keeping horizontal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beppe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've heard that it would be better to keep yourself horizontal during deco stop in order to have the whole of your body at the same depth,otherwise the upper and lower parts are not at the proper deco depth.I know it's not such a big deal,we all do our deco in a vertical position,but I'd like to know if it really makes any difference.

Spectre:
I know there are more threads about this... but here's the one that I could find right off the bat: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=4933
Thanks for showing me the way Jeff.That thread is HUGE and interesting albeit a bit too technical at times.BTW can anyone tell me how to convert psi in bars?Thanks.

Beppe:
That thread is HUGE and interesting albeit a bit too technical at times.

Well that's the nature of the question. It's not really a simple answer; it's understanding the theory on both sides of the fence and deciding for youself which you want to accept.

BTW can anyone tell me how to convert psi in bars?Thanks.

divide by 14.5

Thanks for the bit about psi-bar guys.Wow, going thru the old threads I've realized there's a big issue about this horizontal ascending-descending businness;what the hell,not such a big thing here in Italy,never seen anyone going up or down in that fashion 'round here, I guess I'm missing something.I'm intrigued,lots of the arguments about it make sense to me.I usually descend vertical with bent knees or very often after the first 2 or 3mt I just plunge down head first,skin diver style,just to " break" inflating my BCD and jerking my body up just a couple of meters before crashing into the bottom,I'm actually very good at that:D;not that stylish at all, I know but it's fun.As for ascending,it's either vertical or due to the nature of the sites we usually dive,we just follow the bottom profile upwards.Anyway now I want to try that horizontal ascending trick:face up, arms outstretched or better still crossed on the chest"coffin style".It's going to blow my buddies' mind for sure!Mind,I'm not saying that nobody can do that here,it'just that it seems to me that's normal practice for you americans,while here I've seen just once one of those diving gurus doing it(the face up trick).Another thing:does "trim" mean keeping horizontal in scuba lingo?Many thanks.

Beppe:
Anyway now I want to try that horizontal ascending trick:face up, arms outstretched or better still crossed on the chest"coffin style".It's going to blow my buddies' mind for sure!Mind,I'm not saying that nobody can do that here,it'just that it seems to me that's normal practice for you americans,while here I've seen just once one of those diving gurus doing it(the face up trick).Another thing:does "trim" mean keeping horizontal in scuba lingo?Many thanks.

You don't ascend face up...

Being in proper trim means your are exactly horizontal in the water...your chest and knees are at the same level in the water column. Anyone can do this with a little practice and feedback from a buddy or video camera.

Most 'hard hat' style diving is done vertically {CORRECTED} including decompression, while free swimming scuba or rebreather is done prone. Most heavy work is done by hard hat divers without issue and the studies of position show mixed results.

In decompression, its unlikely the prone position matters during the deep phases, but becomes of theoretical concern near the shallows. There are no reports I can find suggesting an upright posture poses a substantial risk over prone.

Recently a physiological study showed the benefit of prone position as modest to none.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11820330

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1561722

However, prone confers greater control of position and swimming efficiency especially in currents. Reduction in work can be life saving in deep dives. This level of control offers great benefits throughout all phases of a dive but one needn't hold such a position as conditions warrant.

Back
Top Bottom