Just returned from Captain Dons (Bonaire)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the sentiments posted here. That Chris was the least professional individual I have come across in the dive industry. His pre-dive briefings were pathetic...full of poor attempts at humor as he drifted between fact and fantasy to the point where it was of little help..not at all professional.. nor really appeared to care about much other than himself.

mike_s:
The people who found him un-professional could always report him to whatever certification agency that he received his professional credentials from... riight?

Unfortunately, having a lousy attitude is not a defined standards violation.

Here's another story.

As we were arriving at a site, someone asked if he would help them find a frog fish. He got a disgusted look on his face and said, "For me, frog fish are like trumpet fish. They are everywhere."

So, no one saw any frog fish on that dive.

Well. If the idiot dive master had any sense, he'd know he was only screwing himself out of tip's. He could easily be raking in $50-$100 a day in tips that he's not getting.

At Captain Dons, there is a old scuba tank converted to a tips jar in the DS. We ignored that and tipped only those staff members that we felt had been helpful or had a good attitude. Not only that, we discovered that someone's mom (guess who - duh) was in charge of distributing the tips and made doubly sure that she and her son were were included in the distribution. No way was that happening with us.

Good luck trying to report Chris to the boss. It's his Dad! Tada!

Uh... how's-a-bout, don't accept Chris as your divemaster?

>> Uh... how's-a-bout, don't accept Chris as your divemaster?

You think? I didn't. Went on two dives with him. Give him a second chance, I thought. Then after two, it was enough. But don't accept him? His father is the General Manager and his mother is the dive shop manager. And you can't muchk with either. You have to see them to understand.

tridacna:
>> Uh... how's-a-bout, don't accept Chris as your divemaster?

But don't accept him? His father is the General Manager and his mother is the dive shop manager. And you can't muchk with either. You have to see them to understand.

Well, then, there's nothing more to say about it.

That's too bad that you experienced such poor service and attitudes. I would definitely find somewhere else to stay if/when you go back. We stayed at the Belmar at Christmas time and loved it. The place was great and the staff for both the diving and the Belmar were super nice. We did mainly shore diving while there, but on the one boat dive we did, we had a great time. I would definitely recommend them.

We were in Bonaire in the beginning of November and were eating dinner at Captain Don's on Monday night. All of a sudden - there he was. Apparently he comes every Monday night I think from 6p to 7p. He walks around and talks with the guests, poses for pictures. etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom