Just found out I'm likely to Singapore in September!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@KristenK How long do you have? Maybe that will determine whether you have time to balance relaxing with AOW. AOW isn't very intensive compared to OW so I wouldn't write it off completely, especially if you live in Colorado and it may not be so easy to get it done, especially if you like warm/clear water.

At minimum, I agree with @Lorenzoid, a 3mm full is probably better. There are cold upwellings and thermoclines even in tropical water. I have yet to be too warm even in a 5mm which is probably closer to a 4mm now. It sucks to be cold while diving and if you do any repetitive diving, that is more so of a likelihood. In addition, I like having the full protection from coral, stingers, and as I once learned - a triggerfish or other angry/defensive critter. He would have broken skin and I would have needed stitches if not for my wetsuit. (It was so painful! The guy the week before me had to get them....)

There are a lot of dive computer options - start with figuring out whether you want a wrist or console based and what your budget is.

@KristenK How long do you have? Maybe that will determine whether you have time to balance relaxing with AOW. AOW isn't very intensive compared to OW so I wouldn't write it off completely, especially if you live in Colorado and it may not be so easy to get it done, especially if you like warm/clear water.

I haven't made my flights yet, but I imagine just 3 days, to give myself 24 hours before next flight. It all depends on coordinating with my departure home.

I get to go shopping....yay!!

For 3 days of diving I think it's sensible to stay in Padang Bai, especially if you're doing a course. Traffic in Bali is horrible and it takes forever to do what seems like short journeys. Just a heads up, it's a bit of a basic port village :)

I use Geko's facilities regularly and recommend them, but I recently joined some friends on an Aquamarine trip to Nusa Penida and I really liked how they run it. Namely that the boat is bigger and has a sundeck, and they do 3 dives there.

What didn’t you like about it?

I wonder what the OP decided as Sept is almost here :)
The diving wasn't great for the amount of effort in travel time. Personally I'd get on a plane for the weekend.

Hey everyone....just found out yesterday that Singapore is a go!!!

So after a week of work, I'll fly to Bali. I think I'll stay at Bloo Lagoon resort (a property listed on Geko's website.) I'll be in touch with Geko this week. I was thinking of getting my AOW with them, but I also want to spend some time relaxing...and don't know if that would allow much down time. Thoughts????

I'm going to buy a dive computer, so need to start researching that. I have a 2mm shorty...will that do? I'll pack my mask and fins.

I shall be in touch with a few of you regarding restaurants and other things to do.

I am very excited...hubby is being sweet and supportive, but I know he wishes he could be with me.
Go for the AOW for sure. I have a very simple Suunto Zoop for a dive computer - it's cheap and has done the job for 300+ dives. I have no intention of replacing it anytime soon.

There are a few dive sites that are pretty nippy, but bring your 2mm and if you need something thicker, Geko will have something.

If you're flying a budget airline, book sooner rather than later, as the price does go up significantly.

With one airline (forgot which), I couldn't book online with my US card and had to go to the airport and pay in SGD. Hopefully that's changed.

The hotel that my company put me up in allowed luggage storage for up to three months! They often have guest that leave luggage to explore SE Asia. This is for after I checked out too. Make sure you retain the ticket. I suppose a drawback is returning to retrieve the luggage and not flying back and heading right for an international flight.

Some airlines allow extra free allowance for dive gear, if you happen to be a heavy packer and need the additional limits.

Take your mask as carry-on, if prescription, and your dive computer. Also, any dive logs and your cert card. The rest can be checked.

Hey everyone....just found out yesterday that Singapore is a go!!!

So after a week of work, I'll fly to Bali. I think I'll stay at Bloo Lagoon resort (a property listed on Geko's website.) I'll be in touch with Geko this week. I was thinking of getting my AOW with them, but I also want to spend some time relaxing...and don't know if that would allow much down time. Thoughts????

I'm going to buy a dive computer, so need to start researching that. I have a 2mm shorty...will that do? I'll pack my mask and fins.

I shall be in touch with a few of you regarding restaurants and other things to do.

I am very excited...hubby is being sweet and supportive, but I know he wishes he could be with me.

Hi Kristen - Great suggestions from everyone. From my experience, I would take a 3 mm full wetsuit. Although each person has a different tolerance to cold water, a 2 or 3mm shorty will not be sufficient. My presence for wetsuits in Bali and Indonesia is different than most other divers. With respect to computers, make sure that you know how to use the computer, or bring the instruction manual to Indonesia. As mentioned earlier, a to Zoop Novo Dive Computer is fine. I help divers with all sorts of computers. Even with the instruction manual, some computers do not have intuitive menus.

Blu Lagoon is fine, but try to get a villa on top of the hill. Its a short walk to town, or the resort will drive you to town and pick you up from town for no charge.

James or Cedric @Geko can easily call the Blue Lagoon after dinner for the drive up the hill. My wife and I usually walk to town, but sometimes its nice to get a lift. Geko has very good guides, well-maintained boats, and a very good safety procedures. Give them my best. Charlie (reporting from Komodo Marine Preserve)

If you want restaurant recommendations, let me know.

Cedric at Geko is wonderful....so quick to respond and very helpful. I'll have 3 full days to dive so I'm going to do my AOW. :)

All I need to do is book my travel from Singapore to Bali. I'm doing roundtrip, because leaving from Bali to come back to the US is stupid expensive. Here's advice I need. Plane home leaves Changi at 2:25 am. There's a flight from Bali to Changi that arrives at 11:15 pm. I'm wondering if I should take that one or just go much earlier, in case there is a delay.

How safe is Padangbai? I've traveled all over by myself (India, Dubai, Europe) so I know how to not be stupid. But I do love walking around and exploring.

Yes to all offers for restaurant recommendations and anything else I should try to do while there.

Thanks everyone!!!

Go to Bali or Sipidan. Bali is easy and fast to get to, and the east coast has some killer diving. Nusa Penida is great, as is Tulamben.

Sipidan off the coast of Borneo is even better, but takes a little longer to get to because you have to fly from Singapore to Kota Kinabulu and then to Tawau. If you have the time you should go there. I just got back. Here is a link to my dive report.

My Mola: Scuba Diving Sipadan, Mabul, and Kapalai

Once you have enjoyed Singapore, my adopted city, and then dived Bali, your mind will be blown!! And I'm willing to bet you a large Chilli Crab dinner that you will be repeating the adventure very very soon!
Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom