Just ordered me a set of Doubles for my Transpac II, can I add a backplate to it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
I heard that you can add a backplate to the transpac II BC, then mount your doubles with rings on them.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I love my Dive Rite Transpac II with Rec Wings!!!!:) Best BC out there!

I think it would be very comfortable, and stability I don't think will be an issue.

I called Dive Rite, and one of their reps told me that it will not be as rigid obviously without a backplate but you will definitely be able to do doubles with it.

Does anyone else use this setup currently with the Transpac II, utilizing double tank bands and stabilizing plates?

I have a buddy who has your setup. It's not stable enough for heavy doubles (LP95) without the backplate. I'm not sure what wing he has (rec I think) but its marginal with the same tanks and deco stages.

MD

Can you explain more in detail, as I've purchased my double bands and Dive Rite Stabilizer plates for my Transpac II.

FYI, all the boys from Dive Rite, including their ownder, and many dive shops out here in southern cali dive with this setup, some guys with over 20 years experience (some who dive backplates also), and I have never heard one complaint except, "aaahh the Dive Rite Transpac is soooo comfortable", sure transfers all the weight to the hips, way less stress on the back.

I've been diving singles, and I tell you, it is definitely the most comfortable BC I have ever worn, stable with singles, when I try it with doubles for many dives, I will post a follow up once again.

For me, 95's are the "swing tank." Anything smaller I definitely prefer the Transpac; anything larger I definitely prefer the backplate. I usually use the backplate for 95's but they're ok with the Transpac too.
(don't use the backplate with the Transpac - use webbing)
I know some folks who dive 104's with the Transpac and swear by it, so it can be done...
Ain't personal preference and choices nice things to have?
Rick

I personally think Dive Rite's BC is awesome. I always dive in comfort, and so do the 30+ people I know, and others I've met who dive the Transpac II exclusively for either cold and warm water diving. It appears though that a lot of warm water divers choose the Travel Wings, opposed to the Rec Wings, which I feel gives you more flexibility to go either doubles or singles.

i have an oms backplate in my transpac two and i dive dual 112's with two 50cf stage bottles... the backplate does make a difference... u just have to do it right

Been diving a TPII for about 18mths now. love it for single stuff and indy twins (AL80's)

so what's this about slapping on a BP? I'l love to put an ABS plate in if it fit right......

anyone done this? NorthEastDiver?

Willer

northeastdiver once bubbled...
i have an oms backplate in my transpac two and i dive dual 112's with two 50cf stage bottles... the backplate does make a difference... u just have to do it right

I would be surprised if you're using the Rec Wings, but I guess anything is possible.

I've used the TPII with double LP 112's many times. I recently switched to a BP/wing setup, and while I find the BP to be a little more stable (less shifting) I didn't find any real problem using my TPII with them.

The biggest difference I notice is that the TPII has numerous more "adjustment points" than a BP does, and it takes some fiddling to get everything "just right." Took me about a dozen dives on my TPII as opposed to about 3-4 on my BP.

Of course, some of that could be attributed to more experience in what I like as well..

I personally think it's hard to go wrong with either set up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom