Just Left Cozumel Today - Airport Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were flying AA with a 4 pm departure. Arrived at airport and the first line. While waiting seemed about everyone had one of their bags checked. Open it up on the floor and scan with a small black wand which I would think was for explosives. Closed up and checked COVID test results by another agent then to a table to fill out a form which the agent there kept. One table - 2 pens. Quick and easy. Checked in at counter and then directed to another table to fill out another form - 2 tables, 4 pens, before going through security. Basically name, passport number, citizenship and date of arrival etc. This gets handed over to agent while showing boarding pass etc. My wife's purse had to be check twice and scanned twice. Turned out it was her hair ban. If you know the Cozumel waiting area you now have half the seating as before. Very crowded with 2 planes of passengers waiting. We just went into the lodge which was $35 US per couple. Quiet and private bathroom. Entrance fee gets you some snacks and 3 drinks a piece. Drinks are very limited. They look at you boarding pass and let you know when your plane is boarding. No announcements in lodge.

Hope this helps.

While waiting seemed about everyone had one of their bags checked. Open it up on the floor and scan with a small black wand which I would think was for explosives.
Are you saying they randomly asked you to open one bag on the floor so they could inspect it? If you have multiple bags, who decides which one is inspected? Does this take place at the first checkpoint?

We just left Thursday for the second time in a month or so.
The three things:

Attestation form: Southwest has that on their website and app, so you can knock it out ahead of time. "I solemnly swear I am up to no good...."

Covid test form. Check in agent copied the info into the computer. Got our brain pokes at Costamed. They are very nice and accommodating.

MX Health Form: Most everyone seems to fill that out in the airport on a tiny slip of paper. But you can do it online AND it saves your info to the NEXT trip is easier. Also you can easily add companions without the need to type all the same info again. Iniciar sesión | VUELA-SEGURO (I hate little tiny airport forms on little tiny airport tables....)

Southwest, check the bottom right of the boarding pass. if you got the SSSS on it, you are getting secondary inspection. Get up there and sit by the desk and let them know so you can get checked as soon as they start. That used to screw up your boarding position, but they got it figured out now. They check the secondary inspection and stack you by the gate so you don't lose you spot.

We used to always run non-stop BWI to CUN, so these were our first BWI-Hobby-CZM trips on Southwest. I have to check with SW, but it appears that if you get the secondary inspection, it deletes your pre-check for the second leg. That kinda sucked when the agent in the pre-check line points it out. I have to say though, that Hobby Airport in Houston is nice. She checked us and then got us right into the front of the non-precheck line. BWI they would have sent us on the walk of shame all the way out and back in line on the other side. Immigration and Customs is a breeze in Hobby too. Very nice. And Global Entry no longer requires you to stick your passport in, they do it all on facial recognition. That's nice as I am always worried I am gonna leave the PP in the machine. However, it does need work. The wife got a GE slip with someone else's name, picture and flight on it. The wife was much better looking too. I guess that is why they are actually checking PPs in the GE line?

Are you saying they randomly asked you to open one bag on the floor so they could inspect it? If you have multiple bags, who decides which one is inspected? Does this take place at the first checkpoint?

First thing was the bag inspection. They choose and then put a sticker on it. No table - on the floor. Seems like a quota had to be filled. Just guessing. Nothing is move from the back they just go over it with the wand.

First thing was the bag inspection. They choose and then put a sticker on it. No table - on the floor. Seems like a quota had to be filled. Just guessing. Nothing is move from the back they just go over it with the wand.

Hey you know come to think of it, at the Southwest check in desk when we flew back in April, a guy came out and I think swabbed the wife's one (of two) carryon. Certainly did not open it. Put a blue sticker on it.

Hey you know come to think of it, at the Southwest check in desk when we flew back in April, a guy came out and I think swabbed the wife's one (of two) carryon. Certainly did not open it. Put a blue sticker on it.

Just got back 5/10/21. United Airlines. Airport was smooth as silk. No problem if you have your Covid test. You are always subject to random search in Coz airport. Other tnan a little inconvenience, it’s no big deal, unless you’re smuggling. Have fun, no worries.

No big deal but I've never seen them open a checked bag before. I'll put my underwear on top so they aren't marking which bags have the goodies.

Just got back 5/10/21. United Airlines. Airport was smooth as silk. No problem if you have your Covid test. You are always subject to random search in Coz airport. Other tnan a little inconvenience, it’s no big deal, unless you’re smuggling. Have fun, no worries.

Yea it was easy, but it was 2 different thing. Pre-pandemic and after, both in CUN and CZM, at the GATE, they pull people for random secondary inspection, which at least at SW can be seen on the boarding pass.

New for us at CZM in April was at the check in desk, before security, someone came out and swabbed (as I recall) my wife's one carry one. Didnt open it. And put a blue dot sticker on it.

Then in May she got the dreaded mark on her boarding pass and got pulled for the secondary 'TSA' search, where they looked through everything. But they have it worked out now, so you don't lose your boarding position.

Fun arrival story:

So the last trip we volunteered to mule like a PILE swim suits and back packs and parkas that were donated for a youth swim team. Like nearly 2 duffle bags of stuff. I had letters and such and was ready to fight the good fight in customs.

So I am picking up the bags in CZM and there is large tag strapped on my one duffle that says it needs inspection. I was like 'and so it begins.'

I do the xray, I actually do the push button and get green. Then they direct me to a table anyway. They ONLY want to look at the bag with the tag. In fact they tell the wife to keep going. She like ran out the door. Never looked back.

"Is there food in there?"

"Si? Posible?" and I open it.

Well there is some old bay for someone and some cookies or something. oh and ziplocks. Those are like Mayan gold.

She points at the clear container with some rolls in it. I forget about them. Texas Roadhouse rolls for my neighbor. He loves them.

"Is that a sandwich?"

"No. solamente, pan. it's just rolls."

"Does it have ham or cheese?"

"No. No es sandwich. solamente, pan."

"Ok" now right next to it is a stack of, like a bunch of back packs and my new BCD.

"Is the rest for scuba?"

"yes?"

"Oka, you can go."

Man did I need a drink....

oh and ziplocks. Those are like Mayan gold.
I thought they were prohibited now, but someone posted a photo of a big stack for sell at Mega on FB yesterday.

When we came in a few days ago, a lady looked at my printed customs form closely, as if looking for something specific, then decisively said we will need to inspect all your bags and pointed to the table. No red/green button. She didn't even look at me so I'm wondering if they are doing something like going by last number of serial number, say "today all numbers ending in 1 or 5 get inspected"?

Back
Top Bottom