Kayak diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Think about how important a well fitting mask is to diving.
That is how important the paddle is in kayaking.

Now if I can just get unpacked and clear some space in my shop I will be building boats and paddles again.

I just bought my condo in Homosassa, so I am pretty busy. This is an industrial condo (rare) so I can build and make all the noise I want. :D

I was a conoest before I was a sailor, I was a sailor before I was a diver. I was a boatbuilder before I became a kayaker.
Damn, I sure sound scatterbrained.:wink: And that is before we get into the electronics and other fun stuff.

Oh well, back to unpacking.

pipedope once bubbled... SNIP...I was a conoest before I was a sailor, I was a sailor before I was a diver. I was a boatbuilder before I became a kayaker. Damn, I sure sound scatterbrained.:wink: And that is before we get into the electronics and other fun stuff.
OK, I'm going to pile one more on: I'm looking into a kite-rigging similar to what they use for kite-boarding here. The idea of harnessing that westward breeze to make paddling easier on the return is just too appealing (as I said, we're barn sour). You're just the guy to help, so you'd better start studying up!

I've played with the idea of getting a parafoil kite. They stow in an area about the size of a baseball and unfold to about a 40" span. They pop right up once the air is going over them and have a good pull. I figured a 100' cord would work fine. I'm not planning on planing, just heading in the right direction.

DennisS once bubbled... I've played with the idea of getting a parafoil kite. They stow in an area about the size of a baseball and unfold to about a 40" span. They pop right up once the air is going over them and have a good pull. I figured a 100' cord would work fine.
That small, eh?

There's a local kite-boarding instructor who will stop by sometime in the next few weeks to see what we can do.

I'm thinking about an inflatable using a low-pressure adapter I'm planning for the diveyak - quite a bit larger kite, probably 10' across. He's never kite-yaked but he's seen it done and is willing to help me get something set up (for his usual hourly fee, of course).

I'd really like to be able to get out to the second reef (beyond the balls) but am not looking forward to the "drive home." Flying home would be more my style lol

I don't have time to run the search right now but I remember people putting kites on boats for several years.

Search sailing sources for a guy by the name fishmeal. He is (or was, I haven't emailed him in 2 years) really up on kites and other out of the mainstream boats.

I am working on a Chinese Junk rig variation that might be fun, especially for old salts.

Kites are cool because there is no mast in the way and you can get the kite up into clear, stronger winds. The way the forces are transmitted is also nice as the heeling moment is very low.

Just too darn many cool things for me to keep on everything.:rolleyes:

pipedope once bubbled... SNIP...Kites are cool because there is no mast in the way and you can get the kite up into clear, stronger winds. The way the forces are transmitted is also nice as the heeling moment is very low.
Great to hear - the idea is appealing. My priority is a tandem yak, however, so the diveyak is what I'm focusing on now... it has a very wide, flat "hull" and so I'm a little concerned about being dragged sideways by a good kite while trying to tack.

I just got a dive yak made by Sevylor. It's the single, though. My best friend got one, too. We took them out last weekend. I love it. It was a great deal. I'm going to look into the kite idea, too.

I haven't had time between work and the winds picking up... there may be a correlation there but I can't figure it out lol. My only source of intel besides your links (thanks!) is a local who teaches and sells the equipment. I'll probably get on this sometime before the end of the year but I'm in no hurry since we're having a blast with just the diveyak.

My only problem now that our diveyak is broken in is with the seats - back support weakens with use and I'm going to hunt some new seats or backs. I have long legs so the foot rests aren't the best for me either, but there's nothing I can do about themd - we aren't paddling long enough for it to become a real issue yet but one of these days I'm going to take it on an overnight trip down the Santa Fe and we'll see then!

They say conditions will be settling down by Thursday so the weekend dives may not be too bad...

Who's up for a kayak/diveyak dive next weekend?

Thanks for the links... I'll be looking through them today.

Let me know how you make out with the local kite instructor. I've been doing more research on it. I think a "training kite" would be a good way to go. They're considerably smaller than a normal kite boarding kite. You can get a 2 meter kite with all the rigging for around $100. I just need to find an inflatable training kite now. I haven't had any luck there yet. You can also get a trainer in 3 meter size, but I have a feeling that would be too big. I've heard that they also make a 1.5 meter, although I haven't found one yet. I think you need enough line to get the kite up to about 200-250 feet to get a good constant wind. You'll also need to get a sea anchor. In a pinch, you can tie a couple old T-shirts to the back of the Yak and that may do it. The reason you need a sea anchor is because otherwise, the kayak will get going to fast and the kite will lose the wind and fall. You need a certain amount of drag to keep the kite in the air. You probably need to rig the lines through a carribeaner or shackle or something on the bow to keep the kayak tracking straight through the water. Anyone else have any suggestions? I'll let you know when I decide on a kite, it'll probably be a month or two.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom