Keeping warm on the boat between dives--wetsuit on or off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 a hat or hood will retain a lot of heat
2 lavacore/4th element top much warmer than neoprene
3 if you don’t have a windbreaker, wrap a towel around your head or upper body
4 get out of the wind

A surf fur or a good quality full length boat jacket is a good choice. Boat jackets can get wet n not hold a ton of water. A surf fur is nice and more compact, the only issue is you wasn't to keep it in a dry place. If someone comes back on the boat with a bc full of water and it dumps on your surf fur, it'll soak it up like a towel

Good comments! I support NOT taking off ones wet suit top before putting a wind breaker on. If one pulls their jacket down to the waist to put the jacket on, then your wetsuit will be uncomfortably cold when you put it back on, as the cooling will continue on the wet wetsuit below your jacket. Keep it on!

What "kills" me is when the water is warmer than ambient air and I am diving wet! Nothing like climbing up the ladder and my head freezing followed by the rest of me. I used to get so chilled, that I couldn't make the second dive.

What to do?
1. Consider diving dry - I would not even crack the zipper on my drysuit between dives and remained warm
2. Have a heating device like thermalution vest etc. - I keep the vest on while waiting for my interval to pass and would wear a dry hat over my wet hair and ears.
3. Wear a long windbreaker/fleece liner. - that would decrease the amount of evaporization. Also, wear something dry and warm on your head because your head looses a lot of heat.

Scubapro 3mil boat coat, has a long back and has served me well from snow skiing to working the dive boat in the rain.

I dive as well as wakeboard and kiteboard. I'd recommend a Hyperflex playa surf jacket. Best $85-$100 you will spend. It's windproof and waterproof and will keep you warm. Make sure and get one large enough for layering, over wetsuit, etc... They make one without zipper for kiteboarding harness, but check pricing.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperflex-Playa-Jacket-Harness-X-Large/dp/B0051IG6VS/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1543508718&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=hyperflex+surf+jacket&refinements=p_89:Hyperflex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom