Just bought a new camera :) Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the time guide number is directly related to power. However the coverage angle of a strobe is also a consideration. A strobe with a narrow beam can have a high guide number, but only cover a small angle. A more powerful strobe with a wide beam may have a lower guide number since light is spread out more.

I'm not familiar with Intova strobes, but with a spec "Guide No. 60/20" I would expect this to mean 60 feet on land and either 20 meters on land, or 20 feet in the water. Not sure. A strobe this small wouldn't have a rating of 60 feet underwater. I'm not sure if an underwater strobe that powerful is made by any company.

About underwater lights: I dont care how clear the water is, at anything below 15 feet you want to have a nice bright light so that you can see the colors that the underwater world has to offer. Invest in a decent light and you wont be dissapointed.

I sell the same strobe that Intova has relabeled. It is the UltraPower made by UltraMax and has a GN of 18. I think older specs said a GN of 20. The other important spec is that the beam angle of coverage on it is 60 degrees. So maybe that's why they are saying 20/60.

It's well-made with a magnetic switch, push button LEDs for power, sealed battery compartment, etc. Not a bad starter strobe at all for $189 with a sync cord.

UMXSP.jpg

Jack

Power and range come hand in hand (directly related). Watch the guide numbers carefully the ISTR 60/20 means 60 feet /20 meters @ ISO 100 (20 meters should be 66 feet so one of the numbers is off)
The Pixtreme is 12 meters and has High, Medium and Low output settings.
I have 2 of the PX21 and IMHO the features of the ISTR are enough to justify the extra expense.

I sell the same strobe that Intova has relabeled. It is the UltraPower made by UltraMax and has a GN of 18. I think older specs said a GN of 20. The other important spec is that the beam angle of coverage on it is 60 degrees. So maybe that's why they are saying 20/60.

It's well-made with a magnetic switch, push button LEDs for power, sealed battery compartment, etc. Not a bad starter strobe at all for $189 with a sync cord.

UMXSP.jpg

Jack
A google search for the Intova ISTR shows it can be had for less than $110 with a tray and flex arm the sync cable is another $15

I think it is degrees of coverage Guide Number 20 (at the surface--air), 60 degrees of coverage. I think the Inon D2000 is 20/100 in that it covers a 100 degree pattern. With diffuser up to 110 degrees but less power obviously diffused over the larger area.

Sounds like that little strobe would do fine especially as long as not shooting wide angle and even wide angle if paired up. Looks nice.

110 dollars?

N

I think it is degrees of coverage Guide Number 20 (at the surface--air), 60 degrees of coverage. I think the Inon D2000 is 20/100 in that it covers a 100 degree pattern. With diffuser up to 110 degrees but less power obviously diffused over the larger area.

Sounds like that little strobe would do fine especially as long as not shooting wide angle and even wide angle if paired up. Looks nice.

110 dollars?

N
Actually less!
INTOVA ISS2000 ISTR STROBE FOR INTVIC10

Thank you everyone for all of your input. I have decided to buy the Intova ISTR. I will be going down to Florida early March, and I would love to come back and post my photos with my new strobe and Intova 6 MP IC600, and leave my feedback on the 2 devices, particularly the strobe. What things would you like to know about it, or what thinks should I be on the look out for when using it?

Here'e 2 more quick question about using a strobe: My buddy and I will be diving off a boat with other divers in the Florida Keys.
1) Does the flash travel far and can it be seen from far? Would it be bothering other divers if (*when*) I will be taking a picture every 30 seconds (it'll be happening, haha)
2) Do all dive boats / dive masters allow flash photography UW? Could it be harmful to the fish / other divers, and thus could / does the Dive Master ever not allow it?

From how far away you can see a flash and how far away from a subject it can be to effectively expose it are two different things. Even quality strobes are not very effective for exposure more than 4 feet away from the subject. On wide angle shots, trying to show the reef for example, you may even want to turn off your strobe to avoid backscatter.

Most dive boats in the Keys do not send the DM in the water with the divers, you and your buddy are on your own, it's not a "follow the DM" routine. So you won't bother other divers, they probably aren't near you anyway. And if you do bother them they will just swim away somewhere different.

Have fun.

From how far away you can see a flash and how far away from a subject it can be to effectively expose it are two different things. Even quality strobes are not very effective for exposure more than 4 feet away from the subject. On wide angle shots, trying to show the reef for example, you may even want to turn off your strobe to avoid backscatter.

Most dive boats in the Keys do not send the DM in the water with the divers, you and your buddy are on your own, it's not a "follow the DM" routine. So you won't bother other divers, they probably aren't near you anyway. And if you do bother them they will just swim away somewhere different.

Have fun.

Thanks for explaining that! This might not be a simple question, but how do I know if I should use the strobe or not? What if I want to take a picture of other divers swimming the reefs that I see 15 feet away? What if I want to take a picture of the reef 2 feet away, 10 feet away, 20 feet away? (Sorry for such noob questions)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom