Just bought 1st reg/gauge set from LDS used, good deal or they dump junk on me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got back from the LDS, they convieniently (or inconvieniently depending on how you look at it) had their fall rental gear sale the day before I go to my pool class for certification (this weekend) and I picked up my first reg/gauge set ever. Its a Mares MR12dfc with an axis second and and axis octo, also got an aeris 3 gauge thing of unknown specific model (depth to 200 with max dive depth thing and tank pressure with temp gauge on front and a compass on back). Everything is somewhat cosmetically beat up from all the rental time, especially the 2nd stages plastic covers and purge buttons, but it looks solid and was all serviced prior to sale. Forgot to ask what the warranty was but its all guarenteed to work im sure and ill be testing it tomorrow.

Payed $145 for the axis/mr12dfc, $50 for the axis octo and $99 for the aeris gauges. At a total of $301.98 after tax I know thats alot off of their new prices, but this gear is all somewhat old I think (the gauges seem newer) and I wonder if maybe getting new stuff off of scubatoys or something wouldn't have been better. This is sorta "starter" gear, but should do everything but the deeper colder places up here that I cant go much yet anyways, and ill be selling it cheap to my friend later so he can get into scuba and buy an mr22/abyss

I notice these axis 2nds dont say "pro" on them what newer feature am i missing? I can only guess the date as right after the dfc stuff came out since I think that was the only time they bothered to print that on the regs instead of considering it a standard feature. Some of the stuff they were selling they said was reliable 10 year old rental stuff so who knows.

That's way too much, IMO. That amount of money should be able to buy new regs (scubatoys does have some nice packages and great service)

What kind of service are you getting from the dive shop? Will the service them yearly for free? If they break on you a year and a half from now, will they replace them? If the answer to those is no, you got hosed. If yes, then they're OK, just beware of freezing if you're diving cold local waters.

yep, this sounds like good starter gear, and you LDS sold it for about their cost price. The cosmetics dont matter too much, and it can always serve as a backup reg when you get your abyss.

from what I remember the DFC never came on the MR12, and DFC has been around for about ten years at least.

Ouch, hosed sounds bad.
I didn't think it was THAT bad a deal, if thats so then iam done with dive shops, they can fill my my tanks (if I ever get as far as buying them) and thats it.

I'll hafta ask what kinda of warranty or service agreement this comes with, I kinda got talked into it cuz I knew that reg to be sturdy (or so I thought) and it was substantially cheaper then what they wanted for the new version. I've kinda made friends with the people there, or so I thought anyways.

The dfc is listed as standard equipment on all mares regs now according to the catalog, I just assumed this reg was from when that 1st came out or somewhat after since I don't remember seeing dfc actually printed on the outside of the new ones like mine has on it. It actually says mr12dfc on the 1st stage.

I think the gauges at least were a decent deal, they seemed to be the good high $100 version from a vew years ago. I noted they glow in the dark too when I held it near a light to test the temp gauge, seems kinda dumb since if you have a light to make it glow you don't need it to glow and it would fade before you'd check it again.

I just looked at this stuff in comparison to ebay and taking into account that it was all serviced and guarenteed to work. Plus I suppose they'd be more sympathetic to fixing the small later problems cheap or free since they sold it to me.

EDIT: heres exactly what I got:
http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/reg/416185
same color and everything, and that one even says dfc so maybe its not that old afterall. I just realized I was supposed to get a ten percent discount too and didnt, so it would be about $30 less total cost than what I payed.
This appears to be what replaced my gauge set, its almost the same, just shuffled around some.
http://www.divebooty.com/equipment_details.asp?pid=2107

These days all Mares MR-12 firsts are DFC. Dont worry about that. It's a good thing.

I'm assuming you got the following
MR-12 first stage, Axis second stage
Axis second stage Octo
SPG Depth guage Console
Hoses.
Warranty.

$301 would be a very good price for new, but not so great used.
New you could easily get that gear for $360. If you really shopped around $340.
Most shops charge much more.

There are a lot things that affect the price of gear, new or used. But, the key is, do they work? How do you feel you were treated by your LDS? Personally, I'd just go dive and have fun, don't sweat whether your LDS made an extra buck off you. As you spend more time researching other shops, the net, and this board, you'll learn what things are worth in your area and what the industry says about them.

I went the opposite route, paid $75 for a new sherwood 3 gauge compact console, and just purchased a new Zeagle 50D/ZX from a *non authorized* DS for $229 + shipping so about $325 for all new, and the both products should last me a VERY long time.

I have spent $400+ in training and minor accessories with my LDS in the past couple months, but sorry LDS, purchasing an *authorized* Zeagle Envoy Deluxe for $500 was just NOT going to happen when I can get an even better setup with a sealed 1st stage for less than half the price.

As for what you paid, don't EVEN go look at EBay. I've seen newer setups with proof of recent service go for less than half of what you paid, and they likely had a LOT less miles on them.

LDS's certainly have a right to make profit where they can, but that rental gear was likely used hard, put up wet (pun intended), and depreciated down to zero long before the sale. The LDS's may want to make it sound like they have your VERY BEST interest in mind, but IMO this is an example where that is not that case.

Plus, so much for NOT selling gear to non-certified divers as you are NOT certified yet? Small point, but one LDS's owners seem to want to make as to why one should NEVER stray from the LDS's.

Ron

84CJ7:
I just got back from the LDS, they convieniently (or inconvieniently depending on how you look at it) had their fall rental gear sale the day before I go to my pool class for certification (this weekend) and I picked up my first reg/gauge set ever. Its a Mares MR12dfc with an axis second and and axis octo, also got an aeris 3 gauge thing of unknown specific model (depth to 200 with max dive depth thing and tank pressure with temp gauge on front and a compass on back). Everything is somewhat cosmetically beat up from all the rental time, especially the 2nd stages plastic covers and purge buttons, but it looks solid and was all serviced prior to sale. Forgot to ask what the warranty was but its all guarenteed to work im sure and ill be testing it tomorrow.

Payed $145 for the axis/mr12dfc, $50 for the axis octo and $99 for the aeris gauges. At a total of $301.98 after tax I know thats alot off of their new prices, but this gear is all somewhat old I think (the gauges seem newer) and I wonder if maybe getting new stuff off of scubatoys or something wouldn't have been better. This is sorta "starter" gear, but should do everything but the deeper colder places up here that I cant go much yet anyways, and ill be selling it cheap to my friend later so he can get into scuba and buy an mr22/abyss

I notice these axis 2nds dont say "pro" on them what newer feature am i missing? I can only guess the date as right after the dfc stuff came out since I think that was the only time they bothered to print that on the regs instead of considering it a standard feature. Some of the stuff they were selling they said was reliable 10 year old rental stuff so who knows.

I had those regs listed here for $80 for the 1st/second and $40 for the octo. I ended up listing them on Ebay and got $60.99 for the 1st/second and $53 for the octo. I sold my guage for $31 including shipping, so about $25.

So that's $138.99 that I sold the stuff for, not counting a pressure guage.. so about $200.

That price sounds a little steep for used and abused rental gear and you still need a BC. If I were you I would look at other options. My LDS will sell you a Aqualung BC, Reg, octo, guage for five hundred and the gear is only used for one year and comes with full warranties and free service if anything goes wrong. Oh and the gear is rated for cold and deep water use.

Back
Top Bottom