Just ordered a BlackTip Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got to try out a BlackTip this weekend! 4 dives, I'm hooked. Now I have to figure out the budget and buy one. I'm jealous of you right now, LOL.

I like the look of that handle.

I hear the T-handle is good.

The Suex style T handle is one of the few modifications I want to do to my BT.

The other is I am considering mounting a Perdix AI, so I can have a compass, pressures, depth, and run time all while just glancing down.

I just got to try out a BlackTip this weekend! 4 dives, I'm hooked. Now I have to figure out the budget and buy one. I'm jealous of you right now, LOL.

I like the look of that handle.
One box arrives Thursday, the other on Friday. Batteries and charger arrive Friday. I'm diving on Saturday, let's see how fast I can assemble it for Saturday morning.

With cruise control, you don't even have to worry about where you put your left hand while you are using it to drive and doing something else with your right hand.

I've had my BlackTip since they very first came out. I haven't felt a need for a T handle, either.

If I wanted a compass on the scooter (I use the compass in my NERD), I would find a Seattle Sports Sea Rover kayak deck compass. It's a popular one for scooter users. At least, among the more expensive scooter crowd.

The only mods I've made to my BT are making a short paracord leash with a bolt snap for the nose, and a Suex-style handle (2" webbing and a hose clamp) around the body towards the front - replacing the stupid cam buckle one that came with the tech tube.

Now that I have bought a new GoPro, I might get a Seacraft-style handle for the BlackTip from @Jona Silverstein at Explorer Technology, so I can mount a GoPro and maybe some video lights up there.

@MrChen, be aware that it may not be correctly weighted out of the box. It is fairly normal to need to spend some quality time in a pool or other confined water working out the weighting to make it neutral and then how to distribute the weight to make it float in trim.

If the weighting is way off, diving it on Saturday might not be as fun as you think.

Fingers crossed for you that it's pretty close out of the box. Remember to leave the salt water trim plate out when you are dialing in the weight and trim, if you are doing it in fresh water. Once you get it dialed in in fresh water, then you can put the salt water plate in and it will be neutral in salt water (or pretty darn close).

With cruise control, you don't even have to worry about where you put your left hand while you are using it to drive and doing something else with your right hand.

I've had my BlackTip since they very first came out. I haven't felt a need for a T handle, either.

If I wanted a compass on the scooter (I use the compass in my NERD), I would find a Seattle Sports Sea Rover kayak deck compass. It's a popular one for scooter users. At least, among the more expensive scooter crowd.

The only mods I've made to my BT are making a short paracord leash with a bolt snap for the nose, and a Suex-style handle (2" webbing and a hose clamp) around the body towards the front - replacing the stupid cam buckle one that came with the tech tube.

Now that I have bought a new GoPro, I might get a Seacraft-style handle for the BlackTip from @Jona Silverstein at Explorer Technology, so I can mount a GoPro and maybe some video lights up there.

@MrChen, be aware that it may not be correctly weighted out of the box. It is fairly normal to need to spend some quality time in a pool or other confined water working out the weighting to make it neutral and then how to distribute the weight to make it float in trim.

If the weighting is way off, diving it on Saturday might not be as fun as you think.

Fingers crossed for you that it's pretty close out of the box. Remember to leave the salt water trim plate out when you are dialing in the weight and trim, if you are doing it in fresh water. Once you get it dialed in in fresh water, then you can put the salt water plate in and it will be neutral in salt water (or pretty darn close).
I really appreciate all your insight, thank you.

How does the Seattle Sports Sea Rover compare to the Silva 58 (which I've also seen recommended)?

I really appreciate all your insight, thank you.

How does the Seattle Sports Sea Rover compare to the Silva 58 (which I've also seen recommended)?

No idea. I don't personally have either one. The only compasses I have ever used while scootering are the one in my NERD when diving CCR and the one on my Teric when diving OC.

I just got a Seacraft ENC3 navigation unit for my scooters, so that will be my on-scooter compass in the future.

I would really suggest getting the scooter, getting the buoyancy and trim of the scooter dialed in, getting a few dives on it, and THEN think about tarting it up. And I mean a few "real" dives with it first. Not just a few dives in a quarry learning how to drive it. You CAN hurt yourself with a scooter - especially if you are "driving distracted". E.g. focusing on a compass and paying no attention to your depth.

If you do something that requires using a compass, use the one you have now and see how that actually works for you before buying anything to add to your scooter.

"Experience" the need before you fulfill it. Don't just buy stuff because someone else suggests that you need it. Do some scooter dives where you have an actual, legit use for a compass. Let that experience inform your purchasing decision.

Give yourself the gift of actual experience with minimalism before you lose the ability to do so.

I just read through your thread a few years ago when you bought yours and you were trying to figure out nose weighting. I also bought the vacuum bulkhead, so I assume that will influence trim and buoyancy as well. I bought the cheapest camera mount, but I don't think I'm going to put it on for the first dive. My thought there was I could use some spare camera arms and use my Sola light(s) using the ball mounts. Again, leaving the clutter at home for a few dives.

Does anyone carry an extra DSMB or float for the DPV for any reason? 2 weeks ago, I noticed one of the divers on the boat hooking up a DSMB to the scooter at the start of the dive. Apparently, she didn't connect the battery properly or pre-test (was a Tusa), and it wouldn't start. She passed by me when I was catching a lobster, so I didn't ultimately see what she was doing with it. I assume she was floating it to get it out of her hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom