Just ordered me a set of Doubles for my Transpac II, can I add a backplate to it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used a BP in my Transpac II.

I like it because it makes everything very stable and I can also ditch 6 lbs when diving singles (with a stainless steel BP).

The only thing is I don't think Dive Rite advertises that a BP should go on the Transpac II. My tech instructor showed me how to mount it. Once he showed me it was easy. It goes right behind the back pad. I also use a single tank adapter with single tanks to bolt everything together. That way when I go to my double I can just unboth the adapter and bolt on the doubles.

I was also thinking of getting the OMS IQ since the BP can easily be slid in and out.

Marcus

I'm diving the TP2 a couple days a week and I'm a happy camper. Typically I dive double al 80's with al40's for travel and deco on stage straps. I use the dual rec wings with the stabilizer plates and find everything quite manageable. If I'm doing air, then I use only one al40, which is mounted on the doubles (super pony tamer) for deco. I'd opt for adding the BP for anything significantly heavier than that. I have an old cut down aluminum one ($5 at a used gear sale basket) to stabilize the 120's, (goes in place of the stabilizer plates) but I never bother with it for the 80's. Just use the stabilizer plates and save the cost of a new BP, you can find a used one cheap if you really want to try it later on.
Hope you get as much bottom time from your TP2 as I get from mine, lol

Darlene

...but I have seen it done many times.

Some TP II users in Israel add the DiveRite (or other) BP to the TP II harness is order to stabilize it when using heavy doubles.

As far as I know DiveRite does not endorse this type of setup. At the same time it probably works.

I know at least one Technical instructor that uses the TP II for light to medium weight doubles and uses the TP II with BP or just the BP/W setup for heavier doubles.

As I said before, I don't know that DiveRite approves the combination of the TP II and the BP.

Ari :)

Back
Top Bottom