Just bought a new camera :) Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4thephil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I've very excited for my new underwater camera! It is the Intova IC 600. I also bought a flash diffuser. My question is, should I invest in a strobe (max price I would pay is $200).

I am definitely the occasional diver. So far, I have my certification dives under my belt, and for my last spring break ever (tear) will be going down to the Florida Keys, getting my friend certified, and doing some wreck and reef diving (20' - 75'). (Dont hate me for this part) but I don't plan on diving more than 5 times a year, which will be mostly spontaneous dives. I bought the camera just to capture some photos. They don't need to be as clear as my out of water camera, but I want to see what I'm taking a picture of! Do you think I should buy a strobe for the amount of diving I will be doing in my life?

Oh, and on that note, should I buy a light (for either a substitute to a camera strobe or to be diving in 60')? My dives will always be during the day.

A dive-light is unlikely to be much help for photos. The light from a dive light is much less intense that that from a strobe, so it is not going to help your photos much. In clear waters a light is not nessisary for open water dives to 60ft. That said I myself always keep a small LED light on my BC with a retractor. Since it's always there I can use it to look under small legdes and crevices that are dark, and it's still there as a backup for night dives.

I would recommend to all UW photographers to use as good a strobe as they can get and learn how to use it. The only exception I can think of is someone who only dives in clear tropical waters and less that say 20 ft. A strobe allows you many more options in your photos and allows good photos where you may only get a blue blur without a strobe.

You may have a difficult time finding a quality strobe for that budget, however.

Last edited:
Yes! 2 Strobes would be even better. That way you'll get less shadow and even more light.
Intova/Pixtreme make a couple of inexpensive strobes
I have 2 of the Pixtreme PX21 They can be found for $100 each.
Intova recently released a more powerful strobe that cost about $40 more but should be worth the cost.

Should you get a strobe? Yes, absolutely. To add to what Bipartitus mentioned, the strobe will add the missing colors back to your photo and you won't get those blurry photos.
For affordable strobes within that price range, you might wanna look into the Fantasea and Sealife. Hope this helps.

I won't say don't spend the money on a strobe, but I would recommend that you "road test" the camera first and get used to it. Not saying the IC600 is no good (we use a IC500 for all of the pictures taken on our turtle tours Snorkel Kauai Hawaii - The Turtle Tour Private Snorkel Tour), just saying the intova's take a little getting used to and are not as forgiving as some cameras you may be used to. If you try it out and like it a lot, a strobe will only enhance your pictures :)

Yes! 2 Strobes would be even better. That way you'll get less shadow and even more light.
Intova/Pixtreme make a couple of inexpensive strobes
I have 2 of the Pixtreme PX21 They can be found for $100 each.
Intova recently released a more powerful strobe that cost about $40 more but should be worth the cost.

Wow, you definitely hid the nail on the head. I just came to reply to everyone's comments about the PX21, and wanted to asked your opinion. It's only $100, and seems like a good deal. Would it do ANYTHING at all?

And can you please tell me the one that costs $40 more that is a little better? Thanks! Is this it?: (search amazon: INTOVA ISTR Slave Strobe with Flex Arm and Base Plate)

Here'e 2 more quick question about using a strobe: My buddy and I will be diving off a boat with other divers in the Florida Keys.
1) Does the flash travel far and can it be seen from far? Would it be bothering other divers if (*when*) I will be taking a picture every 30 seconds (it'll be happening, haha)
2) Do all dive boats / dive masters allow flash photography UW? Could it be harmful to the fish / other divers, and thus could / does the Dive Master ever not allow it?

1) A Strobe should include a specification of guide number, this gives you some idea of how far the light can travel and still be "bright". A UW P&S strobe like Ikelite's AF35 has an underwater guide number of 16 feet, meaning it will be relatively bright up to 16 feet away. Note that underwater the flashes typically have about half the guide number as they have on the surface. Will other divers see it, sure. I wouldn't expect many to be bothered with a small strobe (unless your taking pictures of them every 30 seconds :) )

2) I can't say as I have heard of any DMs not allowing flash photography. Strobes aren't harmful to much. If anything you could startle some skittish fish or marine life. Most of the time that would just result in a fish swimming away or darting into a hole in the reef.

Now that you mention it, I have heard of some National Parks that don't allow flash photography on land to prevent startling and disturbing wildlife. As mentioned, I haven't heard of this underwater.

1) A Strobe should include a specification of guide number, this gives you some idea of how far the light can travel and still be "bright". A UW P&S strobe like Ikelite's AF35 has an underwater guide number of 16 feet, meaning it will be relatively bright up to 16 feet away. Note that underwater the flashes typically have about half the guide number as they have on the surface. Will other divers see it, sure. I wouldn't expect many to be bothered with a small strobe (unless your taking pictures of them every 30 seconds :) )

2) I can't say as I have heard of any DMs not allowing flash photography. Strobes aren't harmful to much. If anything you could startle some skittish fish or marine life. Most of the time that would just result in a fish swimming away or darting into a hole in the reef.

Now that you mention it, I have heard of some National Parks that don't allow flash photography on land to prevent startling and disturbing wildlife. As mentioned, I haven't heard of this underwater.

Thanks for the great explanation :) I am deciding between the Intova ISTR and the Intova PX21. The px21 has a guide rating of 12 (Iso 100m). The ISTR has a guide rating of 60/20, and settings for 10%, 25, 50% and 100% power. Is 60 feet guide rating "good"? Would it be better to have a more powerful flash but less of a guide rating, or do these 2 come hand in hand (directly related)?

I guess my main concern, which you may have already addressed, is, I am going to be taking A LOT of pictures (bringing 10GB of SD cards (!)), and I don't want to bother other divers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom