Kauai in Summer... wetsuits and sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my certification dives in Kauai November 2006 and wore 3mm shorty wetsuit, no gloves, no hood. I was more than comfortable. The only change I planned on, was a full wetsuit for skin protection. I skinned my knees on a shore dive in the shorty. The water was 80 at the surface and in the high 70's at depth.

I loved Sheraton Caverns off Brenneke's beach, there were more turtles than you could count and lots of marine life. We dove with both Bubbles Below and Seasport divers and I would highly recommend both.

Since certification, my husband and I have done a lot of diving, returning to Hawaiil last June, visiting the Big Island . This trip I donned a 3 mm full wetsuit, no gloves, no hood, for our day dives and put on the gloves and hood for a night Manta dive where there was a suspicion that jelly fish may show up. Again, I was completely comfortable and with the full wet suit, my knees were safe.

We are planning a trip to Kauai in July and plan on a Niihau trip along with other dives off the south shore. Kauai is a great place to dive, have fun.

Aloha,

It depends on you. In June the water is going to be at least mid to high 70's. I was there in August and it was 80f. I didn't need a wetsuit, but I'm pretty big. A petite woman on the trip wore a 5 mm with gloves and got extremely cold, blue lips and all. I don't think she wore a hood though.

In the summer it will be quite breezy most days on the east shore.

Take your new wife out to dinner at Kintaro in Kapaa, and sunset and drinks at Bali Hi or the Princeville Hotel. I've always heard the helicopter tour of Na Pali, etc is cool, but I haven't done it.

Hey, thanks for the additions about places to dive, and i'm getting a good idea about the temp, and what i might need for exposure.

Also, thanks for some dinner locations!!! Keep 'em coming! Kintaro huh? Duly noted!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom