Katrina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, the newspaper is calling Katrina "lumbering and sloppy". So is this going to be a hurricane or not? Some of us, living in Okeechobee in an RV would like to know what to expect. The RV is currently "nailed" to the ground with big screw in anchors and straps, the awning is rolled up, chairs are put away and the site is cleaned up in case of high winds. Guess I'll fill the water tank and make sure the propane tanks are topped off, and hope for the best.

Tractor Tom

Welcome to Florida Tom. A good rule of thumb to follow is its not so much the wind. Its the water. Flooding is the number one killer, as well as general PITA. Just pretend you are getting ready for a big camping trip to do some rafting. Bag anything that you dont want wet, and stock up on your favorite beverage.

Get comfortable. Get toasty, but remember you may have to act quickly for whatever reason. When you wake up it'll be over. Then you get to play with your chain saw! :D

One thing I've noticed this season is that the forecasters have been pretty accurate in their tracks. We can all cross our fingers and try to blow these things out to sea, but for someone who has been through two hurricanes and three tropical storms in less than a year (and whose job depends on weather conditions), we are keeping a close eye on this one. Not so much for how it affects you South FL residents, but they are tracking it to cross over the Gulf and head north, pretty much the same track as Ivan and Dennis.

The best advice I have is to stock up on things early (food, gas, water, propane), and make sure you have enough of everything to last a week or so after the storm just in case. Here after Ivan, we had no generator, no gas, eating MRE's by candlelight. After Dennis, we were enjoying TV in the living room with cold brewskis in the fridge.

Hi Tom,
The good thing is Katrina is forecasted as a small Cat 1 storm. The bad thing is you live in a trailer. Remember... trailers attract tornadoes. Right now, it looks like south FL is the target... but... somehow, these storms have a habit of proving the weather forecasters wrong. It might just ruin our diving for the weekend.

Al

Have an alternate plan for refuge. The first to go with a mandatory evacuation are trailers and coastal areas. As everybody else said, stock up on everything and be prepared. Don't forget your medicines and any pets you may have. Load up the fridge with as much stuff as you can.. I put loads of water bottles in the freezer and fridge, so when we lose electricity, we have cool drinking water, and it also helps keep the other items cold.
One thing most people don't tell you is to make sure you have something to do. Nothing worse than sitting around in the dark, or battery light and just listening to the storm wondering what the heck is going on outside. Grab a pack of cards, a puzzle, a game, something to help pass the time. OTOH, there is rise in the number of births 9 months after a hurricane. Go figure.

Scuba_Jenny:
Have an alternate plan for refuge. The first to go with a mandatory evacuation are trailers and coastal areas. As everybody else said, stock up on everything and be prepared. Don't forget your medicines and any pets you may have. Load up the fridge with as much stuff as you can.. I put loads of water bottles in the freezer and fridge, so when we lose electricity, we have cool drinking water, and it also helps keep the other items cold.
One thing most people don't tell you is to make sure you have something to do. Nothing worse than sitting around in the dark, or battery light and just listening to the storm wondering what the heck is going on outside. Grab a pack of cards, a puzzle, a game, something to help pass the time. OTOH, there is rise in the number of births 9 months after a hurricane. Go figure.

Some good advice! Thanks guys!

Well, we will accelerate our schedule after looking at the weather map this morning. Our safe spot is the Tractor Dealership, as it is a heavy concrete block building that has been standing through hurricanes since it was built in 1949. I guess we'll take the pooch into the shop today and plan to stay there for a while. I need to cover a couple of the windows this morning in case we get a "real" hurricane force winds. Have a nice big generator there, and lots of room to park the car and truck inside. Will move the tractors up by the building to keep them out of the worst of it all. After that, it's like you all say, sit and wait. With the eye forecast to be on the south side of the lake by 2am, I don't think we'll be at the trailer tonight.

We have a good TV and DVD player at the shop, full sized refrigerator, sofa and airbed, the works. We'll be online as long as the cable stays up and will be well stocked for any eventually (I hope). NO MORE BABIES from this 50+ year old couple....you kids can work on that angle!

Thanks again!

Tom

Well, dang! Sounds like you are in pretty good shape.
Typically the worst part of a hurricane is the NE quadrant. That is where the bulk of tornados are spawned.
The other thing, is don't be too disappointed when after all this preperation, all you get is some puffs of wind and a rain shower or two. It is "only" a tropical storm right now, and may make landfall as a Cat. 1. The area of the worst wind is relatively small, and even then is minimal. I heard it quite a few times last year with the hurricanes..all this preperation, and nothing. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Well, do I get a cookie for guessing the storm letter that would hit us? (K)

Humorously, I am once again sitting in another city watching away......Chicago. (it's cold up here, man!!!!)

So, I'm guessing I'll be sleeping on the floor of some airport tomorrow night; so don't feel too sorry for yourselves sitting in the dark....at least you're in your own house!!
If anyone can figure out how to get my cat fed while I await a flight back home, please let me know!! :D (Hey, the rum tote awaits anyone who can get in my house....)

Stay safe all.

KBeck- Feed the Cat!?! and you are in Chicago! BAD CAT OWNER! You could have brought kitty here and I'd Cat Sat for you.

Doesn't someone have a key to feed poor kitty...?

Maybe the cat has scracthed into the tote and is happily enjoying his ration

poor poor poor putty tat...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom