Just logged 6th solo dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

Just wanted to post that I have made logged my fifth and sixth solo dives today. Wow, solo is so much better that having to share:D !! Sorry, just my selfish side starting to show:wink: !!

In all honesty, all six dives were fantastic! Water was a warm 45 F on the surface, and about 38-40 F at depth. Vis was not great, about 10-15 ft. at depth, but what a great time!

Anyway, for you guys that have been doing this a while I am sure that this is not exciting but for a "new guy", or FNG, it has been a blast.

Thanks for listening,

Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf:
Hello all,

Just wanted to post that I have made logged my fifth and sixth solo dives today. Wow, solo is so much better that having to share:D !! Sorry, just my selfish side starting to show:wink: !!

In all honesty, all six dives were fantastic! Water was a warm 45 F on the surface, and about 38-40 F at depth. Vis was not great, about 10-15 ft. at depth, but what a great time!

Anyway, for you guys that have been doing this a while I am sure that this is not exciting but for a "new guy", or FNG, it has been a blast.

Thanks for listening,

Dark Wolf

Personally, I enjoy seeing (or hearing) someone's enthusiasm for diving, so thank you!

What did you learn?

It might be something that would help me, too, as almost every dive I do provides some added experience. :)

Dave C

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the post. Most of what I worked on the last six dives were basic skills. Bouyancy has been my bigest problem. I did my pool time in swimming trunks, and due to the water temps of Missouri this time of year I am diving in a 7 mil farmer john suit.

Needless to say, takes some getting used to!! I would say the biggest lesson is the same thing that they tell you in OW training. Easy on the inflator/deflator:D !! Aside from that, PAY ATTENTION. I am a new diver, and work a rotating shift. I have known for some time that when I got certified, most of my diving would be solo. Therefore, I have done a lot of studying and thinking about how to set gear up, etc.

Anything that you have learned? Keep me posted, and I will do the same. What a great sport!!!

Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf:
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the post. Most of what I worked on the last six dives were basic skills. Bouyancy has been my bigest problem. I did my pool time in swimming trunks, and due to the water temps of Missouri this time of year I am diving in a 7 mil farmer john suit.

Needless to say, takes some getting used to!! I would say the biggest lesson is the same thing that they tell you in OW training. Easy on the inflator/deflator:D !! Aside from that, PAY ATTENTION. I am a new diver, and work a rotating shift. I have known for some time that when I got certified, most of my diving would be solo. Therefore, I have done a lot of studying and thinking about how to set gear up, etc.

Anything that you have learned? Keep me posted, and I will do the same. What a great sport!!!

Dark Wolf

I really appreciate your honesty! Buoyancy control can take a while, especially when distracted by so many other new sensations and thoughts.

What have I learned? You nailed a big one with "PAY ATTENTION", I think. Might be one of the most important. That's kind of a key to keeping alert to the lessons that come along.

If I pay attention, really reflect on what's happening, I'm more likely to notice the lessons that are constantly popping up.

That means to stop and think during a dive, look around, figure things out.

That seems to keep the lessons from being the "hard way"! :)

Self-honesty and humility got ingrained pretty quickly for me once I started solo diving, too. You seem to have that already.

By the way, I'll bet most of us started solo diving because of the convenience, I know I did.

Before long, it became evident that it was often safer than buddy diving, at least for my typical open water dives.

Certainly more peaceful.

Nice to hear your perspective!

Dave C

Ahhhh Yes...... it makes me think back and laugh a bit...
I too did my first solo dive wearing a brand new 7 mil farmer john and it was an experience thats for sure :D
I went back to the car 3 times before I had enough Lead to sink :rofl3:

I'm glad you enjoy the time alone .... Keep thinking and keep learning and keep going Solo when you can too .

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I appreciate your views and opinions, if you ever get to Missouri let me know.

Dark Wolf

Timeliner:
Ahhhh Yes...... it makes me think back and laugh a bit...
I too did my first solo dive wearing a brand new 7 mil farmer john and it was an experience thats for sure :D
I went back to the car 3 times before I had enough Lead to sink :rofl3:

I'm glad you enjoy the time alone .... Keep thinking and keep learning and keep going Solo when you can too .

:D I understand completely!! I am wearing 28 pounds of weight and it is not too light, but definitely not too much either!! I was thinking today I might add 2 pounds, but not sure.
Thanks for all the words of wisdom, they are appreciated greatly!!

Dark Wolf

By the way Timeliner,

I have been to Paris, Texas. Maybe next time we can plan a dive? Hope that I am not intruding by asking!?

Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf:
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I appreciate your views and opinions, if you ever get to Missouri let me know.

Dark Wolf

You bet! Thanks, Dark Wolf.

Likewise, too, and holler if you get out my way (New England).

Cape Ann, MA, has some real nice shore diving.

I'm always glad to buddy up with people with such a sensible, positive outlook! :)

Enjoy!

Dave C

Well thanks Dave,

I have never been to New England. I guess that it is about time to make a trip!:D Probably won't be this year, but maybe next year?!

Do you do any Lobster hunting? Has been a dream of mine forever!! Thanks for the invite!

Dark Wolf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom