Katrina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
What's the joke about tort reform? :D

Why does tort reform prohibit lawyers from sleeping with their clients?

To prevent lawyers from billing twice for the same service.

WOW Andy, thats rough! :lol:

I've been working outside all day and have had the radio on quite a bit listening to the 'play by play' - I'm somewhat concerned for the 100k people who didn't get out of the 'big easy'. Most are survivors so they'll hang tight for a while.. I hope help, relief, and rescue efforts start soon....

We're sending a helo, irb 12 man team later tonite to the area, I'll be going on the 2nd team if needed. This is the first time our swift water rescue team has been sent out of california. Say hi to anyone with a CATF6 patch or sticker on their helmet. They should be on scene by 0600 local time. no sleep tonite.

Hey Paul, where is your team going? And I see you know how to use the caps key, what's up with not capitalizing California? :wink:

dlndavid:
Hey Paul, where is your team going? And I see you know how to use the caps key, what's up with not capitalizing California? :wink:

OLD AGE. FEMA has a LOT of equipment in Daneville MS, I think thats the staging area for now. I think the IST's area still doing the inital accessments right now. I think they'll have a good idea of needs in the morning.

I think they'll be doing rescues for 48 hours the body recovery after that. I just got home after working 72 hours straight I need to play tackle with my boys tonite. They're 3 & 4. I need to kick their butts.

If they need me they can have me in the morning...........I'm going to drink a beer.

I offer Katrina a not so fond goodbye. Thank God and Greyhound you're gone. Now I have to figure how to get clearance to travel to Biloxi to help my son pick up the pieces.

Tom Smedley:
Now I have to figure how to get clearance to travel to Biloxi to help my son pick up the pieces.

I know what you mean...I have to figure out how to get to Amelia, La tomorrow morning to catch a helicopter out to the platform for initial damage assesment and start-up.

I lost my power yesterday morning, but we got it back around midnight last night. That was about the extent of our 'damages'. We have some tree limbs in the yard, but no new downed trees.

Mobile hit a new record in storm surge, up to 15-20' towards the state docks in the back of the Bay. 6-8' of surge in Gulf Shores. Mobile and Baldwin Counties experienced hurricane force gusts over 100mph, with constant Tropical Storm winds. A few of the oilrigs in Mobile Bay broke loose, one hit one of the bridges. The causeway was under water, with water licking at the bottom of the I-10 bridge across the Bay. There was alot of flooding in Mobile, especially down towards the southern portion, but even downtown near the convention center(water st.).

The I-10 bridge eastbound across Pascagoula River had been hit by a barge and was damaged. Some of the highways running under I-10 overpasses like Hwy 43 and 57 were rivers yesterday. Biloxi and Gulfport are all but obliterated. They are estimating 30' of surge at this point. There isn't alot of word about West of there. jlayman here at ScubaBoard is fine and in GA at the moment riding the storm out with his family. Pray for his home in Ocean Springs. philmotrek lives in Hattiesburg, which still got hit pretty hard. eanxgirl lives near Meridian, which also got hit.

A levy broke in the 9th ward near St. Bernard in New Orleans and flooded thousands of homes. The Lake Poncetrain came over the lake front and flooded out north New Orleans and Metairie. Looks like probably alot of Kenner too from the footage taken by a helicopter. The high rise bridge and the twin spans were damaged by rogue barges. The windows are blown out of alot of the skyscrapers. Lots of structural damge to alot of the buildings in the city from wind and water. They are saying about 20 buildings have collapsed. There were alot of fires too, but no way to get to them to put em out. The yacht club on West End was on fire in the helo-footage. I saw some other footage of the coast guard picking people up off roofs. They're saying they still can't get to most of the people who are trapped. The West Bank was supposed to have been hit by alot of tornadoes and alot of it is flooded as well. No idea about further south. We have alot of ScubaBoarders in the area, paulwall, mrfish, vonbeck, oilman, ect... They're gonna need our prayers.

oilman66:
I know what you mean...I have to figure out how to get to Amelia, La tomorrow morning to catch a helicopter out to the platform for initial damage assesment and start-up.

Glad you didn't stick around for that crap. I'm hearing it'll be a week before they allow anyone back into Jefferson Parish. Goodluck on getting to Amelia.

Tom Smedley:
I offer Katrina a not so fond goodbye. Thank God and Greyhound you're gone.
She ain't done with the Big Easy yet... It's raining like all hell up in the Ohio river valley right now; that'll be testing what's left of the levees in about four days...
Not good.
Not good at all.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom