just discovering the problem with suunto transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And your logic is hard to follow. The main point was that Suunto is stuck in the old model that the user is not capable of performing a simple battery change. This used to be common with oil filled computers, but has mainly gone away.

I mentioned the reliability of the PPS transmitters, and you responded with two instances of Shearwater computer malfunctions. The PPS transmitter is not even made by Shearwater.

And to address your quoted threads.

In this one looks like Shearwater responded and worked it out to swap through a Shearwater dealer that would be local to him in order to avoid any missed dives.

And in this case, a 4 year old computer was replaced for the cost of shipping. It was 3 years out of warranty.

And, the summary I got from reading those two threads you posted was that the owners of the failed units are still happy Shearwater owners. So, I'm not exactly sure what your point was supposed to be.

Got any examples of Suunto handling failed units in such a manner? I'll wait.
As I recall, there was a depth sensor issue with Suunto computers a while back. They had to be forced to cover units in the US by a class action lawsuit. And as I recall, they did nothing for the ones that were not sold in the US.

Yes, anything can fail. Electronics, mechanical parts, whatever. They all can fail. The company's response to these failures is what makes a difference.
Yes there was a class lawsuit as I previously mentioned and in EU it was not covered properly.

The point of those 2 videos is not related to the wireless pod BUT to the fact hat every time someone sells a product, some folks will be happy and some won't. ALL products have issues.

I also wrote that Suunto doesn't want customers to be fiddling with the Pods in case something happens. It isn't the best solution but I don't necessarily disagree. There are many idiots out there...
Also, this is not exclusive to Suunto. Many brands don't allow customers to change the battery on their DCs for the same reason. Newer DC have integrated batteries that cannot be replaced at all so as I said, self servicing might be more comfortable but it is not always the best or safer solution.

In the case of the OP, the battery life that he is complaining about seems to be normal (about 2 years) and due to a lack of preparation and / or service pre dive planning. Nothing horrible and he is in Tonga, not the easiest way of getting service for anything actually.

My comment about your position is that you are basing your negative opinion on people complaining, not the thousands of people happy that obviously have nothing to complain nor post about.
As I used to joke in my previous job position, if you listen to a mechanic, all cars are crap...

I also wrote that Suunto doesn't want customers to be fiddling with the Pods in case something happens. It isn't the best solution but I don't necessarily disagree. There are many idiots out there...
Fine. I agree. Lots of idiots out there. For those that are capable of changing a battery, they might want to look elsewhere. For those that can't Suunto has a solution. But, I think if a user is incapable of changing a simple battery, then diving may not be the best activity for them.
Also, this is not exclusive to Suunto. Many brands don't allow customers to change the battery on their DCs for the same reason. Newer DC have integrated batteries that cannot be replaced at all so as I said, self servicing might be more comfortable but it is not always the best or safer solution.
That's a reach. Computers with rechargeable batteries are designed so that the batteries don't have to be replaced by the user. As they can be recharged without removing. That's completely different than what the OP was not happy about.
In the case of the OP, the battery life that he is complaining about seems to be normal (about 2 years) and due to a lack of preparation and / or service pre dive planning. Nothing horrible and he is in Tonga, not the easiest way of getting service for anything actually.
I never said the battery life was bad. I just said it should be able to be replaced by the user. Even more important when the user is in Tonga.
My comment about your position is that you are basing your negative opinion on people complaining, not the thousands of people happy that obviously have nothing to complain nor post about.
As I used to joke in my previous job position, if you listen to a mechanic, all cars are crap...
I'm basing my position in this case on Suunto thinking a battery change should be a dealer/repair center service. My broader position on Suunto is based on lots of cases of failures AND the response by Suunto to those failures.

Your attempt to show that Shearwater users were unhappy with their computers after a failure seemed to show the opposite.

Many “idiots” change Shearwater computer/transmitter batteries just fine.
Many idiots indeed. We agree.

Also, within the same brand, some DCs can have a self replaceable battery, some don't. So once again, generalizing is wrong.

From the Shearwater website:

Perdix 2 - 1000€

It is very important that the battery cap O-rings are clear of dust or debris. Carefully inspect the O-rings for any debris or damage and gently clean. It is recommended that the battery cap’s O-ring is lubricated on a regular basis with an O-ring lubricant compatible with Buna-N (Nitrile) O-rings. Lubricating helps ensure that the O-ring seats properly and does not twist or bunch. Insert the battery cap into the Perdix 2 and compress the battery contact springs. While the springs are compressed rotate the battery cap clockwise to engage the threads. Be sure not to cross thread the battery cap’s threads. Tighten the battery cap until snug and the Perdix 2 powers on. Do not over tighten the battery cap.

This can be easy for many BUT can also be complicated for many idiots... you just need to ask any authorized repair center and you'll get the picture.

Peregrine - 500€

Shearwater recommends service of your dive computer every 2 years by an authorized service center. Evidence of tampering will void your warranty
Battery Rechargeable Lithium Ion battery Factory and service center replaceable

The typical battery life is 5 years.

The battery can be replaced at authorized service centers. The cost of replacement is $100 CAD + shipping.

The turn around time for replacement is 5 business days after receipt of payment, excluding shipping time. The battery replacement includes inspection, functional testing and pressure testing.

You have to replace the expensive and rare battery every couple of yr!
The battery is cheap and easy to find if you order online. It's the new transmitter cap that they want you to use that's the harder part to get.

Fine. I agree. Lots of idiots out there. For those that are capable of changing a battery, they might want to look elsewhere. For those that can't Suunto has a solution. But, I think if a user is incapable of changing a simple battery, then diving may not be the best activity for them.

That's a reach. Computers with rechargeable batteries are designed so that the batteries don't have to be replaced by the user. As they can be recharged without removing. That's completely different than what the OP was not happy about.

I never said the battery life was bad. I just said it should be able to be replaced by the user. Even more important when the user is in Tonga.

I'm basing my position in this case on Suunto thinking a battery change should be a dealer/repair center service. My broader position on Suunto is based on lots of cases of failures AND the response by Suunto to those failures.

Your attempt to show that Shearwater users were unhappy with their computers after a failure seemed to show the opposite.
Not only Suunto as I wrote previously, Shearwater also has computers with no user serviceable battery.
So the idiots are in both sides of the alley. Capabilities are irrelevant with DC brand.

At the end of the day, at some point you need to send your computer for service, just send the transmitter as well. People also need to service their regs every 1-2 years (at least officially). Only a big deal if you make it... or live in Tonga. In Munich I have dozens of Suunto Service centers.
What is normal for the Spyder is chaos for the Fly.

My attempt was not to demonstrate that 'Shearwater users were unhappy with their computers', read again please. What I am saying is that with EVERY brand and product, there are happy and unhappy owners.
Products fail. You on the other hand mentioned that from what you read from Suunto owners you are happy you don't own any of their gear. Well, read from this happy owner. I am sure there are many more around this forum.

ps. I hate Shearwater's interface. I am also happy I don't own any of their gear :wink:

Also, within the same brand, some DCs can have a self replaceable battery, some don't. So once again, generalizing is wrong.
I really don't understand why you continue to bring in the in-housing rechargeable batteries to the discussion. That's not what is in the OP's transmitter. If it were, I don't think he would have had as much heartburn with not being able to replace the batteries himself. He would have been able to recharge his transmitter and move on.

A sealed rechargeable battery is completely different than what we are talking about.

Not only Suunto as I wrote previously, Shearwater also has computers with no user serviceable battery.
So the idiots are in both sides of the alley. Capabilities are irrelevant with DC brand.
A battery that can be recharged in the case is completely different than one that needs to be removed when it is exhausted.
My attempt was not to demonstrate that 'Shearwater users were unhappy with their computers', read again please. What I am saying is that with EVERY brand and product, there are happy and unhappy owners.
I was going to quote your earlier message, but you did it yourself. You were attempting to show that there are happy and unhappy owners by linking two threads showing happy SW owners that experienced a failure? OK. That makes no sense to me.
Products fail. You on the other hand mentioned that from what you read from Suunto owners you are happy you don't own any of their gear. Well, read from this happy owner. I am sure there are many more around this forum.
Fair enough. Now I know one. Not sure if you've had a warranty issue that needed to be taken care of or not. Usually that, and the response, is what makes owners unhappy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom