Just Finished Shadow Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"If a big city dweller stays in town long enough, he will likely either come close to dying, watch another city dweller die, or die himself. There are times in this live when it is difficult to say which of the three outcomes is worse."

sorry just had to modify it a bit. anyway, great book - i read it also from front to back fast and enjoyed it. only thing, why must everybody overdramatize tech (even extreme) diving? ok, the risk of an accident increases (same as i take a blindfold in nyc and try to cross times square in rush hour traffic compared to not being blindfolded) but being prepaired and have a good support team (on times square that would be the guys that stop the traffic for me) it is not that dramatic!!! it needs a bit more planning than taking a taxi across, so to say LOL.

..............quite a lot. It gave me a whole new perspective of the inherent risks of diving. Hopefully, my "new" awareness has made me a better diver.

I also think I now have a little more "reverence" when I dive a wreck.

For me it was a great book.

Good Diving,

Dave

loved the book , but must admit I cheated I was on vacation in FL and found the audio version on CD's. listened to it for 6 hours on my trip home to VA. Could not wait to put the next disk in. Very well read and great information on the struggles they endured for so long.

I finally read it a couple of weeks ago. The the thing that surprised me was the number of times John Chatterton had wriggled into that hole, including a couple of near fatals.

I think the book is very good, but I am glad I also read:

The Last Dive
Fatal Depth
Deep Descent
Dark Descent
Caverns Measureless to Man
...and a bunch of others.

I have come to the conclusion that it is _really_ unwise to lean too much on one author in regards to deep diving.

I loved shadow divers, especially since I was on the plane to belize when I read it and I didn't have to worry about it all. It was def. a page turner

creamofwheat:
I just finished this book a couple days ago as well...

it was a real eye opener, for sure. couldn't put it down. My mom also read it (and she is a non-diver), and it freaks her out that i am heading in the direction of deep wreck diving. perhaps i shouldn't have let her read it. :wink: at any rate, it was truly an amazing book.

I lent the book to my mom and made sure I told her that I don't dive like that. :D She loved it and she's a non-diver too. She came with me to hear John, Richie and Robert speak at the New Canaan library in Ct. (that's where the photo of me and them in my profile was taken). I have to say that John is the one of the most gracious human beings I have ever met. I had emailed him a few times to find out where they were going to be because the two times I did see them, I didn't have my book with me for them to sign. I told him my mom was coming with me to see them at the library. When we were standing in line to get my book signed, I introduced myself, then he looked at my mom and said "This must be your mother." Like he remembered that I said I was bringing her. Can you believe that? A man with his schedule and the stuff he must have to remember? Totally impressed me.

yep, they're both really genuinely nice guys. somewhere in the pics here is one of me & them & moonie. they thought he was funny!

i read 'last dive' on my first dive trip ever, for my first post-cert dives, at ginnie springs. that was eerie, since so much of it happens at ginnie.

Don Burke:
I finally read it a couple of weeks ago. The the thing that surprised me was the number of times John Chatterton had wriggled into that hole, including a couple of near fatals.

I think the book is very good, but I am glad I also read:

The Last Dive
Fatal Depth
Deep Descent
Dark Descent
Caverns Measureless to Man
...and a bunch of others.

I have come to the conclusion that it is _really_ unwise to lean too much on one author in regards to deep diving.

How about when Chatterton removed his tanks and shoved them through the holes when they were too small for him and his rig?

Thanks for the book recommendations!

Just finished reading the last dive and have already started on shadow divers, and fatal depth- I imagine I'll have them both read in a matter of days :)

creamofwheat:
I just finished this book a couple days ago as well...

it was a real eye opener, for sure. couldn't put it down. My mom also read it (and she is a non-diver), and it freaks her out that i am heading in the direction of deep wreck diving. perhaps i shouldn't have let her read it. :wink: at any rate, it was truly an amazing book.

I'm headed in that direction as well - was seriously considering taking a class from "RunawayLobster" Leslie in Ft. Lauderdale. She does a 7 day trimix / extended range / technical wreck penetration class.... very very tempting..

D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom