Sudden Shearwater Perdix AI malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Shearwater Perdix AI suddenly wasn't turning on after a battery change today.

I purchased my Shearwater Perdix AI in June of this year - and did about 65 dives with it.

During those 4 months of diving I changed the batteries about thrice.

Always the day after a dive when it was dry and indoors.

I am preparing for a trip in the new few days to Indonesia - so I turned on the computer to check the battery and decided to change it. My last dive was about 30 days ago.

I popped in a new battery but it wouldn't turn on.

It should automatically turn on when you insert a new battery and give you the option to calibrate.

I tried a second battery, a third battery, a fourth battery - all new from the same pack (Alkaline).

Nothing.

I made sure to insert it positive side. Still nothing.

Tried the battery that was in it before changing - still nothing.

I peered into the battery storage compartment - no debris. Smooth like the day I bought it.

After around 10 attempts - it turned on but after about a minute of inserting the battery ( the one that was initially in it).

Slightly relieved, I took out the battery and inserted a new one.

Same thing.

Had to try another 5 or 10 times before it started up again. But always after about a minute of inserting the battery. Not right away (turn on) as it should.

Now its working and turning on/off but I don't want to take the battery out again - lest it not start up indefinitely. I want it functioning for the trip.

I cannot imagine what could've happened.

Just a heads up.

My Shearwater Perdix AI suddenly wasn't turning on after a battery change today.

I purchased my Shearwater Perdix AI in June of this year - and did about 65 dives with it.

During those 4 months of diving I changed the batteries about thrice.

Always the day after a dive when it was dry and indoors.

I am preparing for a trip in the new few days to Indonesia - so I turned on the computer to check the battery and decided to change it. My last dive was about 30 days ago.

I popped in a new battery but it wouldn't turn on.

It should automatically turn on when you insert a new battery and give you the option to calibrate.

I tried a second battery, a third battery, a fourth battery - all new from the same pack (Alkaline).

Nothing.

I made sure to insert it positive side. Still nothing.

Tried the battery that was in it before changing - still nothing.

I peered into the battery storage compartment - no debris. Smooth like the day I bought it.

After around 10 attempts - it turned on but after about a minute of inserting the battery ( the one that was initially in it).

Slightly relieved, I took out the battery and inserted a new one.

Same thing.

Had to try another 5 or 10 times before it started up again. But always after about a minute of inserting the battery. Not right away (turn on) as it should.

Now its working and turning on/off but I don't want to take the battery out again - lest it not start up indefinitely. I want it functioning for the trip.

I cannot imagine what could've happened.

Just a heads up.
You should call Shearwater as somethimg is not right and I don’t know that I’d trust that unit when heading out on a trip to Indonesia?

I also surprised you have changed the battery 3 times with 65 dives since June. That seems off as well unless you were just changing batteries proactively and not based on a low battery warning?

3 times does seem like a lot of changes for 64 dives. That is closer to what I have to do for my Petrel which consumes a lot more battery power than my wife's Perdix.

You should call Shearwater as somethimg is not right and I don’t know that I’d trust that unit when heading out on a trip to Indonesia?

I also surprised you have changed the battery 3 times with 65 dives since June. That seems off as well unless you were just changing batteries proactively and not based on a low battery warning?

I did send a detailed email to shearwater.
The first sentence was 'I am in a state of panic'. Lol

Thank you for mentioning reliability and my impending trip. Very thoughtful of you.
It did occur to me - if it fails, I'll rent one from the dive center.
Would be devastated not being able to my perdix on my trip.

I was really (am) looking forward to capturing all my dive data during the upcoming 7 day dive trip.

I changed batteries every time I got a low battery warning.

I have the brightness on the brightest setting.
I routinely upload my dive logs to my desktop via Bluetooth.

Of the 65 dives, I had it on 2-second internal data recording which does affect battery.
Water temp was 26 to 28 celcius while service temps were 35 to 40 celcius.

Still, I also felt that the battery would prematurely deplete.

3 times does seem like a lot of changes for 64 dives. That is closer to what I have to do for my Petrel which consumes a lot more battery power than my wife's Perdix.

I agree but didn't have the mental capacity to contact shearwater about it.

I'm far more concerned about the sudden malfunction about the battery premature ejaculation syndrome.
Alas, they could be related?

Consider a switch to Lithium, battery life is double Alkaline, no fear of leaks, they don't lose any charge when turned off.

Shearwater customer service has been good, I hope you'll be sorted out and can let us know what happened.

Hello folks

Shearwater got in touch with me a day before I left with the aim of getting a new watch in my hands (pun intended) by any means.

I mentioned that I'd be in Singapore for 2 full days. They even asked me to check which retailers would be nearby to me.

They then got in contact with a Singapore outlet to take my faulty unit and give me a new one.
Just.Like.That.

$8 and 60 minutes later I'm browsing the shop 'Living Oceans' with a new perdix ai.
The guy over at the dive shop told me that failure from the battery compartment is not uncommon with Shearwater devices. Not just the perdix, but others as well. Hmmm

Lovely although I hated to waste a few hours of my holiday. Had to leave where I was to go back to the hotel, pick up my dive computer, trek to the place and back.

Now I just need to figure out how to restore my dives to the new dive computer. So that my next dive is registered as #66 not #1.

In fact, I need to figure out how to amend those 65 dives to start at 200, because that's how many dives I had prior to acquiring the perdix ai.

Then I'll need to pair it with my transmitter.

Dive Log, Next Log, edit

Do you have a shearwater ?
Because your reply wasn't very helpful.
I was able to set the next five to #66 but wasn't able to upload my dive log to the watch via my phone.

Would appreciate full responses overstate feel free to not to waste your time and my time with unuseful posts.

Dive log, next log, edit.

Really?
Does this help me and answer my query?

Ok
So I entered the edit screen, what do I do to upload the logs from my application to my new computer?

Do you have a shearwater ?
Because your reply wasn't very helpful.
I was able to set the next five to #66 but wasn't able to upload my dive log to the watch via my phone.

Would appreciate full responses overstate feel free to not to waste your time with unuseful posts.

Yes I have a shearwater.
I posted the menu sequence to edit the starting number of your first dive on the new computer. Perhaps that wasn't clear. But it is the part of your post that I quoted and was therefore answering.

Turn computer on
A few left presses gives Dive Log
1 right button press to enter dive log
1 left button press
You are now at "Next Log"
Edit is right button
Then left and right buttons to change to the number you want to start recording at.

But apparently you already figured that out now.

Oh, and skip the attitude next time and someone might help you with the rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom