Just Got My First Setup, What Do Y'all Have To Say?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

63diver63

Reaction score
Hey yall i just purchased my first setup for scuba diving and got some pretty good deals let me know what ya think.

BC Scubapro Knighthawk (this was a steal found a guy PCS'ing and got it for 150.00
Regulators
Primary.... Aqua Lung Titan 200.00
Secondary..... Aqua Lung Octopus (free with purchase of the first)
Gauges... Sherwood compact console (reg price 130.00/ got it for 98.00 on sale)

Well let me know what you guys think of this gear and if you have used it before tell me your experiences with it. Thanks.

63diver63

The only thing I'd warn you about is the BC. SP's back inflate BC's have a velcro attachment that attaches the bottom (or rear) of the bladder to the jacket/ harness. The velcro tends to wear out quickly, causing the bottom of an empty AL80 or such tank & the bottomof the bladder to float up. This can cause a bit of instability in the water &potentially cause the regulator to be pushed into the back of the head or neck (uncomfortable). My LDS sells these BC's & that is the biggest gripe about them. we've had 1 instructor have to send his back to SP twice in the last couple of years for this problem (the pool seem to deteriorate the velcro faster).

It sounds like you did just fine... Now, get out and DIVE it! Tell us how you feel in it! :D

Hey yall i just purchased my first setup for scuba diving and got some pretty good deals let me know what ya think.

BC Scubapro Knighthawk (this was a steal found a guy PCS'ing and got it for 150.00
Regulators
Primary.... Aqua Lung Titan 200.00
Secondary..... Aqua Lung Octopus (free with purchase of the first)
Gauges... Sherwood compact console (reg price 130.00/ got it for 98.00 on sale)

Well let me know what you guys think of this gear and if you have used it before tell me your experiences with it. Thanks.

63diver63
I would say you need to buy a dive computer to use instead of gauges.

dude enjoy what you have and use it as much as you can, dive gear is all about personal preference, everyone likes something different usually the gear they have, I have no doubt like all of us you will change some of your gear as you gain more experience its an addiction..by the way I too live in Japan hows the diving in Okinawa?...anyway good on ya for making the step to owning your own gear...good luck and good diving...and happy new Year..

Oh and I own Aqua lung Regs have been using them for about 7 years and like them just fine...

I would say you need to buy a dive computer to use instead of gauges.

Totally unnecessary at this point. Too many people rely on computers and forget the basics. Get yourself used to diving tables. If you want to do multilevel stuff learn how to use PADI's wheel. It works well as long as you stick to your dive plan(which is always a good thing). Have fun, get your buoyancy down and if it becomes necessary get a comp later on. Funny thing is I got a comp early on and as I've progressed in my diving find my self using it less and less for recreational stuff except perhaps deep recreational dives and when diving tech it's just used as a bottom timer since we cut and dive tables exclusively until down the road when I get full trimix and a comp capable of doing it. But will still be cutting tables as backup. BTW the price for the Knighthawk was a real steal and other than what Tammy said I've heard no complaints about it.

First welcome to da board. I would say you did fine as well. Now get it wet. I will agree with Jim on the computer. Nice to have but not a requirement. For years I used the simple rule that my max dive depth in feet when added to my bottom time could not be more than 100. That along with a 60 minute SI. I could do most dives I wanted. I dove that way along with learning the wheel for 15 years before getting a computer.

Sounds like you got a good deal on some good gear. The Knighthawk is a good BC. I've had a Ladyhawk for years which is similar and no problems.

Some people will tell you computers are a waste, some will tell you you have to have one, and both are unhelpful blanket statements. You obviously don't have to have one as people dove fine before they existed. For some types of diving they are not useful or of limited use, and for some types of diving they are very useful, or at the very least nice to have. Even if you get one later having backup gauges is a good thing.

that's good equipment, which will serve you well

at the risk of throwing GAS on the FIRE, i would say that you should think about buying a computer and learning to use it ALONG WITH THE TABLES

it helps to have as many tools at your disposal as possible. diving is not either or

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom