wet nylon 2 suit makes in very cold!

Anybody have any experience to share on the durability of a nylon 1 suit used while diving?

The problem is the rash guard. A wet rash guard on the surface will be cold. I used one for the first time in many years last week in Bonaire because the water was too warm for a full wetsuit. However, I immediately felt chilled during surface intervals even with temps in the 80’s. My advice would be to ditch the rash guard altogether if you’re wearing a wetsuit and grab a fleece coat and beanie as recommended earlier. You’ll be glad you did!
I see the wet rash guard as an issue as well. Any breeze and it will be cold. But the "boat coat" insulating wind stopping jacket will keep you warm. Wind control is huge. You can be wet and warm, so long as there is no wind against the skin cooling it.

Different conditions, different results. towel down the rash guard and sun bath until really dry and the results will change. Dry skin is almost always warmer then wet skin.

I have been known to keep a wetsuit on in the summer to try and get more cooling. Once the nylon gets dry it gets real roasty inside. Peel or dip at that point.

full.jpg

It was definitely the rash guard contributing to being cold during the Interval. Like others have said, get a boat coat, or a cheap windbreaker or rainslicker that will stop the wind on your wet rashguard. Do keep your head warm.

Add another vote for a wind proof jacket on top of the wetsuit. Even without a fleece it will keep you dramatically warmer than wetsuit alone.

A hat of any sort as well (beanie or baseball cap) will work as well to minimise heat loss from your head.

Back
Top Bottom