Just found out I'm likely to Singapore in September!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, you don't!
A wee bit of pickle ginger.

Maybe a lot of pickled ginger. Those things aren't good! (from an American palate perspective)

Maybe a lot of pickled ginger. Those things aren't good! (from an American palate perspective)
Not even among Chinese! More than acquired taste.
I can't remember the last time I had it.
BTW, you need to know where it is manufactured if you want to stay away from lead or other heavy metals or chemicals!!!! Look for the "Lead Free" label on the box but whether it is real lead free is another story.

If you've got a few more days to spare I'd personally recommend Philippines. Cebu can be cheap to fly to from Singapore and it isn't that long a flight too, and people from Philippines are some of the nicest I've met. Great diving, great food!

Also feel free to PM me for food and any other recommendations in Singapore :) we're a food loving people.

I've spent the last 8 months living here in SG, and doing a fair bit of diving whilst here. I would not recommend Tioman as a place to spend the weekend - the diving is indeed decent, if you have a good guide. However, the transits back and forth make it completely not worth it. I was there last month and it took 8 hours to return 150km.

I would wholeheartedly recommend you fly to Bali, contact Cedric at Geko Divers as recommended above and he'll sort out a good mix of diving for you. Three dive days and you will be golden. Padang Bai is 90 min-ish from the airport. You could do a weekend in Tulamben but the transfer is lengthy for a long weekend (3 hours). I'll be back in Bali for 12 days in December.

As for SG, it's only KINDA Asia. :) It happens to sit in Asia, and the people are Chinese or Malay or other fairly local origin, but it does not act like an Asian city. It's like the Zurich of Asia. Depending on your preferences, this could be good or bad. Personally I leave as often as possible. :)

maat1976

Hey everyone....just found out yesterday that Singapore is a go!!!

So after a week of work, I'll fly to Bali. I think I'll stay at Bloo Lagoon resort (a property listed on Geko's website.) I'll be in touch with Geko this week. I was thinking of getting my AOW with them, but I also want to spend some time relaxing...and don't know if that would allow much down time. Thoughts????

I'm going to buy a dive computer, so need to start researching that. I have a 2mm shorty...will that do? I'll pack my mask and fins.

I shall be in touch with a few of you regarding restaurants and other things to do.

I am very excited...hubby is being sweet and supportive, but I know he wishes he could be with me.

That's great, Kristen. I would say never mind taking an AOW course--just relax and enjoy the diving. You can take AOW anywhere.

As for the wetsuit, as individuals our thermal tolerances differ. I would never find it warm enough anywhere in the world to dive a 2 mm shorty, which is pretty much the same insulating value as a diveskin, i.e., close to zero. I prefer at least a 3 mm full suit for anywhere in the tropics, but that's just me. I have used a 5 mm in Bali, but it was so well worn that it was probably closer to 3-4 mm in insulating value.

@maat1976 : "the Zurich of Asia." That's it in a nutshell! Better food than Zurich, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom