Just on the brink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got my regs overhauled a couple of months ago and the first time I dove them was in Key Largo about a month ago. They were tuned fantastically, seemed just on the brink of free-flow at every moment, but never did.

Next time I dive them was yesterday at the 40 degree quarry. As soon as water even touched them, even above water, my primary (the s600) starts hissing. Not really flowing just a very quiet "ssssssssss," like a baby snake in its sleep. I just turned down the control knob a bit and went on with my dive uneventfully (unless you count being cold as a polar bear's ... uh... nose as being eventful).

I'm wondering if this was just a function of the cold or if that hiss is going to get worse or some combination of the two? Is it just that the stage is tuned to "just right" but it will be a little more finicky in the cold?

saying:
Got my regs overhauled a couple of months ago and the first time I dove them was in Key Largo about a month ago. They were tuned fantastically, seemed just on the brink of free-flow at every moment, but never did.

Next time I dive them was yesterday at the 40 degree quarry. As soon as water even touched them, even above water, my primary (the s600) starts hissing. Not really flowing just a very quiet "ssssssssss," like a baby snake in its sleep. I just turned down the control knob a bit and went on with my dive uneventfully (unless you count being cold as a polar bear's ... uh... nose as being eventful).

I'm wondering if this was just a function of the cold or if that hiss is going to get worse or some combination of the two? Is it just that the stage is tuned to "just right" but it will be a little more finicky in the cold?

As said already, the intermediate pressure might be high but more likely it could just be a simple adjustment of the 2nd stage. If turning the control knob stopped the hiss that is fine. If you don't like the idea of having to turn that knob (which is part of its function - to stop a tiny free flow), the orifice can be tightened slightly and that should stop that leak. Not sure if you do any work on your own regs or not but it takes all of a few seconds and I would not charge anyone to do it if I were doing it in my shop..

Bruce Bowker
Bonaire.

If this were me I would not touch them. From what I understand the trickle stopped with 1/2 - 1 turn. If so I wouldn't touch them. This is part of the design of the diver adjustment on most regs. It can be slightly tightened for cold water, or loosened for warmer water. This way you can have a reg that performs ideally in all climates without having to go to the shop. What a great idea eh?

rescuediver009:
If this were me I would not touch them. From what I understand the trickle stopped with 1/2 - 1 turn. If so I wouldn't touch them. This is part of the design of the diver adjustment on most regs. It can be slightly tightened for cold water, or loosened for warmer water. This way you can have a reg that performs ideally in all climates without having to go to the shop. What a great idea eh?

Wasn't even a 1/2 turn. Maybe a 1/4.

I guess I'll see if it takes a 1/4 turn every time I'm in the water. My next dives are going to be in about a month in warm water... if it takes another 1/4 turn there (or, perhaps even, if I can't open it back up) and I'll get 'em to check it out.

I have a G250 tuned the same way. If I make a warm water dive I adjust it on the edge of free flow (never does) but if I hit the cold water with the same adjustment..."portable jacuzzi". This is why I love adjustable regs 1/4-1/2 turn and your ready for any type of diving without sacrificing performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom