Just cause I opted in???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai:
Maybe you could make the DIR forum opt in and make them register in this manner also.
We've been looking at methods to make an opt-in forum that defaults to 'in' [on another board]. It's not the simpliest of tasks, and for something like the DIR forum, it really isn't that necessary; as most people have some semblance of self control.

I've never looked at the source to vBulletin, however I assume forum membership is data driven. That said it seems like you could just change a forum to opt-in, do and update on the table to opt everyone in and then put a trigger on the table to opt all new users in. Then a user could go back and opt out for there user record.

I'm available at my standard bill rate of $150/hour if you need some help.

As a general rule we try to avoid hacking anything as it creates problems with upgrades, we have however thought of ways to do this... and we have a very nice sys admin already thank you!

Northeastwrecks:
That board has its own special way of dealing with people who lack self-control. Trust me, its not an issue.

Spectre003:
We've been looking at methods to make an opt-in forum that defaults to 'in' [on another board].

He said it, not me. It's not about self control, its about addressing a fundamental feature that is missing in vBulletin. The ability to opt out of a forum so that posts dont appear on the new posts query. They somewhat have that feature now, except its useless since everyone would have to opt-in instead.

There is this cool little feature in the "view new posts" screen...believe it or not...it actually TELLS YOU which forum the post is in. Here's what you do...you look down the column listing the fourm the post is in and anytime it reads DIR...you simply don't click on that specific post.

Edited by Uncle Pug... I can ONLY imagine what you really posted... very typical.

Besides this isnt about DIR. Its about improving software to make it more useful. It could be anything from single divers, to cooking food, to DIR to diving in asia. A user should be able to control what shows up when hitting new posts.

Actually it wasn't that big of a deal Chris. Let it go.

As for controlling what shows up when hitting new posts I agree it would be nice. Since I don't always look at the forum the post is in more than once I've inadvertently ended up in the ladies room.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom