Kayak diving off Venice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CalicoJack57

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
New yak diver here and would like to get some pointers - tips from the seasoned yak divers out there. Do you anchor or drag your yak with you. Types of Equipment you find useful to carry on board. May be some yak stories. Ocean conditions to stay away from Ect. All would be helpful to a new be yak diver. I'm not a new diver though I've been solo diving for years. Looking foreword to hearing for all of you.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I know dives4life has given me some good pointers, I had big ideas while I was on vacation here, but the surf right now does not seem good for a new yak diver so I have yet to try it. Should have went out when I first got down here.

I do plan on doing some practice runs with out dive equipment on board to get use to my new ride. I have fished from and used a canoe for many of my younger years on lakes and rivers. But I believe this guy will be a whole different animal. I do have an advantage of living so close to the beach though to get plenty of practice runs in. I do believe this weekend would have been a no go for most yakers.

Yeah I do alot of floating back in Missouri on the rivers, I dont think it would have been bad at all earlier last week, but it did not look like anything I wanted to tackle the last couple days. Swimming out was bad enough.

I yak dive Venice all the time. Mostly at S. Brohard. I use an anchor while I am getting into my gear & then pull the anchor & tow the boat with me as I dive. That way I always come up under the boat. My dive flag is in the scupper hole on my yak. You have to have the larger flag when you use the yak as your platform. Make sure you tether everyhing to the yak. That way, if you do accidently roll over, you will still have your gear connected to the boat.

mainly do yak diving... agree with everything posted but I drag my kayak (don't trust any anchors and like to stay close in case of issue). If you have time/can practice closer in the first time or two to get a feel for things. I wouldn't recommend taking more than one tank (I take 3 :) ) until you are really comfortable on yak and practiced changing tanks out on water like 10 or more times. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A COMPASS... Yak diving lets you get out further and I have come up in strong fog... without a compass there would have been no way to know where shore was (and this was around 11am in morning). Again, rare, but needed! Good luck and hope to see you out there... I am in an orange kayak/ black and white paddle. Peace!

This is just the type of replies I was hoping for. This really helps a newbie YAK diver. Some great advise for sure. Can't wait to start my practice! I do like a challenge.

You'll love it! I'm a little ole lady. If I can do it, anyone can!:D

Okay several practice runs this weekend to try out the new kayak. I feel very comfortable on my new ride with no equipment on board. Practiced getting off and back on without fins and moved from the front to back with no problems. Took it out around a mile and back just to get an idea of time to travel that distance at a leisurely pace. The kayak is an Ocean Kayak Prowler Big game 13' long 34" wide 69lbs, easy enough to get to the water with no equipment. Do any of you use a cart to take it to the beach when loaded or just drag it across the sand. I will try some practice soon with it loaded next weekend.

I use the roleez cart. Trust me, It's worth the extra money to get the one with the larger, sand tires. Some folks have made their own carts but I have heard that you can cause damage to your yak if you make one that uses tubes up through the scupper holes. The roleez has straps. www.roleez.com

Also known as wheeleez www.wheeleez.com

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom