Just returned from Captain Dons (Bonaire)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just returned from CDH in Bonaire. Diving was awesome. Over 25 dives in seven days. Reefs were spectacular. Healthy corals, turtles, seahorses. Mostly boat dives. More fishes/sq m than I have ever seen. Negative: Crew was indifferent and not very helpful. Especially divemaster Chris. He is an arrogant jerk that needs to find something more challenging and exciting in his life. Talk about a bad attitude. Stay away from him. He will never be disciplined however....because...ta da - his father is the resort manager. Unbelievably nasty. I actually changed my dive plans to avoid being near him. His mother in the diveshop is even worse. Horrible attitude with a permanent cigarette dangling from her mean mouth. Despite the great diving, I would definitely never go back as long as they are around. Rooms were OK if you don't mind the permanent crew of 100 or so mosquitoes that prowl IN the rooms at night. Serious overall of the screens would be in order.

But the diving was unbelievable. Great vis: 30m+, warm water and little if no current. Salt Pier at dusk is one of the best dives that I have ever done. 90 mins in a perfect aquarium. Wow. Summary: I would go back in a heartbeat but probably to Buddy Dive rather than Captain Dons.

Sounds awesome, with the exception of the staff you mentioned. Any pictures to share?

That's a shame but even they couldn't spoil the diving there.......

There is nothing worse than resort owners who act like that and you are paying for the privledge. I wasn't there but I have been there before. Glad you let us all know.

Any examples of what they did?

Welcome to the board.

Sorry about staff problems,thats far from the norm on Bonaire. One of the highlights of every trip I take is seeing the staff at Buddy again, Wannadivebonaire also. If you are interested in letting Capt Don know, come over to the Bonaire board, look up Capt Don and email him. He is an active member on the board. Somehow that does not seem like something he would tolerate.

herman:
If you are interested in letting Capt Don know, come over to the Bonaire board, look up Capt Don and email him. He is an active member on the board. Somehow that does not seem like something he would tolerate.
Is he actually still involved with his namesake place anymore? I thought he was completely out of it.

He's no longer the owner..but he does still give his slide shows and talks there every week?
I would bet he still has a little "pull" there so to speak?

Tridacna-glad you had a good time despite the jerks!
I agree with Herman-book at Buddys next time-the people are fantastic!

Im heading there for 2 weeks in April......Suffering from PBD-Pre Bonaire Depression!

Tons of pics and video. I took a video of the town pier and two other night dives. I'll post as soon as I have finished editing.

I met Captain Don on Tuesday evening. He sold to Habitat (A Dutch company a few years ago) and has nothing further to do with the overall operation. I have nothing but respect for what he has achieved in Bonaire. I love the resort. The whole operation is so "diver-friendly". The lockers are great; Proximity to the reef is unbelievable. I specialize in identifying reef creatures. Being doing that for years. I lost count after the first ten minutes of any dive. Total Dive Freedom is real. You become a slave to your computer. Dive dive dive.

Now, don't get me wrong - most of the divemasters were excellent: Christine was unbelievable; So were Max, Rob and Neto. I loved being on their boats. Just one rotten apple: Chris. Total moron. The thing is that when you are spending MUCHO dineros you kinda expect to be treated with a modicum of respect. Most of the divers that I met there experienced the same attitude from him and were similarly unhappy. What is it about him that pisses everyone off? He struts around in baggy shorts with his briefs peeking out. Rotten attitude on board. No help at all to anyone. Dive briefs are cursory and delivered with an air of contempt. When underwater - no attempt to recognize nor show off any of the sea creatures. No attempt to even talk to anyone. We are obviously beneath his station in life. I have no idea why he does this at all - he obviously hates his job. But if you met his mom - which unfortunately you will - she is charge of distributing the weights - everything falls into place. Apparently she and her husband have been a fixture there for years. I've been an instructor for just over two years and if I gave that attitude to my students, they'd walk out of class in an instant.

But...as everyone knows...the diving is just SOOO great. The island is similarly fabulous. Had great meals at Casablanca, City Cafe (at least four lunches) , Buddys and Rum Runners at CDH. We dived in Slagbaai. Totally awesome if you can tolerate the roads. I can't wait to go back - just not to CDH while the bozo is still there!

I was at Captain Don's this summer, and I had just about exactly the same experience described here. I felt exactly the same about the exact same staff.

We had some rough seas from a nearby hurricane (Dennis, I think) while I was there. On one dive, the boat was pitching something fierce as we did our entries. Acting as DM, Chris just stood near divers as they entered, no attempt to steady anyone. As I reached the platform, a particularly strong swell knocked me off my feet. It hurt. He found that pretty funny.

Your description of his mother is much too kind, though. She is not nearly that friendly.

Back
Top Bottom