Just Finished Shadow Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Shadow Divers" is sitting amidst a mountain of books on my "to read" stack, so it will probably be part of my summer reading list. Due to the rave reviews, I'll have to move it closer to the top of the pile.

I also have "Diver Down" by Michael Ange (signed by the author at Beneath the Sea) on the pile. Looks like a quick read, with some good info. Has anyone read this one?

Speaking of summer reading, "A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffett is a good one for those summer SI's.

I got it for Christmas, a gift from my daughter. It was a quick read, some decent information, good to review, and pretty well written. I can also recommend Deep Descent. another can't put down read.

nyprrthd:
I also have "Diver Down" by Michael Ange (signed by the author at Beneath the Sea) on the pile. Looks like a quick read, with some good info. Has anyone read this one?

I'm about half way through this one, and it's good reading. I'm a beginer, and reading about what's gone wrong for other people, and the mistakes they've made, is quite educational for me. I hope it makes me a safer diver.

A pal of mine that's a casual diver gave me Shadow Diver's a couple years ago and said, "You have to read this". He was right.

I'd say that with regard to "Last Dive", everyone has to read it. the only problem I had with "Last Dive" was the ending is quite the downer. I'd think about read "Last Dive first, then read "Shadow Divers".

This from Amazon re "Last Dive"

"Chris and Chrissy Rouse, an experienced father-and-son scuba diving team, hoped to achieve widespread recognition for their outstanding but controversial diving skills. Obsessed and ambitious, they sought to solve the secrets of a mysterious, undocumented World War II German U-boat that lay under 230 feet of water, only a half-day's mission from New York Harbor. They paid the ultimate price in their quest for fame.

This gripping narrative recounts the Rouses' growing lust for what many consider the world's most dangerous sport -- as well as for the cowboy culture of the deepdiving community. Father and son were only eighteen years apart in age, and their constant battles of will earned them the nickname "the Bicker Brothers." Many friends wondered which would win out if it came down to a life-or-death diving situation: Chris's protective instincts or Chrissy's desire to surpass his father's successes."

Reading both of these books was a similar experience. I more or less devoured them. I plan on going back and doing a slow read on both works, eventually.

So much to read, so little time! Right now I'm reading the Emergency First Responder text, and will be taking the course this coming Friday. Then, I need to read the "Adventures in Diving" text, because we're taking the AOW course in June down in Cozumel.

After all that, it will be recreational reading only (with a boat drink in hand) for quite a while! :D

Great pics of you guys diving with Chatterton and Kohler - I hope I have the opportunity to do that some day (still need quite a bit of training first!) - okay, lessee, trimix, adv trimix, ext range, wreck penetraion, ccr... anyone have $20,000 for education and equipment they can float me? I've got my eye on a nice gently used PRISM with a tricked out flame paint job... ;-)

Was wondering, what's that funky rebreather that Chatterton uses? The one that looks like a radar dish? I guess I've only seen Cygnus / Dolphin / Prism variaties.... that one's new to me.

That dat we where diving the u-853 and had davers from AOW and up on the boat
the wreck sits in 125 FSW so its very doable for many divers.
we go there quite often.
Chatterton was diving a ouroboros, he used to dive a insparation, richie and Carp Mike dive the evolution (evo) basicaly a more compact version of the insparation.
me i dive LP 125's :)
o and i have seen alot of this latley
the extended range class. yeah you can scratch that right off your to do list.
ADV nitrix and deco, then basic trimix
save your money on extended range,
extended range, entry lever trimix used to be one class. and its not any more, and is rarley tought together unless someone really really wants another c-card

Yes, Chattertons rebreather is a Oroboros, It's a new rebreather on the market, which is produced by the same people who make the VR3, I believe.

I agree with Diesel, save your money on extended range. It's really just a deep air class. I would just jump from advanced nitrox/decompression procedures to entry trimix. That's going to be my plan of action. I'm starting my advanced nitrox/decompression procedures in July. I'm looking forward to that!

Bought Shadow Divers on the way out to Lanazarote last October at the airport. Finished it on the flight home including the section where the father and son lose their lives. Brought a lump to the throat and really makes you think of the hazards. We all dive and all do so routinely without actually thinking about risks as we work hard to minimise them. Was a very sobering and poingnant part of the book and really made me think for a bit. Great read, need more diving books to read.

Back
Top Bottom