Kayak diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know there are some divers out there that do this. I just got a dive kayak and want to know the ins and out of it. Like how do you get back on it when your in the water? Do you anchor or drift it as you dive. I've done all kinds of differant diving but this is new to me. Any advise would be a great help.:mean:

There is something terribly wrong with this picture. I'm not sure I want to take his advise. I hope he's a better kayaker than he is a diver.Getting back on the kayak check out the pics and tell me whats wrong with the guy in the pics.

fgray1 once bubbled...
There is something terribly wrong with this picture. I'm not sure I want to take his advise.

Well if it was me i would take off my weight belt and tether it inside the kayak. It would kind of suck to lose your grip on your kayak and sink to the bottom like a rock :D

Also check out gilligan's site for some good pointers

http://www.scubaboard.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=13281

fgray1 once bubbled... SNIP... I just got a dive kayak and want to know the ins and out of it... SNIP
Hey, congrats! Kayak diving is terrific. If you are ever down in SE Florida you may wish to contact these guys...

http://www.kayuba.com/

I see them all the time on our reef in LBTS and exiting/entering from Ft. Lauderdale Beach.

We have a diveyak, which is more like a log than a canoe, and love it... I'm thinking about getting a dive kayak now so I can use it more often. The diveyak is exceptionally stable but you have to move a lot of water with two divers and all their gear.

You have Gilligan's link, and that's what I used to get started. He's a terrific guy and enjoys discussing kayak diving.

As far as "how to" make sure you have something to tie or anchor with depending on where you dive. We can tie up to the balls at the far edge of the 1st reef here, but any deeper and we have to anchor or drift. To drift, you just snap your anchor to your BC - just think the clip through because you don't want to be "tied" to the kayak (remember, you're drifting).

I love the upper body workout and having the platform off shore. There is really nothing like it, except maybe HELL when you get an adverse current and/or wind lol... but that's what cell phones and friends with cars are for.

I found a ocean dive kayak used for $ 90. I think I got a good deal.
Now I have to rig it up and get a paddle. Looking forward to trying it out.:D

That you might like and I can make you a deal you can't understand. :D

I am between boats right now and am switching to the Greenland style of paddle so my hand made feathered padle is just gathering dust. I'll give you a great deal. Got any cool dive stuff to trade?

BTW I'm in Homosassa and looking to find a few people to dive with on a regular basis.

pipedope once bubbled... SNIP... I can make you a deal... SNIP
Hey fgray1, I'd consider taking pipedope up on his offer - he seems to know what he's talking about lol...

$90 is a great deal, dammit! HOW did you find it? Er... I mean, maybe you should let me test it out for a while to make sure its safe... can't be too careful with used gear!

Somebody once told me that cheap paddles will cost more than expensive ones, so I bought $200 paddles for our diveyak and haven't been sorry. Knowing me, I would have ended up with them anyway eventually, so the direct path was in fact cheaper.

I don't know much about "heavier" paddles, but because they're feather weight we complain more about boredom paddling in than pain lol - we're always barn sour.

With your luck you can probably find graphite paddles used for $10 or so lol. If not, however, think about pipedope's offer and at least pick his brain about what to look for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom